Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    (Bucks County)

Default Anybody shoot at Holmesburg fish and game?

Pros? Cons? I've shot there twice with a friend who is a member. It is about equal distance from me as Wicen's (which I've only shot at once over a decade ago).

-Zach

(Bucks County)

Default Re: Anybody shoot at Holmesburg fish and game?

I’ve had a membership there for a few years. It’s closer than BCF&G, where I also shoot.

The rifle range is set up so that you can put target frames at 25, 50, 75 or 100, all on the same range. That works just fine when I want to shoot a few different rifles, like a 9mm PCC, .22s, as well as a 223 or 308, while sitting at the same bench.

I’ve never shot at the pistol range, since it’s often in use by the City, and when I last looked into it you had to request special target frames, locked in some shed, to shoot under 25 yards. I have little desire to shoot pistols at 25 yards.

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by frankski View Post
    I*ve had a membership there for a few years. It*s closer than BCF&G, where I also shoot.

The rifle range is set up so that you can put target frames at 25, 50, 75 or 100, all on the same range. That works just fine when I want to shoot a few different rifles, like a 9mm PCC, .22s, as well as a 223 or 308, while sitting at the same bench.

I*ve never shot at the pistol range, since it*s often in use by the City, and when I last looked into it you had to request special target frames, locked in some shed, to shoot under 25 yards. I have little desire to shoot pistols at 25 yards.
    Bcf&g?

I only shot at the rifle range at Holmesburg. When i was there the pistol range was busy as well. One of the two times i was there, I shot their .22 plinking event. It was fun.

Do they have a loaded ammo limit? I thought i recalled seeing 5 round limit? Presumably rapid fire is off limits. No issues with muzzle brakes? How bad is the orientation there?

-Zach

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by zachomega View Post
    Bcf&g?

I only shot at the rifle range at Holmesburg. When i was there the pistol range was busy as well. One of the two times i was there, I shot their .22 plinking event. It was fun.

Do they have a loaded ammo limit? I thought i recalled seeing 5 round limit? Presumably rapid fire is off limits. No issues with muzzle brakes? How bad is the orientation there?

-Zach
    Oh right, the five round limit applies at Holmesburg, as well as prohibition of rapid fire. I’d almost forgotten. I’ve assumed that rule was because the City of Philly owns the property and you gotta keep those civilians in line. Many times I’ve been at the rifle range shooting slowly with multiple magazines loaded with the five round limit, while 200 feet away the police (or prisons, or some other city division) is banging away doing rapid fire mag dumps.

Brakes are fine.

The orientation was okay. To the best of my recollection it was a walk around and safety talk. I’ve been shooting for 60 years without incident so orientations are not particularly eye opening. There is a pistol qualification at 25 yards. I think it was ten consecutive shots in a ten inch circle to qualify to use the indoor range. Two of us out of the ten or fifteen at orientation qualified. Some people were shooting the crap out of the timber berms.

BCFG is Bucks County Fish and Game in Doylestown.

(Bucks County)

Oh right, the five round limit applies at Holmesburg, as well as prohibition of rapid fire. I*d almost forgotten. I*ve assumed that rule was because the City of Philly owns the property and you gotta keep those civilians in line. Many times I*ve been at the rifle range shooting slowly with multiple magazines loaded with the five round limit, while 200 feet away the police (or prisons, or some other city division) is banging away doing rapid fire mag dumps.

Brakes are fine.

The orientation was okay. To the best of my recollection it was a walk around and safety talk. I*ve been shooting for 60 years without incident so orientations are not particularly eye opening. There is a pistol qualification at 25 yards. I think it was ten consecutive shots in a ten inch circle to qualify to use the indoor range. Two of us out of the ten or fifteen at orientation qualified. Some people were shooting the crap out of the timber berms.

BCFG is Bucks County Fish and Game in Doylestown.
    Thank you! Doylestown is WAY too far from me. Especially since for indoor pistol, i live 5 minutes from ready aim fire.

I can live with 5 rounds. I don't need to shoot fast with a high power (with respect to .22lr) rifle.

I didn't realize they had an indoor range. 25 yards is a hell of a hard qualification for the average shooter (including myself). Does caliber come into play for that qualification? I could certainly do it with a .22 and a pistol scope. Haha.

It was definitely interesting when you walked under the wooden beams at the rifle range and saw how many rounds were lodged into it. Is there any excuse other than negligent discharge?

-Zach

(Bucks County)

Thank you! Doylestown is WAY too far from me. Especially since for indoor pistol, i live 5 minutes from ready aim fire.

I can live with 5 rounds. I don't need to shoot fast with a high power (with respect to .22lr) rifle.

I didn't realize they had an indoor range. 25 yards is a hell of a hard qualification for the average shooter (including myself). Does caliber come into play for that qualification? I could certainly do it with a .22 and a pistol scope. Haha.

It was definitely interesting when you walked under the wooden beams at the rifle range and saw how many rounds were lodged into it. Is there any excuse other than negligent discharge?

-Zach
    I think you can use a 22 for the qualification. But that’s only required to shoot indoors. Anyone can bang away outside.

I’ve never used the indoor range. It’s lead only, you need a companion to call 911 in case you shoot your self, and there’s some procedure to turn on the ventilation system that I’ve long forgotten.

You want to see negligent discharges, go to Ready Aim Fire on a Saturday night.

(Bucks County)

I think you can use a 22 for the qualification. But that*s only required to shoot indoors. Anyone can bang away outside.

I*ve never used the indoor range. It*s lead only, you need a companion to call 911 in case you shoot your self, and there*s some procedure to turn on the ventilation system that I*ve long forgotten.

You want to see negligent discharges, go to Ready Aim Fire on a Saturday night.
    Oh. I literally never shoot lead only. So no sense in qualifying anyway.

Funny you should mention about NDs at RAF. That is how their fire from a few years ago started. Somebody shot a ventilation fan. Seized the fan, motor burned up and started a fire.

But yep, bullets in the walls, ceiling, or scarier, the sides of the stalls.

Just want to thank you for your information on Holmesburg. I'll probably join in a month or so. Need to pace my spending.

-Zach

(Bucks County)

Oh. I literally never shoot lead only. So no sense in qualifying anyway.

Funny you should mention about NDs at RAF. That is how their fire from a few years ago started. Somebody shot a ventilation fan. Seized the fan, motor burned up and started a fire.

But yep, bullets in the walls, ceiling, or scarier, the sides of the stalls.

Just want to thank you for your information on Holmesburg. I'll probably join in a month or so. Need to pace my spending.

-Zach
    I hope to see you there sometime.

Just to be clear, the rules are a bit silly, but the people are great. Lots of good guys, relaxed and fun shooting and socializing.

(Bucks County)

I hope to see you there sometime.

Just to be clear, the rules are a bit silly, but the people are great. Lots of good guys, relaxed and fun shooting and socializing.
    No place is perfect with the rules. Good people who are safe with their guns is all i can ask for.

-Zach

(Bucks County)

Pros? Cons? I've shot there twice with a friend who is a member. It is about equal distance from me as Wicen's (which I've only shot at once over a decade ago).

-Zach
    My information is old, so I don't know what current status is. But when I checked the place out maybe 12 years ago, there was a no-CCW rule in place. That's right, no carry at a gun range. I emailed back and forth with some board member on this, and got fudd answers. YMMV nowadays.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast