Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Trump admin lifts ban on sales of silencers to private foreign buyers

The Trump administration moved Friday to end a long-standing ban on the sale of gun silencers, also known as suppressors, to foreign buyers, handing a victory to firearm manufacturers.

The New York Times reported that the ban's end, which occurred Friday, followed lobbying efforts by Michael Williams, a deputy assistant to President Trump and White House lawyer who formerly ran a trade group representing silencer manufacturers.

"This is another win for the firearm and suppressor manufacturers by the Trump administration," a spokesperson for the National Shooting Sports Foundation told the Times.

Williams's efforts to lobby the State Department to lift the ban began shortly after he followed former acting White House chief of staff Mick Mulvaney to the West Wing following the latter's appointment, according to White House officials who spoke to the Times.

Williams declined to comment to the Times, and the White House did not immediately return a request for comment from The Hill or the Times.

The State Department originally implemented the ban in 2002, with the intention of preventing U.S.-made silencers from falling into the hands of terrorist groups.

A State Department spokeswoman told the Times that the change was made to help U.S. manufacturers and noted that the availability of silencers in other countries had risen since the ban was implemented.

"U.S. companies should have the same opportunity to compete in the international marketplace as other manufacturers around the world," said the spokeswoman.

The Trump administration's decision to expand the sale of firearm suppressors to foreign buyers follows a Democratic push last year to completely ban the sale or manufacture of such devices in the U.S. in response to a shooting in Virginia Beach in which 12 people were killed; the gunman allegedly used a handgun with a suppressor and extended magazines.

https://thehill.com/regulation/inter...rivate-foreign
    The USA is now a banana republic. Only without the bananas....or the Republic.

(Columbia County)

Default Re: Trump admin lifts ban on sales of silencers to private foreign buyers

It will help the manufacturers. For the common US citizen, not so much.

Default Re: Trump admin lifts ban on sales of silencers to private foreign buyers

I cant imagine how many children will die because of this. End gun violence pew pew

Quote Originally Posted by eagleclaw View Post
    Yeah how about lifting the NFA nonsense here.

(Lancaster County)

Do those buyers have to pay the $200 tax?
    Rules are written in the stone,
    Break the rules and you get no bones,
    all you get is ridicule, laughter,
    and a trip to the house of pain.

(York County)

Way to help NON AMERICANS get suppressors. Meanwhile US citizens are still under restrictions from 1934 and at the mercy of the laxidasical stamp admitting (you know who)
    If Trump would end the NFA, he would get alot more votes!

(Bucks County)

Betcha their waiting times will be measured in weeks.
    There are two kinds of guns. Those I have acquired, and those I hope to.

(Berks County)

Quote Originally Posted by eagleclaw View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Hodgie View Post
    Yeah how about lifting the NFA nonsense here.
    Quote Originally Posted by streaker69 View Post
    Do those buyers have to pay the $200 tax?
    Quote Originally Posted by fadetoblack172 View Post
    Way to help NON AMERICANS get suppressors. Meanwhile US citizens are still under restrictions from 1934 and at the mercy of the laxidasical stamp admitting (you know who)
    If Trump would end the NFA, he would get alot more votes!
    Sorry Streaker and Hodgie. Can't give you any rep.

I think we all see the irony here. I see this a sucker punch after the slap in the face of the bump stock fiasco. America first? MAGA? Hooray for our 2A hero POTUS...

(Delaware County)

How does this benefit me ???
    Don’t like me ???? Tough, I don’t give a flying f@@k about ya.

(Montgomery County)

Like everyone always says, our gun laws need to be more like Europe's. We'll start with suppressors and then stop right there.

And I'm all for defunding police. We'll start with the ATF and every other unnecessary federal agency, and then stop right there.

The NFA has to be the biggest set of victimless crimes ever devised.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast