Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Default Re: Anybody shoot at Holmesburg fish and game?

Have you considered Falls Township? That*s closer to you, terrific indoor range with no restrictions on lead or jacketed other than normal calibre limits...rifle range out to 200 yards, out door pistol range, plinking range, etc.

Holmesburg is required to allow the use of their pistol ranges by Phila Prisons, and a few other agencies Tuesday thru Friday until about 2-3pm. Then it*s available to the members. Mondays it is clear for member use. Unfortunately during the summer months it is closed to pistols on the weekends as the City has determined that it can*t be used as there is a park walk behind on the river bank. Rifles and pistols ok on the rifle range.

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by fotomaniac View Post
    Have you considered Falls Township? That*s closer to you, terrific indoor range with no restrictions on lead or jacketed other than normal calibre limits...rifle range out to 200 yards, out door pistol range, plinking range, etc.

Holmesburg is required to allow the use of their pistol ranges by Phila Prisons, and a few other agencies Tuesday thru Friday until about 2-3pm. Then it*s available to the members. Mondays it is clear for member use. Unfortunately during the summer months it is closed to pistols on the weekends as the City has determined that it can*t be used as there is a park walk behind on the river bank. Rifles and pistols ok on the rifle range.
    I would love to. It is literally under 5 minutes from me. BUT you need a sponsor to join.

-Zach

You don*t know ANYONE who*s a member?

(Montgomery County)

I was a member there about 10 years ago. Some of the rules at the time...
    -No CCW rule in place.
    - "1 round in the rifle" rule. As you can imagine, shooting a 22 tube fed rifle was very cumbersome.
    - No rapid fire
    - No drawing
    - Pistol range is 25 yards only. They pretended to have a or 2 lanes with an intermediate distance target. 16 yards, but it was s special target that was always locked up in a shed. You needed to get someone with a key to open it for you. How often was that person there? I never saw them.

They claim that many of these rules are imposed by the city, but it still doesn't make it any better.

I found that it was not worth my time or money t be a member there. Unfortunate because it was super convenient to my location at the time.

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by fotomaniac View Post
    You don*t know ANYONE who*s a member?
    I do not. I didn't even know it existed until a few hours ago. :P

Everybody i know shoots at Holmesburg, Wicen's, or classic pistol.

-Zach

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by Don Quixote View Post
    I was a member there about 10 years ago. Some of the rules at the time...
    -No CCW rule in place.
    - "1 round in the rifle" rule. As you can imagine, shooting a 22 tube fed rifle was very cumbersome.
    - No rapid fire
    - No drawing
    - Pistol range is 25 yards only. They pretended to have a or 2 lanes with an intermediate distance target. 16 yards, but it was s special target that was always locked up in a shed. You needed to get someone with a key to open it for you. How often was that person there? I never saw them.

They claim that many of these rules are imposed by the city, but it still doesn't make it any better.

I found that it was not worth my time or money t be a member there. Unfortunate because it was super convenient to my location at the time.
    I guess i won't be shooting pistols there at all.

It sounds like they've loosened up on the 1 round rule.

Unfortunately for me, Wicen's and Holmesburg are the only two places near me that don't require a sponsor.

I'm not an unlikeable guy, but I have better shit to do with my time than go to matches that I'm not interested in to schmooze and hope to get on a waiting list.

-Zach

I'm going to second the if anyone is a members of Fall Township or knows anyone that can hook a guy up. I'm closer to Holmesburg but since from what I found is that they also have an indoor range but they need you to have someone with you as you can't use it 24/7 or at least requires a second person with you.

Looking for a 24/7 indoor range that members can use anytime without any crazy restrictions like lead only.

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by frankski View Post
    I hope to see you there sometime.

Just to be clear, the rules are a bit silly, but the people are great. Lots of good guys, relaxed and fun shooting and socializing.
    I had my orientation yesterday and ended up qualifying for using the indoor range when it returns to being open. I have a few boxes of lead .22 that I'll save just for that.

-Zach

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by zachomega View Post
    I had my orientation yesterday and ended up qualifying for using the indoor range when it returns to being open. I have a few boxes of lead .22 that I'll save just for that.

-Zach
    Way to go!

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by frankski View Post
    Way to go!
    Thanks. Now if the weather would cool off a little so i could enjoy shooting. Hopefully I'll get up there next week if the weather can stay out of the 90's.

-Zach

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast