Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast
    (Bucks County)

Default Re: Troopers shoot and kill man in Monroe County

Advice from the 60s is still valid: Don't like cops? Call a hippie.
    There are two kinds of guns. Those I have acquired, and those I hope to.

(Juniata County)

Quote Originally Posted by GOYABEAN View Post
    Officials say they went to a home to perform a welfare check.

https://www.wnep.com/mobile/article/...9-64a1b30128b5

State Police shot and killed a man Monday morning at a home in Monroe County.
    Troopers went to the home on Mosier's Knob Road near Marshalls Creek around 10 a.m. for a welfare check.
    According to state police, when they arrived, the man at the home began to yell at troopers.
    When they tried to detain him, he ran to a garage, where he refused to come out, and pointed a gun at police.
    The man refused to drop his weapon and was shot and killed by troopers.
    The Monroe County District Attorney and State police are investigating the shooting in Monroe County.
    "Cives Arma Ferant"

"I know I'm not James Bond, that's why I don't keep a loaded gun under the pillow, or bang Russian spies on a regular basis." - GunLawyer001

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by PAMedic=F|A= View Post
    State Police shot and killed a man Monday morning at a home in Monroe County.
    Troopers went to the home on Mosier's Knob Road near Marshalls Creek around 10 a.m. for a welfare check.
    According to state police, when they arrived, the man at the home began to yell at troopers.
    When they tried to detain him, he ran to a garage, where he refused to come out, and pointed a gun at police.
    The man refused to drop his weapon and was shot and killed by troopers.
    The Monroe County District Attorney and State police are investigating the shooting in Monroe County.
    Wonder if this was a welfare check on a boogatarian.

Being picked off one by one.

(Juniata County)

Quote Originally Posted by icp4life162005 View Post
    Wonder if this was a welfare check on a boogatarian.

Being picked off one by one.
    I*d say unlikely. Depending on how the call gets routed, Fire, ems, or police end up on welfare or medical alarm checks.

Usually they are nonsense, person isn*t home or didn*t know some asshole family member that couldn*t be bothered to stop it called, or that the medical alarm company called.

Prior to breaking into a locked residence I always call police so there is an outside agency Incase there are any accusations. Likewise, unless there is clearly nothing wrong with the Person, cops call ems to give them a once over, even if it isn*t needed.
    "Cives Arma Ferant"

"I know I'm not James Bond, that's why I don't keep a loaded gun under the pillow, or bang Russian spies on a regular basis." - GunLawyer001

(Berks County)

Quote Originally Posted by Carson View Post
    I would agree as long as he isn*t doing anything that would harm his neighbors.

Problem is, when he is found two weeks from now, seeping into the floorboards, down with a broken hip, many are going to be yelling why someone didn*t do something.
    So, once the police saw he was not "down with a broken hip" why did they try to detain him on his own property for "yelling"? They should have backed-off to de-escalate the situation. Just shows that everybody needs a dog. A distraction, when the cops are busy shooting the dog, get to solid cover. I am all for "Blue Lives Matter", but this seems a little too much. He did not walk down the street pointing a gun at people or walk into the police station. Is it okay to go onto private property and shoot someone whose behavior to your trespassing does not meet your expectations?

(Perry County)

Having been to many of these, I'll offer some insight.

Some welfare checks are due to a lack of communication with anyone recently and friends/family aren't in the area.

Others are people concerned over the mindset and or statement the person has made.

In the first one, you locate the person and everything appears fine, that's the end.

In the second one, talking to the person to determine if the concerns of the complainant are valid is imperative. I had many where the person I contacted related that they had been a drinking some and they were just lamenting the shitty turns their life had taken. If they indicate they have no desire to hurt themselves, that's the end of it.

On the other hand, if in talking to the person, they indicate a desire to do self harm (had some of those as well) they are taken into custody for a psyche evaluation. Often, they will sign themselves in, if not, the 302 petition is completed. Even then, they won't evaluate the person until they're sober given that alcohol is a depressant.

