Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast
    (Allegheny County)

Default Allegheny County Sheriff's Office over 100 day waiting period to renew a LTCF!!!!

So my license to carry expires on August 28th. Like a good sheeple I go online to see what hours the Allegheny County Sheriff's Office has because I am now within the 60 day renewal period. Big banner on the web page says all LTCF must be by appointment only. OK. So I check the appointment dates. The first available date is not until November 2nd!!!! That's ridiculous. And of course all of the other open counties nearby such as Washington, Westmoreland etc. cannot give an out-of-County resident a LTCF - which is ridiculous. I can go to Wyoming County to get a marriage license, file for divorce, probate an estate etc. But I cannot get a LTCF - a state wide license, from any other Sheriff's Office. Why?

Default Re: Allegheny County Sheriff's Office over 100 day waiting period to renew a LTCF!!!!

Keep carrying. If stopped and arrested/fined, sue.

(Allegheny County)

Default Re: Allegheny County Sheriff's Office over 100 day waiting period to renew a LTCF!!!!

Wow!

I posted about that a few weeks back.
    Mine is expired. I got the first available (at that time) on September 29th.

I think the calendar you pick a date on has 5 minute increments for choosing a time.

Myst be record numbers applying!
    I called to check my ZIP CODE!....DY-NO-MITE!!!

(Butler County)

Worst comes to worst, maybe find a state where you can apply for a non-resident license to carry that has reciprocity with PA? (if that even works?)
    -Brandon

(Lycoming County)

Quote Originally Posted by pens87pgh View Post
    Worst comes to worst, maybe find a state where you can apply for a non-resident license to carry that has reciprocity with PA? (if that even works?)
    It doesn't.

(Beaver County)

Sounds like the wait is getting longer.

My wife made an appointment a week and a half ago and the earliest she could get was September 25.

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by HRoark View Post
    Sounds like the wait is getting longer.

My wife made an appointment a week and a half ago and the earliest she could get was September 25.
    If I were in this predicament, I would pony up some money with some others in the same situation and hire a lawyer to craft a sternly written letter. I would mail the letter, along with my application, via registered mail, to the sheriff. Start the 45 day clock when you are notified of the receipt of the application. Hell, you could even stick a $20 postal money order in there to be safe.

(Allegheny County)

From the Allegheny County Sheriff's Office Website:

Q: I was told that there is now a grace period of firearms licenses. Is this true?

A: Yes. Title 18, Section 6106 b(12) now clearly states that as long as you are eligible to renew your license, said license is still valid for six months beyond the printed expiration date on the card.

I wouldn't push the date but if the earliest you can get is November you are still OK.
    Let me help you out. Which way did you come in?

One more reason we need Constitutional Carry, ideally at the Federal level, incorporated via the 14th Amendment. It sucks that the McDonald v. Chicago ruling didn't also affirm the right to carry outside the home.

Even if PA honors the permit 6 months past expiration, I wouldn't want to push my luck in a reciprocal state on an expired permit. Is that enough standing for someone to sue? Probably not.
    I am not a lawyer.

(Allegheny County)

Thanks Mike and everyone for your input. Here is how that section of the code reads:

§ 6106. Firearms not to be carried without a license.

(b) Exceptions.--The provisions of subsection (a) shall not apply to:

(12) A person who has a lawfully issued license to carry a firearm pursuant to section 6109 (relating to licenses) and that said license expired within six months prior to the date of arrest and that the individual is otherwise eligible for renewal of the license.

So worst case scenario, I am carrying during this interim time period, I have a situation that I have to use the firearm to defend myself that results in the death of my attacker, I will have one more hurdle to jump through in explaining my actions. Since I would rather be alive than dead, this is probably a risk worth taking. I think I am going to printout this section of the code in a small font version and stick it in my wallet.

Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast