Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    (Jefferson County)

Default Re: Barrel length for handgun hunting?

You'll probably lose/gain 20 to 50 fps per inch. That is about what most cartridges lose/gain.

If you'll be using iron sights, the longer barrel will provide a longer sight radius, which will be more accurate because of that. If you'll be using some sort of optics, then the longer barrel will only give you a few more feet per second. ...and with a 500S&W, it really isn't needed.
    RIP: SFN, 1861, twoeggsup, Lambo, jamesjo, JayBell, 32 Magnum, Pro2A, mrwildroot, dregan, Frenchy, Fragger, ungawa, Mtn Jack, Grapeshot, R.W.J., PennsyPlinker, Statkowski, Deanimator, roland, aubie515

Don't end up in my signature!

(York County)

Quote Originally Posted by knight0334 View Post
    You'll probably lose/gain 20 to 50 fps per inch. That is about what most cartridges lose/gain.

If you'll be using iron sights, the longer barrel will provide a longer sight radius, which will be more accurate because of that. If you'll be using some sort of optics, then the longer barrel will only give you a few more feet per second. ...and with a 500S&W, it really isn't needed.
    Didn't know that, thanks for the info ��

(York County)

Quote Originally Posted by knight0334 View Post

Didn't know that, thanks for the info 👍

(Luzerne County)

Well, I*ve been handgun hunting for 25+ years and hunt with a variety of handguns;

7.5* Super Blackhawk.44 Magnum (Burris Fastfire because I can*t see the front sight! lol)
    9.5* Super Redhawk .44 Magnum (scoped)
    14* T/C Contenders in .44 Magnum and 7-30 Waters (both scoped)

I use a Primos Trigger Stick, especially with the longer barrels. The scoped handguns are sighted in at 100 yards, the SBH is sighted in at 50 yards.

The longer barreled handguns need a good rest to be accurate at distance. Using the trigger stick or sitting and using my knees. The shorter SBH is quick handling and I have shoot respectable groups at 100 yards.

The 7.5* is plenty long enough as long as you do your part. I use this handgun when pussyfooting around the woods and the longer barreled handguns when I*ll be sitting on stands most of the day.

First try shooting that hand-cannon at a 6in target at 100yds. If ya can't hit it consistantly , ya probably shouldn't be shooting at deer with it.
    I don't speak English , I talk American!

(Lehigh County)

I have a number of 7 1/2" barreled guns and while most are tack drivers I find that they all are a bit nose heavy.
    The longer sight radius of the longer barrel is good if you are shooting irons but once you add the optic the only benefit is a bit of extra velocity, which on the 500 is really not going to make that much difference at longer ranges.

IMHO my 5 1/2" Redhawk and 6.25" BFR balance just about perfectly without giving up so much barrel length that velocity suffers.
    I have shot the X-Frame guns in 500 S&W and feel that even in the 7 1/2" length they just don't balance well when shot offhand.

6" barrel using .357 is the minimum I would use. Grandfather took many a buck with his Colt Trooper MKIII, I witnessed and had to drag out the deer back in the day for him!
    My GGG Grandpappy,front row (20th NC, Co. F.) and Family Circa 1900.

(Allegheny County)

I agree PA350z but one co-worker of mine hunts out of tree stands and gets his deer every year with a 4inch GP100. He swears by the 180 grainers. I bought my dad a blued Taurus 66 6inch back in the 90s when i was stationed at Bragg. He's taken at least three deer that I know of with that.

(Lehigh County)

Quote Originally Posted by rich e View Post
    I agree PA350z but one co-worker of mine hunts out of tree stands and gets his deer every year with a 4inch GP100. He swears by the 180 grainers. I bought my dad a blued Taurus 66 6inch back in the 90s when i was stationed at Bragg. He's taken at least three deer that I know of with that.
    If you limit the range, and are very practiced, I can see the shorter barrel working, but I like having a bit of margin to work with so I also agree the six incher (or more) is the way to go.
    Illegitimus non carborundum est

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123