Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    (Delaware County)

Default Re: Colt back to selling AR 15s to the Public

Quote Originally Posted by AHelm3 View Post
    Meh. Colt can suck a butt. Anything of theirs that interests me, is at least a decade older than I am.
    Those are the items I am buying...the ones not in production any more...or for that matter haven't been for over 30 years. Lots of value was to be had over the last three years, until the BS virus hit.

Colts have been a good investment so far.

I don't concern myself with all the noise surrounding them...if I did, I wouldn't be buying anything, from anyone, for some stupid reason or another.

(Bucks County)

Fuck them.

Eta... Irrelevant, overpriced, and underperforming.

Enjoy bankruptcy, fuckers.
    There is no greater sorrow than to recall in misery the time when we were happy - Dante.

(Bucks County)

It is just convenient that with calls to defund police departments that they decide to get back into the civilian game.

I'll stick to s&w (not that those internal locks aren't a tragedy) for revolvers, 1911s, and ar15s.

-Zach

Stone's throw from Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
    (Butler County)

Colt Derangement Syndrome.

My newest Colt is 40yrs old!
    I don't speak English , I talk American!

(Perry County)

I'm OK with Colts because they hold their value well--a lot of pony people out there. As for quality, I've handled enough ARs to know that their finishing is well below other manufacturers. But I also understand that .gov doesn't care about such things so Colt didn't either. As to functionality, Colt ARs have never let me down. I'm hoping to see the used market take a downturn as new buyers go for new Colts. There are a few I'd like to buy, or buy again just to toss in the safe.
    "A man who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing which is more important than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature and has no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself"

"He created the game, played the game, and lost the game.... All under his own terms, by his own doing." JW34

"Tolerance is the lube that helps slip the dildo of dysfunction into the ass of a civilized society." Plato

Listen....your 400 dollar range fun gun full of MIM parts is NOT the same as a factory Colt. Never was, never will be. Sorry, but you get what you pay for. Having said that, using your rifle at a group shoot twice a year isn't the same as running it in the desert to actually protect your life. Each gun we buy serves a purpose. Just make sure yours will properly serve the purpose for which you intend it to.

Quote Originally Posted by ar15jules View Post
    Listen....your 400 dollar range fun gun full of MIM parts is NOT the same as a factory Colt. Never was, never will be. Sorry, but you get what you pay for. Having said that, using your rifle at a group shoot twice a year isn't the same as running it in the desert to actually protect your life. Each gun we buy serves a purpose. Just make sure yours will properly serve the purpose for which you intend it to.
    What on an cheap ar is MIM? From what I can tell most are are at a minimum built with forged and machined components. Does that make them equal to colt or other high end brands, well I'm sure the tolerances and everything are superior on the high end brands.

I've just always heard how anything less than a colt is a poor quality rifle but ive never seen true empirical evidence to support that. I have a psa premium ive ran a class with and lots of rounds at the range without any malfunction.

Anecdotal yes but I only have so many personal data points.

Not trying to start anything, just trying to maybe learn something.

One last thought in regards to the colt quality.

Is it possible that 15 years ago, before the huge AR explosion. That there really was a quality gap between the cheap rifles and the colts, that has since diminished with so much demand for high quality to cost ratio.

I'm sure a 300 dollar psa freedom rifle with cheap accessories is still inferior to a colt, but is it significantly less reliable?

(Perry County)

Quote Originally Posted by The Hobbit View Post
    What on an cheap ar is MIM? From what I can tell most are are at a minimum built with forged and machined components. Does that make them equal to colt or other high end brands, well I'm sure the tolerances and everything are superior on the high end brands.

I've just always heard how anything less than a colt is a poor quality rifle but ive never seen true empirical evidence to support that. I have a psa premium ive ran a class with and lots of rounds at the range without any malfunction.

Anecdotal yes but I only have so many personal data points.

Not trying to start anything, just trying to maybe learn something.
    Given that a lot of the components in an AR are manufactured by just a few companies that also make "mil-spec" IMO there really are only a few things that determine price. That assumes that the rifle is basically the same. CHF chrome lined barrel as an example. First is brand. Some makers can charge more than others due to reputation. Second is inspection practices such as each bolt being MPI inspected versus lot inspected. Third is finishing, did they take time to make it pretty.

I always refer back to a post from ARFCOM as I recall. One of the machine gun rental places found the premium uppers from PSA performed as well as or better than Colts on their Colt lowers. This was measuring round counts, general maintenance, needed repairs etc. For half the price, which made it a no-brainer for them given how quickly they wear them out.

If I were going to spend extra, it would on a premium LPK, an MPI tested bolt and CHF chrome lined barrel for a standard build.
    "A man who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing which is more important than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature and has no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself"

"He created the game, played the game, and lost the game.... All under his own terms, by his own doing." JW34

"Tolerance is the lube that helps slip the dildo of dysfunction into the ass of a civilized society." Plato

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast