Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Default Re: Best Groundhog trap?

I have a havahart large or extra large. I've owned it probably closer to 30 years and never had it not work. Caught more groundhogs and rabbits than I can recall. Not sure what the complaints are, but the only thing I can think of is people set the trigger too heavy because they have no common sense. Granted mine is old, they may be junk now.
    Last edited by God's Country; June 27th, 2020 at 08:27 AM.

(Berks County)

If you whistle when you see them they'll stand up and look for you, then you have a larger mass to hit with whatever rifle you're shooting them with. I have a full range of Hav-a-harts and they work well using apple for bait. Once in a while I'll get a big ol' grey one who won't go into a hav-a-hart so I set a yuuuge circle of leg traps with apple slices in the middle and they can't resist. Using leg traps in that manner is illegal so it's definitely (and defiantly) a covert operation.
    Gender confusion is a mental illness

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by DennisH82 View Post
    Hypothetically I have been fortunate to have the ability to sit for long periods of time motionless with a .22 pellet rifle and pretty good aim. I am 6 for 7 to date. #7 was a shifty fellow that seems to have it on the ball with stealth movement after I grazed his head. Its just a matter of time before he gets lazy.
    Normally, this might be my approach but:
    1. Living under a brand new (as in like only months old) shed. A miss could damage it.
    2. Not my property. Although i also have a groundhog on my property.
    3. Lots of neighbors and housing nearby. Although the property is fenced in. Still, best not to provoke neighbors.

-Zach

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by God's Country View Post
    I have a havahart large or extra large. I've owned it probably closer to 30 years and never had it not work. Caught more groundhogs and rabbits than I can recall. Not sure what the complaints are, but the only thing I can think of is people set the trigger too heavy because they have no common sense. Granted mine is old, they may be junk now.
    I think your last sentence is the issue. I think the new ones aren't as nice. I have a small havahart rat trap and it is a very nice trap. As the traps increase in size and complexity, the complaints become more and more.

-Zach

(Allegheny County)

Depends on the type of trap, but I'll throw this out there after having deployed a raccoon sized Have a Heart trap for raccoons.

In their attempt to escape, raccoons will tear the shit out of the grass under and as far as they can reach surrounding the trap. As in, rectangular crater of bare dirt and a trap filled with raccoon and a lot of dirt and grass.
    After that, I started placing the trap onto a large plank of wood.

You may be seeking a groundhog, but you have no control over what type of critter gets trapped.

Speaking of... "what if a skunk gets trapped???" was a thought that crossed my mind.
    My trap has the "easy set" door (or something like that) and I was able to tie a long piece of nylon twine to the release handle.
    I positioned it so that the twine was suspended in the air vs lying on the ground and looped the end on the fence where I could utilize it to open the door "remotely" on the chance I snagged a skunk.
    I called to check my ZIP CODE!....DY-NO-MITE!!!

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by Emptymag View Post
    Depends on the type of trap, but I'll throw this out there after having deployed a raccoon sized Have a Heart trap for raccoons.

In their attempt to escape, raccoons will tear the shit out of the grass under and as far as they can reach surrounding the trap. As in, rectangular crater of bare dirt and a trap filled with raccoon and a lot of dirt and grass.
    After that, I started placing the trap onto a large plank of wood.

You may be seeking a groundhog, but you have no control over what type of critter gets trapped.

Speaking of... "what if a skunk gets trapped???" was a thought that crossed my mind.
    My trap has the "easy set" door (or something like that) and I was able to tie a long piece of nylon twine to the release handle.
    I positioned it so that the twine was suspended in the air vs lying on the ground and looped the end on the fence where I could utilize it to open the door "remotely" on the chance I snagged a skunk.
    So...conibear? A dead skunk isn't ideal, but it is easier to deal with a few days later.

Fair point though. There are a lot of skunks in my area.

-Zach

(Berks County)

Quote Originally Posted by zachomega View Post
    So...conibear? A dead skunk isn't ideal, but it is easier to deal with a few days later.

Fair point though. There are a lot of skunks in my area.

-Zach
    I've nabbed two skunks and if you can cap 'em and go to work it's not that bad of an experience. Conibear traps work well too but if you get one big enough to take a groundhog you'll need that overpriced tool to get it set...unless you can make your own but just doing it bare handed won't happen.

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by Walleye Hunter View Post
    I've nabbed two skunks and if you can cap 'em and go to work it's not that bad of an experience. Conibear traps work well too but if you get one big enough to take a groundhog you'll need that overpriced tool to get it set...unless you can make your own but just doing it bare handed won't happen.
    I just watched a video where a guy set a conibear 330 by hand. He certainly didn't recommend it. I think a 330 is a bit overkill. You only need to get their neck into it.

I was thinking (off topic sort of) that a vise with one of those pistol squeeze grips and two blocks of wood with a groove on them would work to set those springs on a 330 and a c clamp to keep it from snapping shut on your hand. The tool at least keeps your hand away from the action though.

Those 330s are no joke.

-Zach

(Berks County)

Quote Originally Posted by zachomega View Post
    I just watched a video where a guy set a conibear 330 by hand. He certainly didn't recommend it. I think a 330 is a bit overkill. You only need to get their neck into it.

I was thinking (off topic sort of) that a vise with one of those pistol squeeze grips and two blocks of wood with a groove on them would work to set those springs on a 330 and a c clamp to keep it from snapping shut on your hand. The tool at least keeps your hand away from the action though.

Those 330s are no joke.
    -Zach
    I consider myself to be pretty competent and creative at improvising and I would not set that large one improvising. I have two of those traps but I don't know what numbered sizes they are. IIRC the small one only has one spring on it and I can set that without tools or with channel lock pliers. I tried the other one and ruled against the idea. And I have vises, C-clamps, etc. However, if you do and you succeed I would like to hear your method.

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by Walleye Hunter View Post
    I consider myself to be pretty competent and creative at improvising and I would not set that large one improvising. I have two of those traps but I don't know what numbered sizes they are. IIRC the small one only has one spring on it and I can set that without tools or with channel lock pliers. I tried the other one and ruled against the idea. And I have vises, C-clamps, etc. However, if you do and you succeed I would like to hear your method.
    Single spring, 4.5" opening? 110. The larger ones could be anything.

This is the guy setting the 330 with and without tools.

-Zach

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast