Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    (Bucks County)

Default Executives @ Smith @ Wesson

Hey guys...some of you may remember my issues with a new Model 29.

I can pass along the details, but the long and short of it....is that the bluing simply isn't right and it's been to S & W now three times. The second time was due to gouges placed in it when it went in the first time. This has been going on since I got it in February

Would anyone have an idea as to whom I may send a registered letter to at S & W in an effort to get this replaced, refunded, etc? (I really have wanted this piece for a long time, but I'm getting frustrated.)

I can't seem to find anything when I do a web search.

I have all the info, pics, etc. The pic attached is how it looks now. The guy that I've been in contact with at S&W suggested some CLP and a soft brush. Didn't hurt...didn't help.

IMG_7874.JPG

(Bucks County)

Default Re: Executives @ Smith @ Wesson

Do you have a before it went picture? Clearly it isn't polished the same. Doesn't that have to do with metal prep before they blue it?

-Zach

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by zachomega View Post
    Do you have a before it went picture? Clearly it isn't polished the same. Doesn't that have to do with metal prep before they blue it?

-Zach
    Yes. Here's the story in a nutshell. I have to mention that I'm not trying to bash S&W, just trying to find a way to get this problem handled. I ordered this 29 in October of 2019, it came in around Feb 13 of 2020.

The fist pic shows the mottled appearance of the bluing when new. My dealer suggested sending back. Smith & Wesson CS wanted it back. My FFL sent it.

The second pic shows the gouges on the frame present when it returned. S&W wanted it back again. FFL sent it.

When it came back, it wasn't repaired and in the documentation, S&W blamed the customer for the damage. Once again, I got in contact with S&W, who told me that whomever is given the repair at their facility makes the determination. Considering I've never fired the gun, and it's only been in my hands a few days total since I took possession...I thought this was wrong. Finally, had some emails with a person at S&W who asked me to send it back directly...not though my FFL.

So, it came back again the beginning of this month. It was heavily oiled but looked OK. I even thanked my contact at S&W. Last Saturday, I took it out of the safe to look at it, wipe it down and oil. This is when I found the spot shown in my original post. I should add that other areas have a similar appearance, but not as severe as the one shown.

It's important to know that I didn't harm this revolver. It's been treated with kid gloves. I haven't fired or cleaned it. It's only had a cloth and oil.

Sorry for all this detail guys, I'm just hoping to get a letter to someone at S&W that can get this sorted.

IMG_7496.JPG#2.jpg
    Last edited by MattMPA; June 25th, 2020 at 08:33 AM.

(Bucks County)

Hopefully they'll take care of your problem. I can't believe they returned it to you scratched like that. My experience with s&w customer service has been positive, but it was always with stainless firearms.

-Zach

(Montgomery County)

Honestly? I'm more bothered by that extra hole in the side than the finish... but that's just me. I hope everything works out for you with this. I bought one new S&W product, my first AR. Had a railed gas block that was canted to one side, back up irons wouldn't quite zero. I sent it out, they did nothing, I said eff it, free floated it with a low profile block, much happier.

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by bluetrane2028 View Post
    Honestly? I'm more bothered by that extra hole in the side than the finish... but that's just me. I hope everything works out for you with this. I bought one new S&W product, my first AR. Had a railed gas block that was canted to one side, back up irons wouldn't quite zero. I sent it out, they did nothing, I said eff it, free floated it with a low profile block, much happier.
    Internal lock aside, i think the issue is that when you spend s&w money, you want the old s&w quality that the name was built upon.

Otherwise, we'd all but Taurus.

-Zach

(Montgomery County)

Internal lock aside, i think the issue is that when you spend s&w money, you want the old s&w quality that the name was built upon.

-Zach
    That's why I mostly buy used ones... that rifle told me enough.

(Bucks County)

-Zach
    Agreed. I deliberately bought a new one so that if I had a problem, there'd be a solution. (Same reason I play a modern Gretsch guitar over a 1959 model)

They tell me the bluing process is different now, but I think it should be right. I mean, it's shipped with a presentation case.

My hope is to find out who's in a charge...seemingly a difficult task.

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by MattMPA View Post
    Agreed. I deliberately bought a new one so that if I had a problem, there'd be a solution. (Same reason I play a modern Gretsch guitar over a 1959 model)

They tell me the bluing process is different now, but I think it should be right. I mean, it's shipped with a presentation case.

My hope is to find out who's in a charge...seemingly a difficult task.
    Sounds like they should either replace it, or blue the entire gun so it at least matches. The dark polished blue that it came with is much much nicer than the matte blue. But if it matched, it'd be a lot less offensive.

I suspect they purposely are going to make it difficult to find somebody in charge. They should have fixed it right though. It looked better before they touched it at all.

-Zach
    P.S. I feel the same way about vintage guitars. Too much to go wrong. Wood is unpredictable. Modern guitar + vintage amp and I'm good to go.

Mark Smith, co-President and co-Chief Executive Officer

Good luck.

Adios,

Pizza Bob
    NRA Benefactor Member

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast