Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Seeing far fewer deer this year...think one guy might be responsible..

Up until about 2 years ago we had a sizable deer population in my area and it was not uncommon for me to see a half dozen or more deer wandering through my property.

This year, I've not seen any during the daytime, and the game camera I have setup has shown only a doe and two fawns on my property, whereas in the past I'd see up to a dozen.

This guy probably owns 20 acres or so at least and I know he's got multiple tree stands up, Im able to see them from trails that are adjacent to, but not on his property...

Rumor from some other neighbors has it that the guy who bought the property behind me may be hunting year round now, and if it was just one guy saying this Id dismiss it but there are two people who have mentioned this now and that coupled with the reduced deer populations has me thinking there might be some truth to it.

I'm not anti-hunting, and understand that fewer deer are better than more deer from a resource standpoint, but still hunting out of season even on your own property is basically poaching correct?

Default Re: Seeing far fewer deer this year...think one guy might be responsible..

Quote Originally Posted by glocke12 View Post
    Up until about 2 years ago we had a sizable deer population in my area and it was not uncommon for me to see a half dozen or more deer wandering through my property.

This year, I've not seen any during the daytime, and the game camera I have setup has shown only a doe and two fawns on my property, whereas in the past I'd see up to a dozen.

This guy probably owns 20 acres or so at least and I know he's got multiple tree stands up, Im able to see them from trails that are adjacent to, but not on his property...

Rumor from some other neighbors has it that the guy who bought the property behind me may be hunting year round now, and if it was just one guy saying this Id dismiss it but there are two people who have mentioned this now and that coupled with the reduced deer populations has me thinking there might be some truth to it.

I'm not anti-hunting, and understand that fewer deer are better than more deer from a resource standpoint, but still hunting out of season even on your own property is basically poaching correct?

Absolutely and in my opinion it should be taken seriously for the good of the resource.

Default Re: Seeing far fewer deer this year...think one guy might be responsible..

I could see if you are poor and need food, but someone that owns 20acres...........

Quote Originally Posted by bogey1 View Post
    I could see if you are poor and need food, but someone that owns 20acres...........

20 acres is probably a little on the conservative side, but yeah...They are not poor.

Unfortunately there probably isn't a lot I can do either, I have no proof and am relying on the words of other people although there is no other explanation for the disappearance of that many deer in this area.

(Bucks County)

Some people just hate freedom.
    (Sorry streaker, but your line seemed appropriate here.)

In most cases, unless I'm personally affected my go to position is MYOFB.
    It is difficult to free fools from the chains they revere. Voltaire

Quote Originally Posted by buxbandit View Post

Yeah like the guy (if he actually is) poaching the deer all for himself. That belongs to us all as a natural renewable resource. They aren’t the kings deer.

Quote Originally Posted by buxbandit View Post

But is it MYOFB? If the guy is hunting out of season and taking most of the deer in the area, isn't the business of everyone if its affecting the local herd?

Quote Originally Posted by glocke12 View Post
    But is it MYOFB? If the guy is hunting out of season and taking most of the deer in the area, isn't the business of everyone if its affecting the local herd?
    Some people have trouble separating how they view freedom from their own personal selfish beliefs and needs.

(Bucks County)

My land, my resources.
    It is difficult to free fools from the chains they revere. Voltaire

(Bucks County)

https://www.pgc.pa.gov/HuntTrap/Law/...GameThief.aspx

You haven't witnessed it, but i suspect if you call them, they will take it seriously and investigate it.

-Zach

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast