Default Re: Troopers shoot and kill man in Monroe County

Quote Originally Posted by PickingPA View Post
    Correct
    Quote Originally Posted by Royinmontco View Post
    WWI or Pillsbury?

Tee-heeeeee
    yeah, he is still there. unharmed.
    https://www.google.com/maps/@40.9863...7i16384!8i8192
    my buddy is still charging toward main st. sometimes i hang out with him.
    There is no way to make it out alive...

(Berks County)

Quote Originally Posted by fallenleader View Post
    Aaaaa, those doughboys. My paternal grandfather was one of them and regretfully, I never talked to him about it. Grandpop was an eccentric man.
    Gender confusion is a mental illness

(Juniata County)

Quote Originally Posted by PA86 View Post
    Pretty weird math there.

One would usually weigh the costs (the very few people that die as a result of welfare checks) against the benefit (the thousands upon thousands that are helped). Not sure how you somehow introduced the thousands who were totally unaffected by a welfare check because they never received one into the equation.

I don't know what an ambulance club is. I do know anyone can, and should be able to call 911 and receive appropriate access to emergency services.
    In most of the state, EMS services sell memberships that cover the out of pocket costs for 911 services that insurance companies don’t cover. If if ambulance is non-profit, as most are, it is a tax deductible donation.

Most honor the memberships of neighboring services.
    "Cives Arma Ferant"

"I know I'm not James Bond, that's why I don't keep a loaded gun under the pillow, or bang Russian spies on a regular basis." - GunLawyer001

(Juniata County)

Quote Originally Posted by Carson View Post
    Interestingly, this was on my FB feed today:

It has taken me a little time to write this as it took many of us a few days to fully wrap our heads around, digest, filter, process and learn and I wanted to write more so for the learning process than out of emotion. This excerpt is also not written for pitty or for those of you that know better or would do something different. Save the keyboard warrior battles for something else.

I manage this page for our firehouse and try to include all three shifts but today I am writing strictly through the eyes of one shift. However, as we should be in the world today, we are one at Firehouse 30 and all three shifts were all shaken by this incident....

On 6/25, we nearly lost our engine crew.

Not to a raging three alarm fire or on the highway working an entrapment. It was a typical EMS alarm that we run frequently. Not a fight in progress or a shooting or a violent situation. A simple "well being" check.

Engine 30 was dispatched to check on the caller's mother whom she had not heard from in 4 days. Run of the mill "well being" check. A run that we answer as a department probably once a shift. The Lieutenant is a seasoned member of the department and Firehouse 30 with accolades for service and credit and experience of being in one of the busiest engine companies in the County. The engineer, also seasoned, serving most of her 22 year career at firehouse 30. No doubt one of the best. The left jump, a 4 year firefighter followed by a probationary firefighter with 2 weeks on the job. Enroute to the alarm, protocol was followed. The deputies were notified to respond.

The members found the home and attempted to see anyone inside. Newspaper and mail stacked up. All too quiet. They checked for any unsecured opening. The daughter, who was on scene, reported that "mom" never leaves the house and the members were given full permission to enter the home anyway they could. An unlocked window was found on the backside of the home and the split decision was made to make entry as sometimes it may take a deputy a decent amount of time to respond and arrive on scene. Both firefighters entered the window all the while screaming "Fire department!" as loud as a Probie in fire school. Three steps into the home-they encountered an elderly woman coming at them with a .38 handgun.

The Probie attempted to run to the exterior door but was met with a locked door that would even give a decent truckie a run for his money. He dove into the corner in an attempt to hide as the lady fired off a round. The other firefighter dove back out of the window and into the yard as another round was fired at him. At this time the Lieutenant hailed our radio operator with "shots fired, shots fired-possible firefighter down!" The lieutenant looked back into the window to help the Probie and saw the lady with her gun pointed straight at him as he kneeled in the corner. The lieutenant screamed for the lady to distract her and as she turned she fired another shot at the window. She quickly retreated and the lieutenant realized the distraction and summoned the Probie to the window where he was extricated to safety.

The rest of firehouse 30 and any uniform in the vicinity dumped onto the scene within minutes upon hearing "shots fired" to assist. I'm not sure if there is a description of the emotion I felt when we arrived and all of the members were accounted for without any injuries. Lots of hugs were given. Lots of recollections traded. I always try to count my blessings but that day I counted a lot. Even the way the Probie smiles lol. We were lucky.

The lady was 3/4 deaf and had several break-ins. She was older and only acting in the fear of being alone and self defense. She still used a rotary phone which was unplugged due to extensive solicitation calls. She felt terrible when the story was explained to her. Nothing was done incorrectly as we will always err on the side of the patient and we act under implied consent. Again, we were lucky.

As company officers and firefighters alike, we are trained to make split decisions. Don't let this story change your tactic but instead give you another view. No two calls are alike-including "well being checks". Keep your head on a swivel out there. Love your crew. Train, train, train. Expect the unexpected and have a plan. Be safe out there....

Pics below are window entered and door encountered from the inside....
    Any consideration for charging the daughter with reckless endangerment?
    "Cives Arma Ferant"

"I know I'm not James Bond, that's why I don't keep a loaded gun under the pillow, or bang Russian spies on a regular basis." - GunLawyer001

PickingPA Guest

Quote Originally Posted by PAMedic=F|A= View Post
    In most of the state, EMS services sell memberships that cover the out of pocket costs for 911 services that insurance companies don’t cover. If if ambulance is non-profit, as most are, it is a tax deductible donation.

Most honor the memberships of neighboring services.
    We called it a “subscription” back in the day, not sure what the current verbiage is to be in compliance with non-profit tax laws

PickingPA Guest

Good, he’s almost 100 years old and I hope he’s there for hundreds more

(Berks County)

Are yinz drinking buddies?
    Gender confusion is a mental illness

(Bucks County)

why werent they in a nursing home? when you get to a certain point, its time. sounds like the relatives didnt wanna be "the bad guy"
    bailout the working class not the freeloading class

(York County)

Quote Originally Posted by PAMedic=F|A= View Post
    Any consideration for charging the daughter with reckless endangerment?
    There seems to be a number of other ways this situation could have been handled. Certainly, after such an incident, all parties should be re-evaluating what happened and why - so they can all make better choices in the future...

The Mother (or daughter) could have paid for Caller-ID. She would have been able to turn off the ringer, look at the numbers and ignore what was irrelevant. She wouldn't have needed to unplug the phone and become 'a concern'.

Creative thinking is sometimes needed within the family to help the aging parents keep their freedom but still be safe. She seems to have been comfortable with the idea of 2A 'self-protection', even though her aim might be in need of some attention (that's fortunate for the 1st responders).

BTW, does the national 'DO NOT CALL' elective work? Or just another failed 'feel good' government program?

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by pacomdiver View Post
    why werent they in a nursing home? when you get to a certain point, its time. sounds like the relatives didnt wanna be "the bad guy"
    Why would she have been in a nursing home? She was just deaf.

Page 11 of 13 FirstFirst ... 78910111213 LastLast