Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    (Bucks County)

Default Re: Transforming a walk in closet into gun room

I'm a carpenter and do commercial jobs. Usually the manager office / where they keep the safe they use fire rated plywood or chicken wire then drywall after so it's harder to break in from the outside. Then 1 layer of 5/8 drywall on both sides gets you a 1 hour fire rating so for each layer you get additional fire rating. And could do a steel door with a better lock setup.

(Bucks County)

Adding a little extra protection to the drywall is not a bad idea (mostly for fire protection) but don't go overboard. Especially if the door with a dead bolt is in an office and not your bedroom. A burglar quickly looking thru an office will see a deadbolted door and move on. Unless of course you advertise and they know you are a gunowner with a big collection. At that point if they had enough time a determined burglar can break thru a wall. But in less time that determined burglar could have used a portable cutting torch and cut the side wall out of your safe.

And I woulod build a heavy outward opening door frame.

(Mifflin County)

I like the hidden door idea , Book case ., Full length mirror ,.................... Hidden in plain sight .

(Philadelphia County)

Quote Originally Posted by 57springer View Post
    I like the hidden door idea , Book case ., Full length mirror ,.................... Hidden in plain sight .
    Agreed.
    There are no pacts between lions and men.

Quote Originally Posted by Delkal View Post
    Adding a little extra protection to the drywall is not a bad idea (mostly for fire protection) but don't go overboard. Especially if the door with a dead bolt is in an office and not your bedroom. A burglar quickly looking thru an office will see a deadbolted door and move on. Unless of course you advertise and they know you are a gunowner with a big collection. At that point if they had enough time a determined burglar can break thru a wall. But in less time that determined burglar could have used a portable cutting torch and cut the side wall out of your safe.

And I woulod build a heavy outward opening door frame.

Lots of good ideas here, except the outward opening door. If you are inside you could get locked in, if someone were to block the door. My gun room door open inward for this reason.
    Aggies Coach Really ??? Take off the tin foil bro.

(Delaware County)

Wire mesh between layers of sheetrock provide a great DNA sampling tool for those who try to break in. I would spend the extra money and buy a commercial door with a steel frame. they are harder to break into than most would think. Packing the walls which support the door on both the hinge and lock sides with 3-4 added studs will keep those looking to use a prybar from making a separation between jamb and door. There are lots of small fixes you could do to make the room that much more secure. A layer of 3/4 ply would add extra protection. Protect the ceiling as well.

Add one of these in the room if someone should make it past all of your measures...burglar bomb.com

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by Daycrawler View Post
    Lots of good ideas here, except the outward opening door. If you are inside you could get locked in, if someone were to block the door. My gun room door open inward for this reason.
    Just about anyone can kick a door inwards if they try hard enough. The only thing holding it is a thin piece of the door frame where the inch of a deadbolt goes in. No one will be able to pull it open.

What is the issue with being in a roof full of guns and ammo with bad guys outside? Hiding should be safer than opening the door and trying to confront them. If you are worried about getting locked in and starving leave a sledgehammer in their with your firearms. After they leave you kick the door out or bust thru a wall.

(Allegheny County)

The lock is going to be the weakest link. Youtube is filled with detailed instruction on defeating most keyed or electronic locks out there.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NLcpnTJIhXQ
    Toujours prêt

(Bucks County)

I saw a house under construction in Plano, Texas back in *85. They were installing lengths of 1/2* rebar into horizontal holes drilled into the studs surrounding a 12*x12* room. Took me a while to figure it out, but it was structural barriers to breaking into that room. Spaced close enough that only a small child could crawl through, but not heavy like a metal sheet, and rebar is cheap. Cover it on both sides with quality drywall and you get a fire-rated wall.

(Lehigh County)

Quote Originally Posted by Manxdriver View Post
    I saw a house under construction in Plano, Texas back in *85. They were installing lengths of 1/2* rebar into horizontal holes drilled into the studs surrounding a 12*x12* room. Took me a while to figure it out, but it was structural barriers to breaking into that room. Spaced close enough that only a small child could crawl through, but not heavy like a metal sheet, and rebar is cheap. Cover it on both sides with quality drywall and you get a fire-rated wall.
    I wonder if it was related to tornado danger in that area?
    Illegitimus non carborundum est

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast