Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    (Bucks County)

Default The Ruger 22 caliber handguns

As far as I'm concerned there isn't a better designed 22 handgun made. Yes there are more expensive 22's, but I don't think there is a better overall design that is superior to the Ruger. I have 3, SR22, 22/45 LITE MKIV & a 22/45 5.5 standard MKIV. All three load, fire and eject ANY ammo I feed it regardless of brand, price , weight, HP or RN. All with excellent accuracies. They are all extremely easy to maintain & clean. The mags for all 3 have 1000's of rds through them without a single issue. And with Rugers stellar customer service you don't have to worry if there is a issue. Out of the box they are a joy to shoot & with a few very simple trigger mods they become a world class 22. Ive heard that some think that the SR22 is overpriced, I have to strongly disagree. My SR22 is an absolute joy to shoot, incredibly accurate, eats all ammo I feed it and is super easy to clean and maintain. I also doubt I'll ever wear any of my Rugers out. For a selling price of 4-5 hundred dollars for any of the 3 mentioned, I really don't think you can buy a better overall 22.

Default Re: The Ruger 22 caliber handguns

I have several too. Several different purposes from NRA Bullseye to small game hunting. They have served me very well. I have to disagree though that there isn't a better designed .22 handgun. The Smith and Wesson Model 41, Hammerli, Walther (the real Walther) and High Standard are all very fine .22 caliber pistols and an absolute joy to shoot. I have no doubt though that when I pass on, my kids and grandkids will enjoy my Rugers for years.

(Bucks County)

The sr22 may seem overpriced not unlike that 22lr Glock (don't know the number) until you realize it is a good companion/training gun for the larger sr series guns.

I will mostly agree with what you said. I have a mark iii and i have a few issues with it.

Firstly, it is great to shoot, but the grip angle definitely leaves something to be desired. I see you have the 45 grip models. That solves that problem. But i wish they used a metal grip frame. I know Volquartsen makes one, but it is very expensive.

Secondly, the loaded chamber indicator is garbage. It is a useful feature only if it works. I had to remove mine because it was causing all kinds of malfunctions in the gun. Failure to feed, failure to eject, etc. It gets clogged up with the least amount of dirt and 22 is pretty dirty. Even Ruger realized this mistake. The mark 2 didn't have the LCI nor does the mark iv.

The magazine disconnect is another issue. Maybe not as much for a mark iv since you don't need to pull the trigger to disassemble. But the disassembly has you pulling the trigger and inserting and removing magazines. This is an easy fix by removing the offending parts and putting in mark ii bushings.

That said, my mark iii hunter is my favorite gun to shoot. It doesn't get more accurate (well for me anyway).

-Zach

(Montgomery County)

My SR22 was pretty reliable with most ammo, but it really shined once a Galloway precision guide rod was installed.

I have two Mk III 22/45. Both have given me problems because of the LCI and mag disconnect. I removed them from both and did some additional tweaks and the guns run fine now. However, I find my self shooting my TX22, CP33 and P17 more than the Rugers these days. They're lighter guns that hold more rounds. All of that equals more fun.

In the world of .22lf and handguns, IMHO the round belongs in a wheel gun YMMV

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by God's Country View Post
    In the world of .22lf and handguns, IMHO the round belongs in a wheel gun YMMV
    I had a new (at the time anyway) s&w 617 and it was a piece of junk. The forcing cone would build up crud quickly and lock the gun up. From what i could tell, the forcing cone face wasn't true. Sold it with zero regrets.

-Zach

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by Ronin View Post
    I have two Mk III 22/45. Both have given me problems because of the LCI and mag disconnect. I removed them from both and did some additional tweaks and the guns run fine now. However, I find my self shooting my TX22, CP33 and P17 more than the Rugers these days. They're lighter guns that hold more rounds. All of that equals more fun.
    I had a Taurus TX22, was fun to shoot, but only lasted 5000 rds that's when the slide cracked. Was at Taurus for 11 weeks came back with a new slide but the poorly designed recoil spring assembly that caused the cracked slide was not replaced. The barrel looked like Micky Mouse make it from day one. Traded it the day it came back. Replaced it with the SR22 and never looked back. The Ruger is far , far superior in every way. I shoot with a buddy who has the CP33. It has been back to Keltec 3 times for 3 separate problems. The higher rd mag count wears off really quickly when your gun spends more time being repaired than shot.

Quote Originally Posted by triplebike View Post
    I had a Taurus TX22, was fun to shoot, but only lasted 5000 rds that's when the slide cracked. Was at Taurus for 11 weeks came back with a new slide but the poorly designed recoil spring assembly that caused the cracked slide was not replaced. The barrel looked like Micky Mouse make it from day one. Traded it the day it came back. Replaced it with the SR22 and never looked back. The Ruger is far , far superior in every way. I shoot with a buddy who has the CP33. It has been back to Keltec 3 times for 3 separate problems. The higher rd mag count wears off really quickly when your gun spends more time being repaired than shot.
    Zero problems with my CP33 using 40 gr ammo. It really likes crappy Remington Thunderbolts. Only downside is Thunderbolts are dirty. Curious to know what problems your buddy had with his.

Also zero problems with my TX22. I don't have 5k rounds through it, but I read all the complaints about the recoil assembly. I replaced it with a Lakeline recoil assembly. Easy fix.

(Bucks County)

My lite 22/45 doesn't like the lead HP rounds, it tends to jam and bend the first round. I might have to polish the feed ramp a bit.

Really no issues with regular brass 22 rounds

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast