Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Anyone take a Vickers training class?

Looking for any personal feedback on training from Larry Vickers? It seems that very few reputable trainers come through this area except for him and I was thinking about taking his pistol and carbine 1 course.

If anyone has other recommendations of good schools in PA feel free to put them up.

Thanks in advance.

(Allegheny County)

Default Re: Anyone take a Vickers training class?

Yes, in 2016 I flew out to Bellevue WA and took his 1 Day Advanced Pistol Marksmanship class. I combined the class with a visit to my folks who still live in the Pac NW. The class was good, an old friend of mine who lives out there took the class too so that was cool, hadn't seen him in a while.

Larry is a squared away guy and can shoot - he demoed all the drills. The class had some pretty good shooters in it. It was a full day of different handgun drills. We shot at West Coast Armory, a very nice indoor range.

I've been lucky, over the last 35 years I have had the chance to train with some of the top instructors in the US, right now their are lots of good ones, you just kind of have to decide on who you want to train with and what you want to train. I've also been lucky, my wife has been involved in the firearms training stuff too, so for us taking a "vacation" to go to a shooting school or class has never been an issue.
    Tomorrow's battle is won during today's practice.

Thanks for the feedback, It's a two day class which is a lot and due to some of my physical limitations I am unsure if it's something I should do or not. I might send an e-mail to him or the training company explaining my situation better and see what they say.

Any recommendations on any good schools within PA?

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by Hodgie View Post
    Any recommendations on any good schools within PA?
    No "schools" in PA that I have trained at, in PA I have trained with instructors that have been brought out and sponsored by different groups or organizations. Its just a matter of catching up with the one you want to train with when they are out here. It might be a little harder right now with the current Chi Com Flu stuff going on though.

I can recommend TDI in West Union, Ohio. Its been a while since I was there, I liked the facility and the instructors were squared away. They have been in business for some time. Another option - a bit of a road trip though, is the SIGARMS Academy. I was up in the NE and visited the facility (not for a class though) - impressive, they offer lots of different classes. I tried to get a buddy to go up there with me a few years back but couldn't arraign it.

"I might send an e-mail to him"
    That would be a real good idea, a few years back my wife and I were looking at taking a class and we contacted the instructor for some specifics, she had just recovered from an arm surgery and wanted to know some specifics about the class.

Good luck on your decision.

Quote Originally Posted by Orive 8 View Post
    No "schools" in PA that I have trained at, in PA I have trained with instructors that have been brought out and sponsored by different groups or organizations. Its just a matter of catching up with the one you want to train with when they are out here. It might be a little harder right now with the current Chi Com Flu stuff going on though.

I can recommend TDI in West Union, Ohio. Its been a while since I was there, I liked the facility and the instructors were squared away. They have been in business for some time. Another option - a bit of a road trip though, is the SIGARMS Academy. I was up in the NE and visited the facility (not for a class though) - impressive, they offer lots of different classes. I tried to get a buddy to go up there with me a few years back but couldn't arraign it.

"I might send an e-mail to him"
    That would be a real good idea, a few years back my wife and I were looking at taking a class and we contacted the instructor for some specifics, she had just recovered from an arm surgery and wanted to know some specifics about the class.

Good luck on your decision.
    Thanks for your feedback I appreciate it.

(Allegheny County)

One other thing,
    If you check out the Panteao Productions firearms video training site, they have some really good instructors associated with them. Check them out, if there are any you like - see where they are training, might be someplace near bye or close enough for a short road trip.

(Bucks County)

Looking for any personal feedback on training from Larry Vickers? It seems that very few reputable trainers come through this area except for him and I was thinking about taking his pistol and carbine 1 course.

If anyone has other recommendations of good schools in PA feel free to put them up.

Thanks in advance.
    If you're not a beginner, then definitely take a LAV course if it's in your area.

Quote Originally Posted by dgg9 View Post
    If you're not a beginner, then definitely take a LAV course if it's in your area.
    Define beginner?

(Bucks County)

Define beginner?
    Anyone uncomfortable with drawing and firing a handgun, or firing while moving and reloading, on a shooting line with someone 6 ft on your left and right. Ditto, rifle.

ETA: on LAV's training website, he himself is less stringent about pre-requisites. I'd say contact him and ask if in doubt. But definitely adhere to equipment guidelines.
    Last edited by dgg9; June 24th, 2020 at 05:18 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by dgg9 View Post
    Anyone uncomfortable with drawing and firing a handgun, or firing while moving and reloading, on a shooting line with someone 6 ft on your left and right. Ditto, rifle.

ETA: on LAV's training website, he himself is less stringent about pre-requisites. I'd say contact him and ask if in doubt. But definitely adhere to equipment guidelines.
    I have done several handgun comps like USPA and steel challenge. I’m defiantly comfortable with drawing and shooting on the move. The reason why I asked was because everyone’s ideas of prerequisites to training seems to be different. For this class it says basic firearms safety but wouldn’t want to show up and realize his idea of that is LE training or something more.

Thanks for the info.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast