Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    (Lancaster County)

Default Bond Arms barrel length ...

So I picked up a Bond Arms derringer on a whim (decent price, other merits or lack there of aside - it weighs as much as my Glock 26 and is HUGE for a 2 shot pistol...) I want to get a 45LC/410 (currently 2.5" 9mm) barrel for it (they are all interchangeable) and the choices in length are 3", 3.5" and 4.25" any suggestions as to which to get? Why? I am leaning towards the 3.5" but maybe you can persuade me otherwise? Other than kicks and giggles, this may be a kayaking/trail gun or for car-jacking protection (the latter is a very low possibility since I drive a 16 YO Subaru Forrester with a stick and no AC - I would probably give it to them and laugh)... This would mostly be used for 410 - I think?
    Cb Μολὼν λαβέ

Default Re: Bond Arms barrel length ...

What will it chamber? 2.5" or 3" 410? I'd go 3.5" if it let's you chamber both lengths.

(Philadelphia County)

i had one a while... to me its like the fidget spinner for gun ppl - its fun and addictive to flip the barrels up and slam them home, but when i came to my senses, i dumped it. i ran mine with a 3.5" 410/ 45LC barrel set and ran 000buck and pdx 410. within 5-7yds i felt pretty confident with it and the shot spread was mostly all body hits center mass... but notice i said "mostly" and then let that sink in. if you are in a self defense scenario, let loose this dog of war and just (1) 000buck strays and hits someone it shouldnt you will need to deal with that - morally, ethically, and legally. plus the downward trigger press is fuxking stupid - try quick draw/ firing it when your muscle memory is double action revolvers or semis (you wont be fast enough) and so the answer is training - the cost in ammo and unlearning your revolver/ semi pull isnt worth it in the long run...

beautiful guns, built like tanks, fun to play with and look cool as hell but not much more than that for me... i live in the city, the only snakes i come across have 2 legs.

(Lancaster County)

Thanks Bugout.
    I like the fidget spinner analogy. I agree, there are much better defensive firearms out there - Like I said, I bought it on a whim, well made gun and built like a tank (weighs almost as much too) but you are correct in pointing out that "most" of the pellets landing on the target - which means it is NOT acceptable in urban settings.
    Cb Μολὼν λαβέ

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by USMC3531 View Post
    What will it chamber? 2.5" or 3" 410? I'd go 3.5" if it let's you chamber both lengths.
    I would hope it was chambered for 2.5" 410s. A three inch barrel with a 3 inch shell would be something to see. I would research the actual velocity of a 410 when fired from an ultrashort barrel. I have a feeling it will be very low with a shotshell and you should go to a longer barrel to have anything close to effective. Shooting a 45 LC would be a better choice if you needed to stop anyone.

Quote Originally Posted by Delkal View Post
    I would hope it was chambered for 2.5" 410s. A three inch barrel with a 3 inch shell would be something to see. I would research the actual velocity of a 410 when fired from an ultrashort barrel. I have a feeling it will be very low with a shotshell and you should go to a longer barrel to have anything close to effective. Shooting a 45 LC would be a better choice if you needed to stop anyone.
    3.5" barrel with 3" shells isn't out of the norm. I have a leinad single barrel 410 about that length. I keep as my canoe gun, it only cost 50 so who cares if it ends up in the bottom af a lake...

(Susquehanna County)

I carry the 4.25" snake slayer from Bond Arms. My OWB holster also carries 2 extra shells.
    I was loading 000 buck and two extra #6 bird shot for snakes and dogs..
    Now I carry 4 each Hornady Triple Defense * two in the gun and two in the holster

https://www.hornady.com/ammunition/h...fense-2-1-2#!/

several other people have shot my big derringer at my range.. and most are now on the look out for one to buy
    Retired US Army
    NRA Life Member, GOA, USCCA
    "Artificial intelligence is no match for Natural Stupidity"

(Clearfield County)

Go with the longest barrel you can get if you plan to go .410. I have the "Rowdy" with a 3" barrel and the spread on some shells makes it useless even for snakes at 15 feet.

(Lancaster County)

Update ! I ordered a 3.5 inch barrel for it (the biggest they had in stock) in 410/45 long colt I should get it the week and will post reviews and updates as possible. I think this will be my kayaking gun - 2 shots is better than one, and hopfully the SS will hold up with proper cleaning and care.
    Cb Μολὼν λαβέ

(Berks County)

Quote Originally Posted by solrac7 View Post
    Update ! I ordered a 3.5 inch barrel for it (the biggest they had in stock) in 410/45 long colt I should get it the week and will post reviews and updates as possible. I think this will be my kayaking gun - 2 shots is better than one, and hopfully the SS will hold up with proper cleaning and care.
    Do you want to sell the 9mm barrels?
    The Gun is the Badge of a Free Man

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast