Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    (Beaver County)

Default Re: Semi-Auto for Sporting Clays

I’ve shot sporting clays with O/Us and Semi Autos, I prefer the O/U for the simple fact that I can have ‘short’ and ‘long’ range choke. My primary shotgun is a Browning CXS for all clay shooting.

That being said, I have shot sporting clays with a variety of semi autos. I’ll start with the Remington 1187 and Weatherby SA-08, I’m not a fan. The Remingtons operating system is odd. And the Weatherby felt cheap. Both seemed to have marginally more recoil than the next options.

For Benelli, I’ve used a M2, SBE, and a Super Sport Performance Shop. The SS performance shop is really nice and stays on target pretty well due to the porting and front weight. However, my scores are consistently higher with a 26” barrel M2. I’m not sure what it is about that gun but everything just feels right.

I haven’t shot sporting clays with a Beretta but I have shot trap with an A400 Xcell Multitarget, I could get used to it. Recoil wise it didn’t seem much that different than the Super Sport.

In summary, you can’t go wrong with Beretta or Benelli. For me personally the Benelli M2 does everything I want a semi auto to do and it’s fairly affordable compared to the Super Sport or A400 Multitarget.

Also as a side note endorsement, my wife has a M2 compact. It’s the only gun she can shoot 100+ 12 gauge loads through and not feel major fatigue.

(Delaware County)

Quote Originally Posted by Gunsnwater View Post
    A5 for me all day long.
    I have, and use, an old A5 "humpback", 12 gauge. Built in Belgium in the 1950's. No gas, no chokes and will beat the crap out of you if you don't mount it right, but I do pretty good with it. My wife has a 12 gauge Benelli or Beretta semi-auto, not sure which or which model, but it's designed to take the recoil out, and it really does, shoots like a cap gun. I still rather shoot with my old A5 though.

Southern South Western South Eastern York county, Pennsylvania

My vote would be for a gas operated gun for clays. The recoil is softer an the Beretta gas system is mostly self cleaning. If you are going to South America and shoot tens of thousands of rounds bird hunting and you are too lazy to pack a cleaning kit, the inertia systems makes sense. If you are OK cleaning the gas system every couple thousand rounds, get the Beretta. Oh, and I like my Weatherby SA-08 just fine.

Personally, If I had that $ to spend, I would get the A400 Xcel, a full set of premium choke tubes, a nice case, and a couple cases of shells...but I like blue...and $

(Wayne County)

I*ve used a beretta 390 semi and a browning Special Sporting o/u, both are fun to shoot. The 390 recoils a little less due to the gas system.

(Berks County)

I do a lot of trap and sporting clays. My semiauto is a Remington 1100 Competition model, and my O/U is a Weatherby Orion. Love both of them.

>>I used to shoot my Benelli Sport II all the time and it has been amazing.<<

I still do, and it's been my primary clays gun for 14 years now.

(Chester County)

With shotguns it's all about the right fit. Make sure you at least try each one of those shotguns for fit before plunking down all that money.
    Corruption is the default behavior of government officials. JPC

Quote Originally Posted by djeuch View Post
    Been having some fun lately at Lehigh Valley Sporting Clays and it's time to "upgrade"... I know I want 12 gauge and semi-auto even with some of the benefits of a good O/U.

Looking at the 3 B's.. Beretta, Benelli and Browning. I was originally leaning towards the Benelli's but find myself more interested in the Beretta (specifically the Beretta A400 Xcel Multitarget 30" KO) due to the gas system and lower recoil. Price-wise I'm okay with spending a little extra to get the right thing the first time out.

ANYWAY, that's my research so far. Any other shorting clay shooters out there want to throw in their opinion?
    I shoot at LVSC a lot. I use a Beretta 690 O/U and a Beretta A400 Xcel 30* (smurf Gun). The single choke puts you at a disadvantage on a SC course so I got rid of it. O/U with varying chokes the the bbl is the way to go
    Last edited by Seabee CO; September 27th, 2020 at 04:19 PM.

(Butler County)

I am as far from an expert as you can get on this, but have had a blast busting clays with my Belgian A5

(Delaware County)

Quote Originally Posted by daddy View Post
    I am as far from an expert as you can get on this, but have had a blast busting clays with my Belgian A5
    I love my A5. Here's an interesting video on the A5, enjoy.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12