Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    (Berks County)

Default Re: Unloaded shotgun is ok in trunk right?

I believe that having a LTCF has no bearing whatsoever on how one has to handle a long gun and I also believe that any ammo for it has to be in a separate container and that a mag pouch on the outside of a gun case qualifies as a separate container.
    Gender confusion is a mental illness

(Berks County)

Quote Originally Posted by esh21167 View Post
    Piggyback question: Does an unloaded long gun even need to be cased in a vehicle if no ammo for it is in the vehicle?
    In the storage for transportation requirements they don't make exceptions for no ammo. You really need to ask a gun lawyer instead of billy joe bob.
    The Gun is the Badge of a Free Man

(Berks County)

Piggyback question: Does an unloaded long gun even need to be cased in a vehicle if no ammo for it is in the vehicle?
    In the storage for transportation requirements they don't make exceptions for no ammo. You really need to ask a gun lawyer instead of billy joe bob.
    The Gun is the Badge of a Free Man

(Franklin County)

Quote Originally Posted by God's Country View Post
    Not certain about loaded mags, such as AR or AK. How they are to be stored. I presume similar to a handgun with out LTCF, but not certain.
    Statutory language is "separate container". An outside pouch on a zippered case is good to go. Removed from the gun, but still within the the same case (plastic case with no outside pouches, for example) is still legally "loaded".
    Get your "Guns Save Lives" stickers today! PM for more info.

(Westmoreland County)

Just some food for thought.......but assuming you have a cased shotgun in your trunk, and the ammo is inside the exterior case's pocket, the assumption here (and I think pretty much spot on) is that your legal.

So, some altercation occur's where you may think it's a viable idea to open your trunk, uncase the shotgun, pull the ammo out of the case pocket, load the shotgun, and perhaps threaten to shoot or actually shoot an alleged high-jacker\thief\mugger, etc.....the prosecuting attorney will ask something of the sort like "You took the time to unlock your trunk, uncase the shotgun, find the ammo, load the shotgun, and then shoot the other individual? Why didn't you just drive away?

Devils advocate......

(Berks County)

Quote Originally Posted by Gunsnwater View Post
    We'll wait for him to come along. I only ask because if someone bought a long gun privately and forgot a case to transport it home.

Quote Originally Posted by gnbrotz View Post
    Statutory language is "separate container". An outside pouch on a zippered case is good to go. Removed from the gun, but still within the the same case (plastic case with no outside pouches, for example) is still legally "loaded".
    Yes that's what I thought, thanks Greg.

(Delaware County)

Quote Originally Posted by Steeltrap View Post
    Just some food for thought.......but assuming you have a cased shotgun in your trunk, and the ammo is inside the exterior case's pocket, the assumption here (and I think pretty much spot on) is that your legal.

So, some altercation occur's where you may think it's a viable idea to open your trunk, uncase the shotgun, pull the ammo out of the case pocket, load the shotgun, and perhaps threaten to shoot or actually shoot an alleged high-jacker\thief\mugger, etc.....the prosecuting attorney will ask something of the sort like "You took the time to unlock your trunk, uncase the shotgun, find the ammo, load the shotgun, and then shoot the other individual? Why didn't you just drive away?

Devils advocate......
    I think your reply might be beyond the scope of the OP's question. But of course if you must use a gun in the situation you describe, expect your life to change dramatically. So, drive away is ALWAYS the preferred choice.

Bob D

(Allegheny County)

It's sickening that " We the People" have to consult a lawyer to understand what the F the law is. Never understood why they cant make it plain. I guess they like setting traps.
    http://forum.pafoa.org/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=22341&dateline=139092  6582

(Wayne County)

Quote Originally Posted by Gunsnwater View Post
    We'll wait for him to come along. I only ask because if someone bought a long gun privately and forgot a case to transport it home.
    How many fudds ride around during hunting season with uncased rifles, all of them.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast