Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    (Montgomery County)

Default Re: School me on the 6.5 Grendel.

(Montgomery County)

Another Interesting video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2RYkwBrmmUw

I'm going to add to this thread a bit. I may go into the 6mm ARC but NOT head first and not for awhile. I own a bolt and gas Grendel and reload for it and I absolutely love this cartridge. The true ballistics of these two rounds is harder to just say "there's your winner". 264 verses 243 cal has been raging for decades. I love both calibers but I'm not sure the 6mm ARC has enough of an advantage to completely reinvest in another upper, (or two), and brass/dies to feed it. For the original poster who doesn't have a Grendel or a 6 ARC, choose wisely.
    6.5 Grendel ammo is being manufactured by Remington, Hornady,(2+), Federal,(4+), Privi Partizan,(2+), Nosler, Wolf,(2+), Alexander Arms/Lapua, Underwood and a few others. There are many brass manufacturers for it. There are three manufacturers of bolt rifles for the Grendel with more than one offering available, (Ruger, Howa and CZ). Many magazine suppliers are out there with Grendel offerings and a host of AR builders for uppers and major barrel manufacturers offering anything from poor quality to match grade precision. The 6.5 Grendel isn't going away anytime soon.
    The 6mm ARC may pickup some traction and may become what the Grendel is today or more. The key word is "may". Look very closely at the caparisons. Read what shooters get and accomplish at 6.5Grendel.com. There is a lot of hype over the 6mm ARC. Some of it is pick and choose statistics from both calibers designed to sway a consumer one way or another. For the consumer, what do you want from the platform? Hunting? Deer? Varmints? Both? Long Range Target Shooting? Plinking? Home Defense? SHTF action? Again, choose wisely before investing.
    Engineers make things idiot proof! Evolution makes better idiots!

(Lancaster County)

Maybe have a Grendel upper and an ARC upper. I'm looking at this route myself as something for my son and another future additional kids (who knows, right?) and the ARC as a PRS upper for me.
    "You can't stop insane people from doing insane things by passing insane laws--that's insane!" -- Penn Jillette

"To my mind it is wholly irresponsible to go into the world incapable of preventing violence, injury, crime, and death. How feeble is the mindset to accept defenselessness. How unnatural. How cheap. How cowardly. How pathetic." -- Ted Nugent

(Montgomery County)

(Montgomery County)

Stop repeating lies about what some say on the grendel forum. I am willing to wager you never shot or owned a BCA 6.5G barrel, but you have no issues repeating what others wrote. I have four 6.5 G and my 16" BCA barrel does MOA at 100 yards. I paid $50 for the BCA barrel and will say it was worth the investment. I also own a Lilja, Bartlein and Satern 6.5G barrels that I paid much more compared to my BCA. I prefer the 123gr bullets.

Quote Originally Posted by Boo Vuccla View Post
    I have a bolt gun and AR in 6.5 Grendels. It is a great round in the AR platform for varmint hunting and for punching paper. Now is a bad time to be getting into ANYTHING in regard to availability though. That said, if you have an existing AR, get or put together a 6.5 upper. As for a bolt gun, there are many better deer guns out there for hunting if that is what you would want to do. (I carried a bolt gun 6.5G in doe season last year so I'm certainly not afraid to hunt deer with one). All mine are under MOA at 100 and 200 yards and one is a PSA upper. (Lucky?/Probably!)
    Stay far far away from BCA, (Bear Creek), barrels and complete uppers. There are some good ones but it's a house rules bet you'll get a poor shooter. (Or one that won't cycle, or BOTH). I agree to a certain extent with Gunplummer above on bullets for deer. But there are some open-tip match bullets that have great expansion on deer and hogs plus the availability of Hornaday SST's in factory rounds and many others now coming out with new choices. I reload and use Berger OTM Hybrids in both guns if I'm hunting. I watched what they do to hogs at a distance and was impressed with their performance. The Grendel peaked my interest in the AR platform again after years of shooting 5.56/.223 and it's been four years with this round and i still actively load and shoot it. But again............availability now is really bad for just about everything 6.5 in reloading and in AR hardware in general. Good Luck!

(York County)

For those looking at the pros and cons of Bear Creek Arsenal (BCA) you can look up the one the company put on Youtube https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FuPEb0jtJPs

I bought a complete upper in .350 Legend. All I'll say is that while in general it is sound, I've already had an issue with the entire gas block sliding out of position. BCA uses a pair of set screws to hold it in place. On mine, there is only one divot to hold the set screw in place. So I started having failures to cycle as the damn thing moved off the gas port. I moved it back into place and tightened down both screws though with only one is really doing anything.

QC combined with the extremes of simplifying production BCA goes to keep costs down seems to be an issue. That said the fit, finish and overall construction of my upper is good enough. Will I buy another BCA upper in the Grendel caliber? Probably not. But its my experience and my money. Of course I may just go for a bolt gun in 6.5G since the CZ is just so nice.
    Last edited by Ecclectic Collector; August 7th, 2020 at 07:07 AM. Reason: added detail

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12