Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    (Bucks County)

Default Re: The Ruger 22 caliber handguns

Quote Originally Posted by SgtRecon View Post
    Unlike the Ruger, there is no need to field strip it to adequately clean it, no tubular receiver to trap all the grit from 22's. lock bolt back spray with gun scrubber or similar, punch bore a few times, blow out with compressed air, lube shoot like hell,Lather,rinse,repeat Ive had mine going on 30 years and probally only detailed stripped it two or three times and it gets shot alot and has never hiccuped no matter what I feed it, my daughters may wear the thing out !

I only wish the aftermarket would offer more for it, but out of the box it really needs nothing, and did I mention has a better trigger and more accurate than any of my friends and familys Ruger Mk's I've shot
    For as much as i love my Rugers, i must concede that the receiver is a complete pain to clean thoroughly (which i do regularly).

The out of the box trigger isn't bad. The upgraded volquartsen trigger is pretty nice.

Both of mine will eat any ammo given.

I don't think anybody would argue both are fine guns.

-Zach

Stone's throw from Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
    (Butler County)

I'm happy with my Mark II Target, and my 22/45 Lite shot just fine, although I sold it because I wasn't using it much. For a semi-auto, though, I settled on the Walther PPQ, and I couldn't be happier. I think it's closer in build quality and function to its larger-caliber siblings than the M&P, Ruger or Sig .22's. Nice trigger, good ergonometrics, and 12-round mags.

(Washington County)

I will say again, I hadn’t cleaned my Ruger mark series pistols in 10-15 years, one being heavily used with a suppressor (which gets cleaned every other year and is a major pain to do). I never even lubed the rugers. I just shot them. That’s awesome. I had to chisel carbon/lead stalagmites out of them. They show little wear after the clean up. Good for another decade or two.

(Westmoreland County)

I've been using Ruger .22s since I was a kid. First an older flat-latch Single-Six then a couple of Mk I's. I still have a Mk I, US Army and a Mk II Target; Mrs. SG has a Mk II Target Stainless. Oddly enough, as nice as the Rugers are, I still shoot better with my 4 inch S&W Model 18.

(Franklin County)

In contrast, I would take a S&W Victory over a Ruger Mk whatever any day of the week and twice on Sunday.
    The Hostler

(Franklin County)

I have a older MkII target and a current manufacture MkIII Tactical. I love both. Like all .22's they are not perfect. They need to be cleaned well, and for the MkII that's a real chose I dread. They can be ammo sensitive, especially when running subsonic. Paired with a Dead Air .22 can, my MkIII is one of my favorite plinking guns. Just plain fun to shoot.

And to your point, yes, I personally think they are the best common production .22 handguns out there. I have several other .22's, and none of them come close the the quality of build. Aside from maybe replacing a spring or two, the Mk series will outlive your grandchildren.

(Franklin County)

Quote Originally Posted by ray h View Post
    In contrast, I would take a S&W Victory over a Ruger Mk whatever any day of the week and twice on Sunday.
    Don't forget they're butt ass ugly. They are simply not on par with the Rugers accuracy either. Go to a local rimfire shoot and observe what people who really know .22's are shooting. Not many Victorys on the bench.

Stone's throw from Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
    (Butler County)

It's really nice having different flavors of .22's. This was a recent trip to PMSC's .22 rimfire range. Slab-sided Mark II target, Ruger Single Six revolver, Walther PPQ, Savage 29B pump-action, and Browning BL-22 lever-action. I also have a S&W M&P 15-22, the scoped Glenfield Model 25 bolt-action I got when I was a kid, and my dad's old single-shot Remington Targetmaster rifle.

So what else do I need?

(Chester County)

To me the MKII was the height of the model of Ruger .22's. Why they don't still produce it is beyond my understanding.

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by Pilot321 View Post
    To me the MKII was the height of the model of Ruger .22's. Why they don't still produce it is beyond my understanding.
    Have you handled a mark iv? The takedown process for cleaning is pretty great. Since getting one, i haven't taken my mark iii out once.

-Zach

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast