Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    (York County)

Default Barrel length for handgun hunting?

Looking to pick up an X-frame Smith, most likely a 500 mag. I wanted a performance center model with a 7.5 inch barrel as it would be easier to handle, but am now unsure if the 10.5 inch is the way to go.

The 10.5 has a rail integral to the barrel, so less parts to come loose is a plus, as I would mount a red dot. But I'm mainly concerned about the velocity difference. I don't see myself taking a shot past 100 yards with a handgun, especially without magnification. Soooo, 100 yards and in, would the 7.5 inch barrel be enough to take a whitetail or would I need the 10.5 for the extra velocity?

Edit, ammo would likely be standard factory 350 grain xtp bullet, or similar

(Chester County)

Default Re: Barrel length for handgun hunting?

Do you want to handgun hunt, or rifle hunt? 7.5 is plenty.

(Berks County)

What animal? 357 is fine for deer. 500 in any barrel length will ventilate a deer.
    The Gun is the Badge of a Free Man

(Erie County)

I have taken deer with my 6" Anaconda , And I can hit a clay Pidgeon at 100 yards with the scope. If you feel the need for the extra length go for it,
    We the people love our country so let the government fear us.

(York County)

Quote Originally Posted by Gunsnwater View Post
    What animal? 357 is fine for deer. 500 in any barrel length will ventilate a deer.
    So a 3 or 4 inch barreled 500 could take down a deer at 100 yards? Interesting.

I was having trouble finding ballistics charts for 500 ammo at varying distances. I would imagine the heavy bullets would drop off quickly.

(Erie County)

Quote Originally Posted by 24/7dude View Post

I was having trouble finding ballistics charts for 500 ammo at varying distances. I would imagine the heavy bullets would drop off quickly.
    windage and elevation
    We the people love our country so let the government fear us.

If you find one (ballistic chart) I bet you find that there is a big drop in energy at 100 yards when going from a 3” or 4” barrel to a 7” plus. 10” maybe overkill but I would be real sure before you invest.

I’m sure there are some handgun hunting forms out there with good data.

(Bucks County)

The ability to hit a deer at 100 yards (with or without magnification) depends on how well you can hold and shoot a handgun. Not the bullet drop. I shoot a Contender pistol and have a number of different barrels for it. I have some 14 inch barrels with higher power scopes that can easily shoot under an inch at 100 yards (and two inches and a little low at 200 yards) when rested on a bench. But try and steady a long and heavy barrel like that and shoot offhand and you would be lucky to hit a paper plate at 100. I can shoot better groups with one of the lighter 10 inch iron sighted barrels.

Maybe I am just getting old and don't have the upper body strength I used to but you should try and handle the pistols you are thinking about. A Smith 500 weighs a lot more than a Contender does but if you can handle the weight of a 10 inch barrel with a scope go for it. If it is too heavy to hold steady (and it is for most people) you will not be handicapped by going to a 7.5 inch or even shorter barrel.

If you are just going for deer a 500 is way over the top. Consider a 44 mag or hot loaded 45 LC. Even with a 300 grain bullet going "only" 1300 fps you will never find a bullet in a whitetail.

(Berks County)

I would not want to shoot a 3inch 500.

(Berks County)

Quote Originally Posted by Delkal View Post
    The ability to hit a deer at 100 yards (with or without magnification) depends on how well you can hold and shoot a handgun. Not the bullet drop. I shoot a Contender pistol and have a number of different barrels for it. I have some 14 inch barrels with higher power scopes that can easily shoot under an inch at 100 yards (and two inches and a little low at 200 yards) when rested on a bench. But try and steady a long and heavy barrel like that and shoot offhand and you would be lucky to hit a paper plate at 100. I can shoot better groups with one of the lighter 10 inch iron sighted barrels.

Maybe I am just getting old and don't have the upper body strength I used to but you should try and handle the pistols you are thinking about. A Smith 500 weighs a lot more than a Contender does but if you can handle the weight of a 10 inch barrel with a scope go for it. If it is too heavy to hold steady (and it is for most people) you will not be handicapped by going to a 7.5 inch or even shorter barrel.

If you are just going for deer a 500 is way over the top. Consider a 44 mag or hot loaded 45 LC. Even with a 300 grain bullet going "only" 1300 fps you will never find a bullet in a whitetail.
    Thats what shooting sticks are for. I have a primos trigger stick mono. Has a rubber v with velcro strap and the trigger releases the collapsible stick. Keep arms away from fire.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast