Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Default Transforming a walk in closet into gun room

hello fellow firearm enthusiasts, I've outgrown my current gun safe and dont have the room to buy a bigger safe and was considering converting the walk in closet in my office into a gun room. the problem I will encounter is the closet doesnt have a normal door, but 2 sliding door which makes the entrance roughly 6ft wide.

Has anyone performed this, looking for ideas?

(Philadelphia County)

Default Re: Transforming a walk in closet into gun room

Neat idea,perhaps you could get a contractor to wall off the opening down to the width of a standard door size?
    There are no pacts between lions and men.

(Mercer County)

I was going to use steel security doors to convert, but went with safe as in the end. https://www.homedepot.com/b/Doors-Wi...4152,4159,4148
    If house was broken into probably would not take much to either break through wall or rip door down, but would keep kids out. Also think would make noticable target

(Berks County)

Quote Originally Posted by Krichardson View Post
    Neat idea,perhaps you could get a contractor to wall off the opening down to the width of a standard door size?
    This, if you need the wall space. I closed off a basement area for such a room and stumbled into some free slat wall, with the aluminum inserts, and a box of hooks. $8 for a can of Plasti-Dip to coat the hooks. It's sturdy and quite modular. Even if buying the slat wall, it's not incredibly expensive, though hooks could add up.

https://www.uline.com/BL_8935/Slatwa...ls-and-Inserts

There are many opinions on security ranging from a concrete vault with vault like door, to just a closet. I think what's more important is keeping a low profile.

I briefly looked into hidden doors, but in my application people would have wondered why there was a built in bookcase there, so I just made a room.
    Last edited by esh21167; June 25th, 2020 at 10:15 AM.

(Bucks County)

Are you just looking for a place for the guns or to turn the room into a safe?

Not sure how big your safe is, but i know some people put carousel style gun racks in them to maximize use of space.

Drywall, in my opinion, isn't going to keep somebody out who is remotely motivated. So no sense in a steel door. It's a cool idea, but only if it is a hidden safe.

I've seen a few online where book cases are installed to hide the entry.

-Zach

I have those doors on my closets as well.

I've always considered installing French doors and adding shelving/drawers inside but they'd need to be cut down to size. It's doable though.

Galations 6:9...And let us not grow weary of doing good, for in due season we will reap, if we do not give up.
    Ashli Babbitt - Patriot

(Northampton County)

I'm thinking along the same lines except it will be a purpose built "closet" rather than a conversion. Closing the current door opening to create a regular door opening would be a simple task. Hornady sells a security door that would solve the access issue. As far as the walls, if you reinforce them with 1 1/2" plywood a burglar would play hell getting through without significant effort.

https://www.snapsafe.com/specialty-s...ult-room-doors

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by rkrcpa View Post
    I'm thinking along the same lines except it will be a purpose built "closet" rather than a conversion. Closing the current door opening to create a regular door opening would be a simple task. Hornady sells a security door that would solve the access issue. As far as the walls, if you reinforce them with 1 1/2" plywood a burglar would play hell getting through without significant effort.

I think you are underestimating burglars. With the advent of quality battery operated tools, it isn't hard to imagine how quickly somebody with a sawsall or an angle grinder could easily bypass plywood and possibly the entire security door.

-Zach

Quote Originally Posted by rkrcpa View Post

I was considering gutting the closet and installing 1/8" steel sheets then applying fireproof drywall for extra protection. I did consider blocking off the wide door entrance to install a smaller normal door. I saw a youtube video of a guy that made his closet in a gun room then installed a hidden door disguised as a mirror...

(Westmoreland County)

Great topic!

As you go, I'll add a few tidbits.

1. Expanded metal can be sandwiched between layers of drywall and would be much lighter than full sheets of metal. Certainly not safe-cracker proof, but would greatly increase strength of drywall. Alternatively, concrete backerboard in between is quite strong but heavier. It's hard on drill bits and saws coming through different materials.

2. Standard 1/2" drywall could give approx 1hr fire rating if you sandwiched the metal between 2 layers.

3. Figure out how to want to mount items on your walls. If adding slatwall, no problem. If shelves and such, you can put a layer of osb inside the drywall sandwich, then you can put screws ANYWHERE.

4. What is your floor/support like? Keep in mind the weight. If you have the strength, you can add concrete board to walls, floor, ceiling.

5. Keep in mind as you get it 'tighter' to consider air and ability to open from inside. Might even want to have inside lock, if you want to make it a panic room. (go as little or as far as you want)

I'd love to see some shelving/storage layouts for such a room. We all need one...or two! LOL

Good luck, looking forward to your progress
    I Dial 1911

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast