Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: S&W Shield

(Susquehanna County)

Default S&W Shield

While getting my hunting license renewed locally (well sort of locally) I noticed that Jerry's Guns Shop in Allis Hollow PA (Bradford County) had several 9mm Shields with the price $340 while they last marked on them. Seems a good deal any thoughts?

"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities".

(Montgomery County)

Default Re: S&W Shield

Gen 1 or 2?

Gen 1 it's a fair to good deal, Gen 2 it's definitely a good deal. Either way the Shield is such a fine pistol in either generation I think you get a ton for the money even with today's prices. Many bought Shields for under $250 after rebate a few years ago but that's not where we are currently.
    Last edited by jthrelf; June 28th, 2020 at 05:59 PM.

Like stated above it's an excellent pistol that does everything well including longer range days unlike most other pistols in it's class. Spare mags are super affordable and the after market is really good. It's defiantly worth $340 in either generation.

PSA also has them (gen 1) at the same price as of today, like everything else prices are up because demand is high and production is down.

(Chester County)

Have a gen1 and have NEVER had a bullet it didn't like. Tons of aftermarket add ons but plain Jane is as reliable as you can get.

(Bucks County)

I did pay over $100 less for a Gen 1 with the old rebate but like others have mentioned those prices are gone now. This was my first plastic pistol and I did have some reservations when I first bought it......but it was too cheap to pass on and it came home with me. Now I am glad I bought it and I have been happy with it. It is compact and easy to conceal, you can just draw and pull the trigger (no safety), and I shot over 500 rounds it has never jammed once. What is there not to like? I can't think of any other new pistol for $340 that I would depend on more.

If Trump wins I can see the prices of the first generation going back down to $250-275 pretty fast. If Biden wins..... $340 might be a decent price. I got one for $200 with a rebate 3 years or so ago. A year ago it regularly went for $250.

As for the gun itself, I like it. I carried it a few times, but had also gotten a .45 shield around the same time for $225 and that was a my main carry gun until I got my sig 365. The gun has never had a misfire or a problem at the range though I am not as accurate with it as I am most of my other guns. I would be completely fine if it was the only gun I had to carry.

I*ve said it before, I have had many carry guns over the years and liked most of them but was always looking for my next carry gun until the Sig 365.

Quote Originally Posted by internet troll View Post
    If Trump wins I can see the prices of the first generation going back down to $250-275 pretty fast. If Biden wins..... $340 might be a decent price. I got one for $200 with a rebate 3 years or so ago. A year ago it regularly went for $250.

As for the gun itself, I like it. I carried it a few times, but had also gotten a .45 shield around the same time for $225 and that was a my main carry gun until I got my sig 365. The gun has never had a misfire or a problem at the range though I am not as accurate with it as I am most of my other guns. I would be completely fine if it was the only gun I had to carry.

I*ve said it before, I have had many carry guns over the years and liked most of them but was always looking for my next carry gun until the Sig 365.
    Btw.... Palmetto State had them for $280 a month or so ago. I suggested to one of my friends who is looking for his first gun to hop on it. He did not and we will be looking at guns this week. Last time I checked Palmetto had them for $320 and they seem to be going up. Who knows how much they will be in another month.

(Northampton County)

My EDC is a S&W Shield 9mm 2nd generation. Have put approx 600 rounds through it. No malfunctions of any kind. Put Samson Mag extensions on several magazines to better fit my large hands. Added bonus of the extensions is an increase from 8+1 capacity to 9+1.
    Also added:
    M&P Shield Model Black Grip No Imprint
    by ArachniGRIP
    The increased grip makes racking the slide much easier.
    The pistol conceals very well even with summer clothing.

(Lancaster County)

It's been my EDC since about 2013 or so, only in the last year or so rotating between it and an XDS which I like about equally well. It's considered the standard by which other carry pistols are measured for many reasons, basically THE concealable pistol with sufficient power that's easy to shoot well. Get one if you don't have one already.
    "You can't stop insane people from doing insane things by passing insane laws--that's insane!" -- Penn Jillette

"To my mind it is wholly irresponsible to go into the world incapable of preventing violence, injury, crime, and death. How feeble is the mindset to accept defenselessness. How unnatural. How cheap. How cowardly. How pathetic." -- Ted Nugent

That is a fair price given the times. On a side note, I completed Reid Henrich's Pistol Craft 1 class with a first gen Shield 9 with no problems. Excellent pistol IMHO.
    My GGG Grandpappy,front row (20th NC, Co. F.) and Family Circa 1900.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast