Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Default Re: Barrel length for handgun hunting?

I hunt with a 44mag 10.5" Blackhawk and I'll tell the OP this............get the 6.5 or 7.5".
    Holding up a 10.5" barrel and waiting for an opening or for when your object is looking away sucks! With the scope and the extra long barrel, it's hard to hold steady if you are holding it out for any length of time. And don't try steadying it against a tree unless you don't mind losing an eye or being called Barkface" for awhile!
    Engineers make things idiot proof! Evolution makes better idiots!

Quote Originally Posted by Boo Vuccla View Post
    I hunt with a 44mag 10.5" Blackhawk and I'll tell the OP this............get the 6.5 or 7.5".
    Holding up a 10.5" barrel and waiting for an opening or for when your object is looking away sucks! With the scope and the extra long barrel, it's hard to hold steady if you are holding it out for any length of time. And don't try steadying it against a tree unless you don't mind losing an eye or being called Barkface" for awhile!
    I also have a 10.5 inch SBH and have no objection to it. Mine is iron sighted, so that would make a slight difference. I am in decent shape, but don't look like the Incredible Hulk either. Shooting 100 rounds a month starting in the spring at various silhouette woods walks probably helps. To the OP. I shoot a ton of .44 magnum, loaded up pretty hot into the high 1500 fps catagory. I shoot a friend's 454 one handed just for fun. The 500 is no joke. Unless you are an experienced big bore handgunner, I would suggest a different caliber for hunting. You are going to have a hard time killing a deer if you are focused on recoil management. (that's a nice way of saying you will flinch and anticipate recoil) As others have said, many calibers fit the bill for whitetail deer under 100 yards. If you want the 500 "just because", then I say go for it. May I suggest hunting with ear protection in place no matter what you pick.

(Lehigh County)

Haha this is awesome, I had no clue at all you could do something like this. I*ve never hunted but I think that*s bad-ass to go out there with essentially a sidearm with a long barrel
    -jFw

Ever wonder why there are so many S&W 500's on any used gun venue? They are expensive to buy and even more so to shoot. There is very little North American game that requires something of that power. A .44 Magnum will suffice in almost all instances. If you are stuck on getting a hyper-magnum, the 460 makes much more sense. Ballistically superior to the 500 with the added benefit of being able to use it with the "weaker" 454 Casull and for everyday use, the .45 Colt - which itself is adequate to harvest a whitetail.

Do yourself a favor and buy a Model 29/629 or a Model 25/625 in .45C with a 6" barrel and then use all the money you saved for ammo so you can become proficient with a handgun.

JMHO

Adios,

Pizza Bob
    NRA Benefactor Member

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by Pizza Bob View Post
    Ever wonder why there are so many S&W 500's on any used gun venue?
    And as a bonus the shop will usually throw in a box of ammo with 17 shots left.

And +1 on the 460 option or even slumming with a 454 Cassul. Load some standard velocity 45LC loads and it will be a pleasure to practice with.

(York County)

I know a .44 would be fine for hunting. Wanted an X frame as there's not much that can match the sheer fun of shooting it at the range as well . Ideally I would get both, but can only afford 1 right now. Some of the 500 loads I've shot in the past I thought felt comparable to shooting 45 colt. Then there's some like the 440 grain hardcast from underwood that leave your palm sore for a day but put a big smile on your face. They even make a 700 grain that I'd like to try out.

I was only originally concerned about the velocity of the rounds once they get out to 100 yards or so as I haven't seen any data on it.

I hate when people try to scare anyone away from these revolvers. If you're recoil sensitive, you can find ammo that you will enjoy shooting. If you like recoil....well you're not going to have a hard time finding rounds that pack a punch...that should be obvious. They're very versatile firearms.

My favorite was and still is my S&W 686,6 inch s/s 357 magnum in a DeSantis,crossdraw hoster !

(Lycoming County)

My 2¢

I've hunted with my super Blackhawk for a while now 7 1/2" model. I like it a lot. Added a Burris fast fire and it's great for me. I've shot various 500's and I think the shorter barrel is balanced better. Same with the 10 1/2 SBH. Seems too barrel heavy for me, especially if I would have to hold for a while. The real serious handgun hunting guys seem to favor the 460 now. The 500 is great for bringing big bore grins at the range, but the 460 is the big boy on the block for hunting from what I've seen. If I was going to get an X-framr, I think that's what I would go for.

Just my opinion, I will probably stick with 44mag personally, since I have several guns chambered in it already and load a bunch for it, so take it for what it's worth.

(York County)

Quote Originally Posted by R L Suehr View Post
    My 2¢

I've hunted with my super Blackhawk for a while now 7 1/2" model. I like it a lot. Added a Burris fast fire and it's great for me. I've shot various 500's and I think the shorter barrel is balanced better. Same with the 10 1/2 SBH. Seems too barrel heavy for me, especially if I would have to hold for a while. The real serious handgun hunting guys seem to favor the 460 now. The 500 is great for bringing big bore grins at the range, but the 460 is the big boy on the block for hunting from what I've seen. If I was going to get an X-framr, I think that's what I would go for.

Just my opinion, I will probably stick with 44mag personally, since I have several guns chambered in it already and load a bunch for it, so take it for what it's worth.
    Hmmmm the Preformance Center S&W 460 model with 7.5 inch barrel has a rail built into the barrel also.......thats nice

(Wayne County)

I*ve got a S&W 629 81/2 inch barrel and with gummy tips I can keep a 1 1/2 inch group at 100 yards. If your strictly hunting with the 500, longer is better for accuracy and velocity.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast