Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Bucks County)

Default PA resident and secondary home in MD

I was asked by my buddy...

Can I have a handgun at my home in MD?

I found the mag restrictions. I found the children in the home under 16 years law.

But did not see anything about second residence issues

Anyone here know?

Thank you in advance.

(Franklin County)

Default Re: PA resident and secondary home in MD

I assume you're suggesting taking something that was purchased in PA down to the MD home?

It looks like even if the gun were taken directly to the MD home, and then remained there permanently, it would still need to be on an "approved" list, and be registered upon bringing it into the state. That requirement would rely on the state of MD considering them "residents". I'm not sure if there is a potential "loophole" for property owners who are only there part-time.

The folks over at http://mdshooters.com would likely have good solids answers, but would likely require a few more specifics than you've posted here.
    Get your "Guns Save Lives" stickers today! PM for more info.

(Northampton County)

Tell him, Owning a home in Maryland=Sucks to be him.

(Bucks County)

Actually some parts of Maryland are beautiful and great for hunting.

The secondary residence is in an area with great fishing and awesome places to lease hunting ground.

(Carbon County)

Quote Originally Posted by thefirstndsecond View Post
    Actually some parts of Maryland are beautiful and great for hunting.

The secondary residence is in an area with great fishing and awesome places to lease hunting ground.
    Very much so. I have a cabin, and family has another nearby. Within a state forest, along NPS property. We have leased and owned property. So it sucks having the challenges of staying on the right side of the law. Throw in interstate and intrastate travel make that even more challenging. I keep everything locked up and separated for travel. Even then I think it*s when I*m at the most risk of an overzealous LEO.

I*ve talked many times to the local rangers, and also with the chief of the NPS police. Within the structure I am confident that I*m not on the wrong side of the law, carrying anything. When I*m carrying outside I keep my hunting license with me. There are plenty of groundhogs and coyotes around to justify that pretty much year round. I*ve still gotta be aware of the rules for our private and leased property, and also state and federal rules and regs, such as FOPA and COMAR restrictions.

IANAL. So yes, I suggest using the MDshooters forum to help you out, they are very active and helpful on there. Do your own research, it*s a big deal to find out the hard way that you are wrong. Being in Western MD helps, as LEO there seem to be more used to seeing firearms. Ive been around them almost 40 years, and it*s been mutually respectful.

How much are you there? Not sure of the residency requirements, but I never felt my 1-2 weekends a month, or weeks here and there qualified. It would save me a lot on my licenses if it did. Good luck