Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 16
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    On top of a hill, Pennsylvania
    Posts
    9,481
    Rep Power
    21474853

    Default Anyone take a Vickers training class?

    Looking for any personal feedback on training from Larry Vickers? It seems that very few reputable trainers come through this area except for him and I was thinking about taking his pistol and carbine 1 course.

    If anyone has other recommendations of good schools in PA feel free to put them up.

    Thanks in advance.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Collier Twp, Pennsylvania
    (Allegheny County)
    Posts
    950
    Rep Power
    9305753

    Default Re: Anyone take a Vickers training class?

    Yes, in 2016 I flew out to Bellevue WA and took his 1 Day Advanced Pistol Marksmanship class. I combined the class with a visit to my folks who still live in the Pac NW. The class was good, an old friend of mine who lives out there took the class too so that was cool, hadn't seen him in a while.

    Larry is a squared away guy and can shoot - he demoed all the drills. The class had some pretty good shooters in it. It was a full day of different handgun drills. We shot at West Coast Armory, a very nice indoor range.

    I've been lucky, over the last 35 years I have had the chance to train with some of the top instructors in the US, right now their are lots of good ones, you just kind of have to decide on who you want to train with and what you want to train. I've also been lucky, my wife has been involved in the firearms training stuff too, so for us taking a "vacation" to go to a shooting school or class has never been an issue.
    Tomorrow's battle is won during today's practice.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    On top of a hill, Pennsylvania
    Posts
    9,481
    Rep Power
    21474853

    Default Re: Anyone take a Vickers training class?

    Thanks for the feedback, It's a two day class which is a lot and due to some of my physical limitations I am unsure if it's something I should do or not. I might send an e-mail to him or the training company explaining my situation better and see what they say.

    Any recommendations on any good schools within PA?

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Collier Twp, Pennsylvania
    (Allegheny County)
    Posts
    950
    Rep Power
    9305753

    Default Re: Anyone take a Vickers training class?

    Quote Originally Posted by Hodgie View Post
    Any recommendations on any good schools within PA?
    No "schools" in PA that I have trained at, in PA I have trained with instructors that have been brought out and sponsored by different groups or organizations. Its just a matter of catching up with the one you want to train with when they are out here. It might be a little harder right now with the current Chi Com Flu stuff going on though.

    I can recommend TDI in West Union, Ohio. Its been a while since I was there, I liked the facility and the instructors were squared away. They have been in business for some time. Another option - a bit of a road trip though, is the SIGARMS Academy. I was up in the NE and visited the facility (not for a class though) - impressive, they offer lots of different classes. I tried to get a buddy to go up there with me a few years back but couldn't arraign it.


    "I might send an e-mail to him"
    That would be a real good idea, a few years back my wife and I were looking at taking a class and we contacted the instructor for some specifics, she had just recovered from an arm surgery and wanted to know some specifics about the class.

    Good luck on your decision.
    Tomorrow's battle is won during today's practice.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    On top of a hill, Pennsylvania
    Posts
    9,481
    Rep Power
    21474853

    Default Re: Anyone take a Vickers training class?

    Quote Originally Posted by Orive 8 View Post
    No "schools" in PA that I have trained at, in PA I have trained with instructors that have been brought out and sponsored by different groups or organizations. Its just a matter of catching up with the one you want to train with when they are out here. It might be a little harder right now with the current Chi Com Flu stuff going on though.

    I can recommend TDI in West Union, Ohio. Its been a while since I was there, I liked the facility and the instructors were squared away. They have been in business for some time. Another option - a bit of a road trip though, is the SIGARMS Academy. I was up in the NE and visited the facility (not for a class though) - impressive, they offer lots of different classes. I tried to get a buddy to go up there with me a few years back but couldn't arraign it.


    "I might send an e-mail to him"
    That would be a real good idea, a few years back my wife and I were looking at taking a class and we contacted the instructor for some specifics, she had just recovered from an arm surgery and wanted to know some specifics about the class.

    Good luck on your decision.
    Thanks for your feedback I appreciate it.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Collier Twp, Pennsylvania
    (Allegheny County)
    Posts
    950
    Rep Power
    9305753

    Default Re: Anyone take a Vickers training class?

    One other thing,
    If you check out the Panteao Productions firearms video training site, they have some really good instructors associated with them. Check them out, if there are any you like - see where they are training, might be someplace near bye or close enough for a short road trip.
    Tomorrow's battle is won during today's practice.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Newtown, Pennsylvania
    (Bucks County)
    Age
    61
    Posts
    3,009
    Rep Power
    1662872

    Default Re: Anyone take a Vickers training class?

    Quote Originally Posted by Hodgie View Post
    Looking for any personal feedback on training from Larry Vickers? It seems that very few reputable trainers come through this area except for him and I was thinking about taking his pistol and carbine 1 course.

    If anyone has other recommendations of good schools in PA feel free to put them up.

    Thanks in advance.
    If you're not a beginner, then definitely take a LAV course if it's in your area.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    On top of a hill, Pennsylvania
    Posts
    9,481
    Rep Power
    21474853

    Default Re: Anyone take a Vickers training class?

    Quote Originally Posted by dgg9 View Post
    If you're not a beginner, then definitely take a LAV course if it's in your area.
    Define beginner?

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Newtown, Pennsylvania
    (Bucks County)
    Age
    61
    Posts
    3,009
    Rep Power
    1662872

    Default Re: Anyone take a Vickers training class?

    Quote Originally Posted by Hodgie View Post
    Define beginner?
    Anyone uncomfortable with drawing and firing a handgun, or firing while moving and reloading, on a shooting line with someone 6 ft on your left and right. Ditto, rifle.

    ETA: on LAV's training website, he himself is less stringent about pre-requisites. I'd say contact him and ask if in doubt. But definitely adhere to equipment guidelines.
    Last edited by dgg9; June 24th, 2020 at 05:18 PM.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    On top of a hill, Pennsylvania
    Posts
    9,481
    Rep Power
    21474853

    Default Re: Anyone take a Vickers training class?

    Quote Originally Posted by dgg9 View Post
    Anyone uncomfortable with drawing and firing a handgun, or firing while moving and reloading, on a shooting line with someone 6 ft on your left and right. Ditto, rifle.

    ETA: on LAV's training website, he himself is less stringent about pre-requisites. I'd say contact him and ask if in doubt. But definitely adhere to equipment guidelines.
    I have done several handgun comps like USPA and steel challenge. I’m defiantly comfortable with drawing and shooting on the move. The reason why I asked was because everyone’s ideas of prerequisites to training seems to be different. For this class it says basic firearms safety but wouldn’t want to show up and realize his idea of that is LE training or something more.

    Thanks for the info.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Vickers Shooting Method Basic Pistol Class
    By wlptpd3 in forum Training Courses
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: September 18th, 2012, 01:23 PM
  2. Vickers Tactical 2 Day Handgun Class
    By 30 cal slut in forum Training Courses
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: August 12th, 2010, 08:21 PM
  3. Larry Vickers AK Class at PMSC
    By Mtbkski in forum Training, Tactics & Competition
    Replies: 34
    Last Post: May 17th, 2010, 06:35 PM
  4. Larry Vickers AK Operators Class! May 1-2 2010
    By d90king in forum Training, Tactics & Competition
    Replies: 20
    Last Post: May 14th, 2010, 07:52 PM
  5. Replies: 9
    Last Post: December 5th, 2009, 02:39 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •