Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Philadelphia County)

Default Philly Bar Owner Investigated after Drawing Gun on Man Warning Social Distancing

https://www.inquirer.com/news/infusi...-20200706.html

Liz Krieger, 27, was enjoying a drink with friends outside Nick’s Roast Beef on Sunday afternoon — where the summer crowds were behaving almost as if the coronavirus did not exist.

Then, a Black man on a bike stopped near the restaurant on Second Street in Old City and began shouting, “Social distancing! No one is wearing a mask!” Restaurant goers started shouting back, telling him to go away.

It was a dispute typical of America in the pandemic — until one of the men sitting nearby, local bar owner Jamie Atlig, stood up as if to fight. Krieger and another woman rushed to position themselves in between them.

According to Krieger, the man with the bike shouted something about “MAGA privilege,” while Atlig shouted “Trump 2020!” That’s when Atlig pulled a gun, and Krieger said she saw the Black man freeze at the sight, then pull out his bike lock in self defense.

“People were screaming, ‘He has a gun!‘” she said. “And I was screaming, ‘He has a bike lock!‘”

In seconds, Atlig, owner of Infusion Lounge nearby, had put away his gun. And the other man, whom Krieger didn’t know, picked up his bike and rode off.

When reached for comment, Atlig referred all questions to his lawyer, Robert Gamburg, who confirmed that it was his client who is seen in the video pulling the gun on the passerby. Gamburg said the pedestrian was being “confrontational” with guests at the lounge and “was engaging in threatening behavior, menacing behavior.”

“Mr. Atlig is licensed to carry a firearm. He has extensive firearm training. He’s a business owner and he was being threatened,” Gamburg said. “The individual reached behind his back for an object, Mr. Atlig unholstered his licensed firearm, defused the situation, and sat back down.”

Atlig was questioned by police after the incident on Sunday, Gamburg said, though he didn’t know who called authorities to the scene.

A police spokesperson, Eric McLaurin, said on Monday afternoon that it’s “a very active investigation at this point.”

Krieger said police arrived shortly afterward but did not take a report because the victim had already left. To Krieger, the seeming lack of consequences was what compelled her to share the story with her friend D.J. Torney, an intern for City Councilmember Isaiah Thomas, who posted it to Twitter.

“The Black man doesn’t need to be killed for this to be a story,” she said. “A man had a gun pulled on him for speaking the truth. We weren’t social distancing. He was completely in the right to be yelling at us — and if I hadn’t been there, this is how Black people are shot and it’s claimed later that he had a bike lock on him and people thought it was a gun. But let’s be clear: The bike lock was never pulled out [until after the gun was].”

As Philadelphia is easing back into public life after months of shutdowns and nearly a month of protests, the episode is causing the Old City District to think carefully about its plans to expand outdoor dining into the street, the organization’s executive director Job Itzkovitz said.

“We want to do things cautiously and deliberately and with safety being a top concern,” he said.

Here's the video (which only begins partway through the incident):
    https://philadelphia.cbslocal.com/20...investigation/
    https://twitter.com/_sjpeace_/status...84709968998400

Interesting to see what Krasner does about this one considering his history of (not) prosecuting firearms offenses

Default Re: Philly Bar Owner Investigated after Drawing Gun on Man Warning Social Distancing

Quote Originally Posted by appleorangefish View Post
    He was completely in the right to be yelling at us
    <quote is from article, not the poster>

No, he wasn't. He was completely in the right to just keep on riding his bike and minding his own business.

(Lackawanna County)

Default Re: Philly Bar Owner Investigated after Drawing Gun on Man Warning Social Distancing

Good thing his gun was licensed. Maybe he needs a different lawyer.

I saw a sign out front of a local bar that read: Bar is open social distancing and masks required.
    Who in their right mind would go to a bar and wear a mask, and sit 6ft from someone you
    are there to converse with? I hope the asshole goes bankrupt.

(Lehigh County)

Quote Originally Posted by bogey1 View Post
    I saw a sign out front of a local bar that read: Bar is open social distancing and masks required.
    Who in their right mind would go to a bar and wear a mask, and sit 6ft from someone you
    are there to converse with? I hope the asshole goes bankrupt.
    Is he enforcing the 'rules' inside or is the sign, just to meet requirements of the LCB? You obviously can't drink with a mask on.
    Illegitimus non carborundum est

(Montgomery County)

Will be interesting.

I think they were both wrong, but Atlig appears to have taken the stupid up a notch.

Quote Originally Posted by gghbi View Post
    Is he enforcing the 'rules' inside or is the sign, just to meet requirements of the LCB? You obviously can't drink with a mask on.
    I have no idea, but why not just shut yer trap and just open up? Why all the attention
    towards this insane behavior.

(Philadelphia County)

Quote Originally Posted by littlefitz View Post
    Good thing his gun was licensed. Maybe he needs a different lawyer.
    Gamburg is a very good lawyer. Been against him many times.

He could have said that he pulled his weapon, which has a record of sale attached to it, but only people here would know what that means.

(Lackawanna County)

I’d like to see more video before I pass judgement.

(Chester County)

C'mon guys the dude with the gun was just trying to protect all the 8 year olds on the block.
    Last edited by JenniferG; July 8th, 2020 at 10:58 AM.
    Corruption is the default behavior of government officials. JPC

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast