Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Monroe County)

Default Wilson Drop in Grip Safety

I have an XSE Commander with the ugly duckbill grip safety. I am trying to fit a Wilson Drop in Grip Safety in its place. I have gotten it fit to where it functions properly using the axle of the thumb safety to hold it in place. I have also tried using the MSH pin to hold the grip safety in place, again no binding. I am retaining the factory Colt Ambi safety. Once I put the thumb safety in place properly in the frame though, it is causing the grip safety to bind. It binds worse when the thumb safety is disengaged. With the thumb safety disengaged, you can hardly move the grip safety at all. In fact, if you grip the gun with the thumb safety on and put it off, then let go of the grip safety, most of the time, the grip safety remains completely engaged and the gun will fire. You can barely move the grip safety enough to cause it to disengage if you try.

I have already gotten suggestions about the axle of the thumb safety causing the bind, and suggestions to clean up the hole in the grip safety and have taken some emory cloth to the hole with no improvement. Does anyone have any idea how the thumb safety could be causing the grip safety to bind? I'm really stumped.

AJ

(Berks County)

Default Re: Wilson Drop in Grip Safety

The arm on the grip safety has to be fit. It should only touch the trigger bow and not rub the nub on the thumb safety. They all should need fitting and drop in is like hitting the lottery.
    The Gun is the Badge of a Free Man

The way the shaft goes together with the slot/tab often spreads and binds.

1911ambi.jpg
    I don't speak English , I talk American!

(Bucks County)

Over on the 1911 forum, they speak of drop in on XSE Commanders as an easy, no fitting install...with the warning that you have to order the correct one. Kinda sounds like you maybe didn't.
    There are two kinds of guns. Those I have acquired, and those I hope to.

(Monroe County)

Quote Originally Posted by Gunsnwater View Post
    The arm on the grip safety has to be fit. It should only touch the trigger bow and not rub the nub on the thumb safety. They all should need fitting and drop in is like hitting the lottery.

We definitely have the arm fit to the trigger bow where it is not rubbing the bow or the frame. I think we have the grip safety fit that way no problem. I have never seen any mention before of fitting the arm to not rub the thumb safety. Where would like likely interfere? Do you have any pictures or idea where I would look for interference? I knew it wasn't going to drop in and would need fitting. I've just never seen anything about it causing binding with the thumb safety like i'm seeing here. Its almost to the point that i'm just going to give in and try fitting a new Wilson ambi safety as well, but I don't feel like that should be necessary for what should be working as is.

AJ

(Monroe County)

Quote Originally Posted by abner13 View Post
    The way the shaft goes together with the slot/tab often spreads and binds.
    Wouldn't I feel binding in the thumb safety as well and/or have difficulty installing the halves of the safety if that were the cause?

AJ

(Berks County)

Quote Originally Posted by hipowr View Post
    We definitely have the arm fit to the trigger bow where it is not rubbing the bow or the frame. I think we have the grip safety fit that way no problem. I have never seen any mention before of fitting the arm to not rub the thumb safety. Where would like likely interfere? Do you have any pictures or idea where I would look for interference? I knew it wasn't going to drop in and would need fitting. I've just never seen anything about it causing binding with the thumb safety like i'm seeing here. Its almost to the point that i'm just going to give in and try fitting a new Wilson ambi safety as well, but I don't feel like that should be necessary for what should be working as is.

AJ
    I would guess the bottom edge of the grip safety arm. Look in the hole when you have it pinned with another pin.
    The Gun is the Badge of a Free Man

(Monroe County)

Quote Originally Posted by Gunsnwater View Post
    I would guess the bottom edge of the grip safety arm. Look in the hole when you have it pinned with another pin.

I've spent a lot of time staring in there without the safety in place. I just can't see anywhere the grip safety could touch the thumb safety. Its a puzzle to me, that's for sure.

AJ