Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (York County)

Default School me on the 6.5 Grendel.

I'm new to this caliber as I'm considering getting an AR upper to expand my rifle's versatility, but then discovered a number of very nice bolt guns being made for it as well. So tell me more.

(Carbon County)

Default Re: School me on the 6.5 Grendel.

Maybe later, I almost have one together.

(Beaver County)

I built one in an AR chassis. Good cartridge. 1000yrds is about its limit. Can buy one based off an 7.62x39 or based on the original design. I've gotten 6 and 7 reloads out of the same brass. The Wolf factory ammo is junk.

If I were building new it would be the 6mm ARC. Has a definate speed advantage over the Grendel

What else do you want to know ?
    Last edited by DucatiRon; July 11th, 2020 at 01:50 PM.
    www.Steelvalleycasting.com is your new home for coated bullets and custom ammo.

(Carbon County)

Better take up reloading if you want to hunt deer with it. I was just cruising the net looking for Federal Fusion ammo and everybody is out of stock. Nothing else appeals to me for deer size animals. Plenty of 6.5 Creedmore in stock. That should tell you something.

I have a bolt gun and AR in 6.5 Grendels. It is a great round in the AR platform for varmint hunting and for punching paper. Now is a bad time to be getting into ANYTHING in regard to availability though. That said, if you have an existing AR, get or put together a 6.5 upper. As for a bolt gun, there are many better deer guns out there for hunting if that is what you would want to do. (I carried a bolt gun 6.5G in doe season last year so I'm certainly not afraid to hunt deer with one). All mine are under MOA at 100 and 200 yards and one is a PSA upper. (Lucky?/Probably!)
    Stay far far away from BCA, (Bear Creek), barrels and complete uppers. There are some good ones but it's a house rules bet you'll get a poor shooter. (Or one that won't cycle, or BOTH). I agree to a certain extent with Gunplummer above on bullets for deer. But there are some open-tip match bullets that have great expansion on deer and hogs plus the availability of Hornaday SST's in factory rounds and many others now coming out with new choices. I reload and use Berger OTM Hybrids in both guns if I'm hunting. I watched what they do to hogs at a distance and was impressed with their performance. The Grendel peaked my interest in the AR platform again after years of shooting 5.56/.223 and it's been four years with this round and i still actively load and shoot it. But again............availability now is really bad for just about everything 6.5 in reloading and in AR hardware in general. Good Luck!
    Engineers make things idiot proof! Evolution makes better idiots!

(York County)

Thanks for all the responses.

Not planning on starting my build until my budget recovers from my last project (LOL), but gathering info at this point. I like the idea of a 6.5 particularly since I have thousands of bullets in my inventory (already shoot the 6.5 Swede).

My original intent was an AR build since I can do one AND get a nice scope for the price of a CZ bolt gun, but my I do love the CZ 527 and may end up going that route in the end.

I'm already a reloader so for me it would be as simple as buying ammo and a set of dies.

(Carbon County)

The problem with having thousands of 6.5 bullets is most won't fit an AR magazine when loaded. I re-barreled a .308 model '99 Savage to .260 Rem and can not use 160 grain bullets. I knew this when I started. Just a heads up.

(York County)

Gunplummer: yep, AOL issues are taken into account. If I get a 6.5 Grendel I'll likely mostly be using bullets under 120 grains anyway. Velocity falls off quickly over the 120 gr. mark with the Grendel.

Those 160 gr. round nosed are LONG. Reminds me of a flying no. 2 pencil. They barely fit in the mag well of a standard length Mauser action CZ.

The heaviest bullet I shoot is a 130gr, Otherwise, the little case doesn't give you enough capacity to push heavy bullets to where they need to be. The sweet spot for the Grendel is 120 to 123 gr. Many push 140's but better to do them in a bolt action. If you really want to know all about the Grendel, poke around in the 6.5 Grendel Forum. Anything and everything Grendel is here!
    http://www.65grendel.com/forum/
    Engineers make things idiot proof! Evolution makes better idiots!

(Montgomery County)

I would hold off if you haven't done your build yet. You may want to look at the 6mm ARC.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=os3x5Rg-BJw

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CNbaXLJyRjg

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast