Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Montgomery County)

Default VTAC Sling too Long?

Am I retarded or is my new VTAC "upgraded" quick-adjust sling too long?

I added a QD buckle and adjusted the rear end as short as it could go. But then when I go to adjust the front end buckle to the proper length, that leaves the adjustment feature with only an inch or two of play. The tighter the front 'permanent' adjustment piece goes, the more it takes away from the length the quick adjustment uses. Seems like the padded section itself is just too long. Or I need to add a QD mount further out on the rail (which I don't want to do).

I'm trying to keep the baseline length at about 38" and then be able to go longer and shorter from that baseline.

Any tips?

(York County)

Default Re: VTAC Sling too Long?

Quote Originally Posted by jthrelf View Post
    Am I retarded or is my new VTAC "upgraded" quick-adjust sling too long?

I added a QD buckle and adjusted the rear end as short as it could go. But then when I go to adjust the front end buckle to the proper length, that leaves the adjustment feature with only an inch or two of play. The tighter the front 'permanent' adjustment piece goes, the more it takes away from the length the quick adjustment uses. Seems like the padded section itself is just too long. Or I need to add a QD mount further out on the rail (which I don't want to do).

I'm trying to keep the baseline length at about 38" and then be able to go longer and shorter from that baseline.

Any tips?
    I just looked at the one VTAC sling I have and like all of these 2 point slings you have room on either side to cut down the webbing (make an angle cut and heat the end with a match/lighter). There's definitely not as much room on the top side of the sling but still a few inches. The bottom side (adjustment buckle side) there is more room. That said, as you can tell from the VTAC you can't trim off too much on the bottom as the pull strap on the VTAC has to go somewhere -- down to the bottom attachment point.

I like the Magpul 2 point slings much better -- less expensive, the plastic slider doesn't scratch up the finish like the VTAC metal adjuster, and there is nothing stopping you from trimming the sling down (no pull strap that will run into the bottom). Unfortunately, as you've determined the VTAC design doesn't leave a lot of room to tighten it up.

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by ontheborder View Post
    I just looked at the one VTAC sling I have and like all of these 2 point slings you have room on either side to cut down the webbing (make an angle cut and heat the end with a match/lighter). There's definitely not as much room on the top side of the sling but still a few inches. The bottom side (adjustment buckle side) there is more room. That said, as you can tell from the VTAC you can't trim off too much on the bottom as the pull strap on the VTAC has to go somewhere -- down to the bottom attachment point.

I like the Magpul 2 point slings much better -- less expensive, the plastic slider doesn't scratch up the finish like the VTAC metal adjuster, and there is nothing stopping you from trimming the sling down (no pull strap that will run into the bottom). Unfortunately, as you've determined the VTAC design doesn't leave a lot of room to tighten it up.
    Do the Magpul ones quick adjust? No issue returning it since it's from Amazon so maybe I'll grab one of those.

Cutting the ends wouldn't do anything because it's not the excess material that's the problem (I've just tucked that under the keeper bands), like you said it's the proximity of the quick adjust mechanism to the two metal buckles on the gun side of the sling.

(York County)

Quote Originally Posted by jthrelf View Post
    Do the Magpul ones quick adjust? No issue returning it since it's from Amazon so maybe I'll grab one of those.

Cutting the ends wouldn't do anything because it's not the excess material that's the problem (I've just tucked that under the keeper bands), like you said it's the proximity of the quick adjust mechanism to the two metal buckles on the gun side of the sling.
    Yes, the Magpul Two Point Sling - Quick Adjust has a plastic slider that is easy to manipulate quickly. I have three of them that I trimmed down a few inches each and they work great.

(York County)

I just did a quick check on-line and like everything else the prices on the Magpul slings have jumped. The best price seems to be Amazon for 42.95 for the FDE and 44.95 for the black. I can confirm that Amazon Magpul Two Point Sling - Quick Adjust is the MS1 sling. The one I ordered recently has the same tag as the 2 MS1s that I ordered previously from Primary Arms for around $30 on sale and now are $70!

(Bucks County)

I have the Magpul ms4. It is great. It can also be used as a single point sling if you are into having the jewels battered.

-Zach

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by ontheborder View Post
    I just did a quick check on-line and like everything else the prices on the Magpul slings have jumped. The best price seems to be Amazon for 42.95 for the FDE and 44.95 for the black. I can confirm that Amazon Magpul Two Point Sling - Quick Adjust is the MS1 sling. The one I ordered recently has the same tag as the 2 MS1s that I ordered previously from Primary Arms for around $30 on sale and now are $70!
    Brownells has the FDE for $34, so I'll probably grab one of those.

Thanks all.

(Bucks County)

Maybe you're too short.

If I used a one point sling, it would have to be with an AR pistol or an SBR.

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by RockIsland View Post
    Maybe you're too short.

If I used a one point sling, it would have to be with an AR pistol or an SBR.
    5'11" so don't blame this on me

(Montgomery County)

Grabbed one of the Magpul MS1s and wow what an improvement over the VTAC. The overall length adjustment as well as the quick adjust is so much better. Quite satisfied now.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast