Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Allegheny County)

Default Rifle Length Buffer Tubes - School Me

I have an AR15 - a basic carbine setup - carbine length gas - carbine buffer tube/collapsible stock.

I have an A1 length fixed stock that I would like to install.
    I have no buffer tube, buffer, spring, or top screw for the stock.

I've been researching and I have somewhat of a "grasp" of the difference between A1 and A2 length stocks.
    As I understand it, they both use a rifle length buffer tube, but the A2 uses a spacer to extend the buffer tube to where the top screw in the butt plate can reach it.

I assume all I need to do is get a rifle length buffer tube, screw, and a buffer spring and buffer.
    I don't know if I would need a rifle buffer, or a carbine buffer - I assume a rifle buffer, but that's why I'm asking.

Also, is there any issue with reliability/function using a rifle buffer tube, etc on a gun with a carbine length gas system?
    If so, I'll just scrap the idea. I was just digging the idea of having a fixed stock on this particular carbine.

I was looking at kits containing the buffer tube, spring, and buffer, but they are a bit more money than I want to spend.
    I was going to post a WTB add in the classifieds hoping someone has one laying around, but I think I should determine if what I want to do is even advisable first.
    I called to check my ZIP CODE!....DY-NO-MITE!!!

Default Re: Rifle Length Buffer Tubes - School Me

The A1 stock set up should work fine with a carbine length gas system, and you will require a rifle length buffer. If you had some cycling issues you could take a few weights out of the buffer itself to lighten the load but it shouldn't be an issue.

The Colt 6520 came in different configurations one being a carbine gas system with an A2 stock set up back in the late 90's.
    Last edited by Hodgie; June 23rd, 2020 at 12:54 AM.

(Allegheny County)

Good to know. Thanks.

I was looking around, pricing the parts, and saw a disclaimer about reliability with carbines, so that's why I asked.

As usual, this is one of those things where I can't find all the items - for a good price - from ONE vendor.
    Brownell's has the top screw with the hole, but only two rifle buffer kits - and they seem a bit high in price. (and sold out)
    Other vendors have very affordable tubes, but no screw. Ugh - ordering "just a screw" will end up costing $15. (not happening)

I've had this used A1 stock since last year when it was generously donated to me. I want to put it to use, but if it's going to cost $60 just to make it work, it will have to wait.

I had the same issue trying to source all the parts my brother needed to complete a 9mm CMMG Banshee build. I was able to get it all between AIM and DSA. Then a week later after ordered he gets a email from CMMG saying the in stock upper is now back ordered and there’s a 10-15 week wait.

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by Emptymag View Post
    Good to know. Thanks.

I was looking around, pricing the parts, and saw a disclaimer about reliability with carbines, so that's why I asked.

As usual, this is one of those things where I can't find all the items - for a good price - from ONE vendor.
    Brownell's has the top screw with the hole, but only two rifle buffer kits - and they seem a bit high in price. (and sold out)
    Other vendors have very affordable tubes, but no screw. Ugh - ordering "just a screw" will end up costing $15. (not happening)

I've had this used A1 stock since last year when it was generously donated to me. I want to put it to use, but if it's going to cost $60 just to make it work, it will have to wait.
    You can save yourself around 10$ from GunBroker. Can't speak to the quality. But i searched "a1 buffer kit".

-Zach

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by zachomega View Post
    You can save yourself around 10$ from GunBroker. Can't speak to the quality. But i searched "a1 buffer kit".

-Zach
    https://www.midwayusa.com/product/10...mpaign=process

Funny. This just came to my email. Wait for a free shipping promotion and you get an A2 stock too.

-Zach

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by zachomega View Post
    https://www.midwayusa.com/product/10...mpaign=process

Funny. This just came to my email. Wait for a free shipping promotion and you get an A2 stock too.

-Zach
    Right tube. Wrong pew - I mean screw. (the Gunbroker idea was a good one though - I only think of GB for "guns")

Otherwise, that would have been a good idea - get what I need and sell the unneeded stock for a couple of bucks.
    The A2 stock is longer than the A1 - the A2 uses a buffer spacer and a longer top screw (to reach through the spacer and screw into the back of the buffer tube) as seen in this pic of the A2 parts.

(Allegheny County)

Are AR15 and AR10 (308) rifle buffer tubes the exact same thing?

I see listings for each separately, but I've seen a few that show as "AR15/308".