Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Lehigh County)

Thumbs up Midland's Paul Phillips part of world-record four-mile rifle shot

Paul Phillips has forged tremendous success in his 25 years as a competitive marksman. But what he and his 13-member team did less than one year ago is unprecedented in the history of rifle shooting.

Phillips has amassed 47 national records, 14 national championships, three U.S. Team gold medals and one individual gold medal at the world championships, three "King of 2-Mile" championships, an International Distinguished Shooting Medal, and a Congressional Medal for lifetime achievements in shooting.

https://www.ourmidland.com/sports/ar...photo-19673347

Default Re: Midland's Paul Phillips part of world-record four-mile rifle shot

I'd be impressed with a 4 mile rifle shot if it didn't take 69 shots to connect to the target once. What's the saying about monkeys, typewriters and Shakespeare?

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by Lucas View Post
    I'd be impressed with a 4 mile rifle shot if it didn't take 69 shots to connect to the target once. What's the saying about monkeys, typewriters and Shakespeare?
    Yea, throw enough lead and youll hit something eventually.
    69 shots is quite a damn few for what seems like a high accuracy situation.
    Wonder how big the target it?
    I probably couldn't hit a barn at 400 feet so please dont think im denying the accomplishment. I would just think he would of practiced before doing it officially, and it would have taken far less shots.

(Montgomery County)

I agree, great feat but 69 shots seems like an awful lot. If I had to do it I'd just burn out the barrel with 1000rds and call it a day... I'd like to know more about the target size and how close the 68 misses were to the target.

(Lehigh County)

The apogee of the shot was 2300 ft. How many clicks on a 1/4 moa scope is that?

Considering the relatively light weight of the projectile and all of the conditions that affect the trajectory I'm surprised that they did score a hit.
    NRA Life Member

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by oldengineer View Post
    The apogee of the shot was 2300 ft. How many clicks on a 1/4 moa scope is that?

Considering the relatively light weight of the projectile and all of the conditions that affect the trajectory I'm surprised that they did score a hit.
    I'm sure skill had tremendous influence in getting the shot near the target, but at that distance, is luck really not at least 50% of the equation?