Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Dauphin County)

Default Making a suppressor adapter for a Tantal

You will quickly see I am not a gunsmith nor a machinist, but I have this idea I think will work. I’ve kept it to myself so far, but need a sounding board, others to review this and tell me if I’m being silly. I do not have the tools or skill to realize this idea, but thought I might solicit some input before engaging either my friend (a retired machinist who builds steam engines as a hobby) or my local gunsmith to join me down this rabbit hole.

The Polish AK74 variant known as the Wz.88 “Tantal” is a bit of a strange duck. Like the Czechs, the Poles have their own arms design heritage, so the Tantal is not a true copy of the Soviet AK74 design.

One place it differs is the barrel. The threaded portion of the barrel where the muzzle device attaches is about 25 mm from the muzzle. This makes it a challenge to affix replacement muzzle devices, especially a suppressor.

Dead Air makes the Wolverine PBS-1 suppressor, an homage to the Soviet PBS-1. They make mounting solutions for every AK on the market, and even mounts to accommodate non-AKs, every one except the Tantal. So I decided to try one myself.

The tubular device is a Tantal blank firing adapter. It Threads onto the barrel using internal 14mm LH threads. My idea is to use it to provide an extension from the barrel threads to the end of the muzzle and thread it to accept a standard Wolverine adapter. I’m hoping to use a 5/8”x24 RH adapter. Here’s a rough sketch of the adapter I’m using.

The plan is to cut external threads onto the left end of the tube where it is thickest (ideally I’d like 10mm of threads) stopping before reaching the thin portion. Then drill out the center to allow the 5.45mm projectile to pass, and mill the left edge of the tube flat. The Wolverine adapter would them thread directly onto this newly threaded ‘sleeve’.

Concentricity is of course key to this working, especially since the suppressor is almost 8” long.

Thoughts? Do I have any hope of this working?

Thanks for reading.
    -gonzo, SoCenPA. "Before all else, be armed." --Niccolo Machiavelli
    http://forum.pafoa.org/feedback-109/...nzogeezer.html

(Berks County)

Default Re: Making a suppressor adapter for a Tantal

I would rather just make an adapter from scratch rather than work with questionable foundations of the blank firing adapter.

Threading that adaptor concentric is no problem on a good lathe like my Hardinge Super-Precision toolroom lathe. If the machinist has the suppressor , he could cut/fit the thread nice and close with no slop.

Why not just make the suppressor end cap with M14x1 LH threads?
    Last edited by abner13; July 12th, 2020 at 01:47 PM.
    I don't speak English , I talk American!

(Dauphin County)

Quote Originally Posted by abner13 View Post
    Why not just make the suppressor end cap with M14x1 LH threads?
    While the vendor makes a M14x1 cap, I don*t own one; I was hoping to reutilize one I already own. Of the M24 RH, 1/2x28, and 5/8x24 I have, the 5/8 seemed the best choice.

Could the threading be done with a die, or is cutting with the lathe the way to go?

(Armstrong County)

Personally, press the barrel out and cut 1/2-28 threads on a lathe and then make an adapter for what ever threads your can has, preferably right hand lol
    HGW, llc ~ Title 1 & NFA sales/manufacturing ~ Transfers - Title 1 $20 - NFA $50

(Centre County)

Quote Originally Posted by GonzoGeezer View Post
    While the vendor makes a M14x1 cap, I don*t own one; I was hoping to reutilize one I already own. Of the M24 RH, 1/2x28, and 5/8x24 I have, the 5/8 seemed the best choice.

Could the threading be done with a die, or is cutting with the lathe the way to go?
    For mounting a suppressor I would not thread with a die, you have to make damn sure the threads are concentric and parallel with the bore and it's too easy to cant the die while threading. It really should be done on a lathe. I believe it might be cheaper/easier to just get the needed cap from the vendor.
    Ron USAF Ret E-8 FFL01/SOT3 NRA Benefactor Member

(Dauphin County)

Quote Originally Posted by Xringshooter View Post
    For mounting a suppressor I would not thread with a die, you have to make damn sure the threads are concentric and parallel with the bore and it's too easy to cant the die while threading. It really should be done on a lathe. I believe it might be cheaper/easier to just get the needed cap from the vendor.
    Thanks for the recommendation on not using a die. I can understand where it might be hard to ensure the threads would be concentric.

The reason I’m looking at this is because the vendor does not make a Tantal adapter and I doubt they will because it is not likely to result in many sales. I have asked them several times, they say they’re looking at it. The suppressor has been available for four years but still no Tantal adapter.

Quote Originally Posted by GonzoGeezer View Post

Suppressors need to thread on perfectly concentric and up against a solid , square shoulder.
    All the other 'solutions' would probably either cost more than a new correct part , or run a greater chance of not being correct. I have die holders that go into the tailstock taper of a lathe so it goes reasonably straight , square and true , but dies cut rather sloppy threads unless new and sharp. Solid dies might cut over/under-size and adjustable split dies need careful adjustment.

Could it be that this particular suppressor is not suitable for the short-barreled Tantul?
    Last edited by abner13; July 12th, 2020 at 07:03 PM.
    I don't speak English , I talk American!

(Bucks County)

I think taps and dies generally cut 75% threads when new, less as they wear. The only time they are without shake is if the device has a square shoulder to snug against, effectively "bunching up" the threads on one side of some of the threads. The device has to withstand strong, violent "hammering", calling for a more precise threading...one of the things that makes a suppressor cost what they do.
    There are two kinds of guns. Those I have acquired, and those I hope to.

(Berks County)

Concentricity is important, but I think Dead Air has made an AK market by producing a suppressor with a bigger opening to account for much of that. I'd still be darn sure to check closely with a known straight rod though.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast