Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Beaver County)

Default Allegheny vs Beaver county

I’m thinking about moving to PA from NY. What are the rules regarding firearm shooting on property. How many acres, or distance from buildings requirements for a home range. Thanks.

Default Re: Allegheny vs Beaver county

Quote Originally Posted by Wowzer View Post
    I*m thinking about moving to PA from NY. What are the rules regarding firearm shooting on property. How many acres, or distance from buildings requirements for a home range. Thanks.
    https://www.pennlago.com/target-prac...-own-property/

(Beaver County)

Thank you.

So if I have property that is at least 150 yards from the nearest neighbor*s building, have a backstop within 15 yards, and that backstop accounts for 45 degree deflection on each side, then I can shoot year round?

Interestingly, the statue doesn*t seem to account for shotguns and shooting upwards at clays.

(Washington County)

Do you need to be near downtown Pittsburgh? Allegheny county is fairly populated. Beaver less so. The further from Pittsburgh you go the better chance of finding property. If I didn't need to be near Pittsburgh there are many other places in Pa. I'd consider. Honestly, I'd consider West Virginia at this point. I grew-up close to WV border with Pa.

(Allegheny County)

You need to check local ordinances. In many cases they prohibit discharge of firearms within the municipality.
    Let me help you out. Which way did you come in?

I would avoid Allegheny County for a variety of reasons. Look at Westmoreland County if it can work for you.

(Jefferson County)

Quote Originally Posted by Wowzer View Post
    Thank you.

So if I have property that is at least 150 yards from the nearest neighbor*s building, have a backstop within 15 yards, and that backstop accounts for 45 degree deflection on each side, then I can shoot year round?

Interestingly, the statue doesn*t seem to account for shotguns and shooting upwards at clays.
    Those state laws listed at that link really don't apply, except at hunting camps, in the course of hunting, and/or on state owned properties.

What is of bigger concern is common sense and local laws.

Except the northern and western portions of Allegheny county, the county is pretty much urban. ...bad for recreational shooting.

Beaver has a higher potential for rural lands that would allow for recreational shooting.

Another thing to keep in mind are potential neighbors for the noise from shooting. We don't like it when anti-gunners move to rural areas then complain about folks target shooting. So in all fairness, it wouldn't be right to move into a "quiet" semi-rural place and start banging away.

I'd scout the regions and look for backyard shooting ranges - if you see some, you know you'll be in good company. ...have the old lady drive and you ride shotgun, looking beyond the houses.
    RIP: SFN, 1861, twoeggsup, Lambo, jamesjo, JayBell, 32 Magnum, Pro2A, mrwildroot, dregan, Frenchy, Fragger, ungawa, Mtn Jack, Grapeshot, R.W.J., PennsyPlinker, Statkowski, Deanimator, roland, aubie515

Don't end up in my signature!

(Beaver County)

I would use suppressors to limit the noise. Beaver county is most likely the county (although washington is not out of the question). I may have a job in Steubenville, OH and am looking at possibilities. Of course, I would be interested in joining a club...but since I'm moving, a range would be an interesting possibility.

WV and Ohio may not be possible, as my kids may be going to Penn State...so tuition may be a big expense.

My other requirement is to have high speed internet. Beaver and Washington seems to have limited areas with high speed internet.