Bottom line, don't tell the cops--or anyone else that can have you involuntarily committed--that you intend to harm yourself. Also, don't point a gun at the cops unless you're very serious about suicide but lack the stones to do it yourself.
    "A man who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing which is more important than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature and has no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself"

"He created the game, played the game, and lost the game.... All under his own terms, by his own doing." JW34

"Tolerance is the lube that helps slip the dildo of dysfunction into the ass of a civilized society." Plato

(Juniata County)

Quote Originally Posted by mrat View Post
    So, once the police saw he was not "down with a broken hip" why did they try to detain him on his own property for "yelling"? They should have backed-off to de-escalate the situation. Just shows that everybody needs a dog. A distraction, when the cops are busy shooting the dog, get to solid cover. I am all for "Blue Lives Matter", but this seems a little too much. He did not walk down the street pointing a gun at people or walk into the police station. Is it okay to go onto private property and shoot someone whose behavior to your trespassing does not meet your expectations?
    Look, I'm all about piling on the bad cop bandwagon, and I'll even go so far that they should hang out in their stations like fire and EMS until there is a call, because cops randomly driving around and forcing the public us a stack of civil rights violations.

But this report doesn't say anything other then they got called for a welfare check (common), and that he pulled a gun on them and got shot.

Everything else is total speculation.
    "Cives Arma Ferant"

Not being racial, but this is how you can tell it was just another white guy getting shot: "State Police shot and killed a man Monday morning at a home in Monroe County."

WFMZ said tonight he had a handgun with a red laser pointer. Sounds like a good shoot to me.
    Aggies Coach Really ??? Take off the tin foil bro.

all i want to know is what he said to them and who called.
    what i know of N-troop is they are stretched thin enough not to bother with frivolous calls because all the fresh urbanites would have them chasing every loose dog and pulling every cat out of a tree. hell they'd need a whole department just to answer the "someone knocked on my door and i'm afraid to answer" or "i heard a gunshot in the woods" calls.

https://www.pahomepage.com/news/inve...-monroe-county
    SMITHFIELD TOWNSHIP, MONROE COUNTY (WBRE/WYOU-TV) * An officer-involved shooting leaves one man dead. A welfare check went wrong in the Poconos when a man pulled a gun on Pennsylvania State Police.

Just before 10 Monday morning, Pennsylvania State Troopers responded to a home along Mosiers Knob Road to conduct a welfare check on a man acting erratically. When they got there, troopers say a man in a blue Ford pick up truck pulled into the driveway.

Troopers say when they spoke with the man, he began acting erratically and saying the property was booby-trapped. Troopers say when they tried to detain him, he fled to a garage and refused to come out.

When troopers approached the garage, the man appeared in the doorway and pointed a laser sighted handgun at them. They say the man did not listen to commands to drop his weapon. Troopers fired, striking him in the chest. He was located in the garage deceased

The man*s identity has not been released at this time. The Monroe County District Attorney*s Office and the Pennsylvania State Police will continue to investigate.
    haven't found a press release yet.

https://www.mcall.com/news/police/mc...uaq-story.html

State police say they had to shoot a man dead when he pointed a gun at troopers Monday morning in Monroe County.

Troopers at 9:57 a.m. were called to a Mosier*s Knob Road residence in Smithfield Township for a man reportedly behaving in an erratic manner.

Troopers arrived to find a man in a pickup truck pulling into the driveway. The man called troopers names and said the property was booby-trapped, according to police.

When troopers tried detaining him, the man fled into a garage and refused to come out. He then reappeared in the garage doorway, pointing a laser-sighted handgun at troopers, police said.

He refused to drop the gun, police said, and was shot in the chest. He was pronounced dead by the Monroe County coroner*s office.

The man*s identity is being withheld until his next of kin have been notified.
    https://www.poconorecord.com/news/20...ues-in-poconos
    The Monroe County District Attorney*s Office and Pennsylvania State Police*s Troop N Major Case Team are investigating the incident.

Being that police issued a narrative release on the shooting instead of a police report, details about the deceased individual, including whether he was the owner or resident of the Mosier*s Knob Road home and what behavior instigated the call to police, have yet to be addressed.

Monroe County District Attorney*s Office Detective Sergeant Wendy Serfass and Pennsylvania State Police public information officer David Peters have stated that new information will be released upon the conclusion of the district attorney*s investigation into the incident.

*Details won*t really come out until the district attorney reaches their determination,* Peters said on Tuesday.

Serfass said that a thorough police report will take at least several days, and will likely be released by the end of the week or early next week.
    Last edited by fallenleader; July 7th, 2020 at 07:56 PM.
    There is no way to make it out alive...

Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast