Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Bucks County)

Default Problems mounting a red dot to an AK74 side rail. Is my side rail out of spec?

Does anyone know the proper dimensions of the optics side plate on an AK?

I bought the Midwest Industries 30mm side mount with hopes of mounting up an Aimpoint pro on my AK74, but the mount seems super loose. From what I see online, those things are supposed to slide on from the back and tighten in place with the cam system, however, the mount has so much clearance on my rifle that its can be placed directly on, like a pic rail. I was still able to secure it by tightening the cam system, but it digs into my top cover, doesn't co-witness, and gives me no faith it will maintain zero.

Now I'm left wondering if its my rifle or the mount. Height of the rifle's side plate, from tip to tip, measures a hair short of 14mm I tried google to find specs on the AK side plate to no avail.

Thanks

(Clearfield County)

Default Re: Problems mounting a red dot to an AK74 side rail. Is my side rail out of spec?

Quote Originally Posted by Ooglar View Post
    Does anyone know the proper dimensions of the optics side plate on an AK?

I bought the Midwest Industries 30mm side mount with hopes of mounting up an Aimpoint pro on my AK74, but the mount seems super loose. From what I see online, those things are supposed to slide on from the back and tighten in place with the cam system, however, the mount has so much clearance on my rifle that its can be placed directly on, like a pic rail. I was still able to secure it by tightening the cam system, but it digs into my top cover, doesn't co-witness, and gives me no faith it will maintain zero.

Now I'm left wondering if its my rifle or the mount. Height of the rifle's side plate, from tip to tip, measures a hair short of 14mm I tried google to find specs on the AK side plate to no avail.

Thanks
    I suspect you aren't putting it on right. The only way to install it correctly is to slide it on from the back.

(Bucks County)

Default Re: Problems mounting a red dot to an AK74 side rail. Is my side rail out of spec?

Sliding it on from the rear seems to make no difference (other than removing a line of finish from the top cover from repeated attempts). I haven't completely ruled out my idiocy as the cause of the issue, but I'm fairly certain it shouldn't be this difficult.

(Montgomery County)

Contact the manufacturer, they should be able to help. Many of them engage quite well on social media, try that route.

If that does not solve it, remember that the rifle in question was not engineered for an optic...
    Join the groups protecting your rights from the fools trying to take them from you!

(Clearfield County)

Quote Originally Posted by Ooglar View Post
    Sliding it on from the rear seems to make no difference (other than removing a line of finish from the top cover from repeated attempts). I haven't completely ruled out my idiocy as the cause of the issue, but I'm fairly certain it shouldn't be this difficult.
    You know you can tighten the cam right? They are made adjustable since commie stuff has such loose tolerances.

(Chester County)

Quote Originally Posted by raxar View Post
    You know you can tighten the cam right? They are made adjustable since commie stuff has such loose tolerances.
    I put a Russian Kobra red dot on my Romanian AK-74, but I had to shim the side mount due to the crappy tolerances.

(Bucks County)

The side mount on my WASR 10/63 (trunnion dated 1973) is warped. I suspect from the pounding on the rivets that fasten it. I tried several mounts and none would lock on without a wiggle. Gave up on it.
    There are two kinds of guns. Those I have acquired, and those I hope to.