Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    (Montgomery County)

Default Re: Anyone take a Vickers training class?

I took a two day carbine course with him in 2016. The amount of instruction was very light and it was really more like paying to shoot the sh*t with Larry than training. We had awful weather both days so perhaps that had something to do with it, but I wouldn't take another class with him based on my prior experience.

(Washington County)

I took a LAV one day AK class back around 2016 and same as above, instruction was weak and it was like paying to be around him. Weather was also crappy. Hopefully things are different now.

Quote Originally Posted by Hodgie View Post
    Thanks for the feedback, It's a two day class which is a lot and due to some of my physical limitations I am unsure if it's something I should do or not. I might send an e-mail to him or the training company explaining my situation better and see what they say.

Any recommendations on any good schools within PA?
    VIGR Training-Phil Groff. His Open Enrollment classes are typically held at Lebanon County Police Combat Pistol Club in Annville

(Bucks County)

Bringing this back up again, I want to add there was an effort several years ago to have other instructors certified in the “Vickers Method” of instruction. There are quite a few instructors our there that went through this.

Realize that Larry is a great instructor, has a great sense of humor, and his exceptional ability to train people lies in his ability to connect with the student.

I have trained with him as a civilian and what I immediately realized is it is very familiar to anyone that has trained with similar people.

Here in PA is Sights and Trigger, based in the Allentown/ Bethlehem area. Joe is one that certified in the “Vickers Method”, but realize he has a very extensive training background.

Best part about S&T is the smaller class size. He offers new shooter classes, all the way up to the most advanced. Civilians, LEOs, and military members all benefit from the training.

I say all that because even though it seams like there’s a gaggle of ninjas offering training, there truly are absolute phenomenal instructors around. And you don’t have to break the bank or travel across the country.

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by SAPPERJoe View Post
    Bringing this back up again, I want to add there was an effort several years ago to have other instructors certified in the *Vickers Method* of instruction. There are quite a few instructors our there that went through this.
    That's normal for successful trainers. As your in-person training career winds down as you get older, it's lucrative to franchise.

Exclamation Re: Anyone take a Vickers training class?

Quote Originally Posted by SAPPERJoe View Post
    Bringing this back up again, I want to add there was an effort several years ago to have other instructors certified in the “Vickers Method” of instruction. There are quite a few instructors our there that went through this.

Realize that Larry is a great instructor, has a great sense of humor, and his exceptional ability to train people lies in his ability to connect with the student.

I have trained with him as a civilian and what I immediately realized is it is very familiar to anyone that has trained with similar people.

Here in PA is Sights and Trigger, based in the Allentown/ Bethlehem area. Joe is one that certified in the “Vickers Method”, but realize he has a very extensive training background.

Best part about S&T is the smaller class size. He offers new shooter classes, all the way up to the most advanced. Civilians, LEOs, and military members all benefit from the training.

I say all that because even though it seams like there’s a gaggle of ninjas offering training, there truly are absolute phenomenal instructors around. And you don’t have to break the bank or travel across the country.
    I've trained alongside Joe at several of Larry Vickers' classes over the years.

Joe is a good dude and a squared away shooter.

He can teach you the Vickers method for pistol in eastern PA if you can't make an LAV class in person.

People have different opinions of Larry - based on different levels of expectations and experiences.

I will say, from my perspective, Larry Vickers is foundational for all firearms shooting.

Learn how to shoot from him first if you can. His work on trigger control and accuracy nazi persona is good to know - then you have a base to learn from other trainers.

I've met more than a few HSLD guys who have told me that "Larry taught me to shoot."

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12