Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Bucks County)

Default Wheeler Professional Reticle Leveling System quick review

I've got nothing else going on today so i decided to mount my Leupold VX-1 3-9 on my Ruger American Rimfire (not the 22 wmr that i have in the classifieds - see that plug there?).

Previously, I had mounted Warne steel Weaver bases and had a set of Warne medium height quick release bases from an abandoned project. I followed the base instructions set everything up and used the reticle leveling system mostly as per the instructions.

No more second guessing if it is perfectly level. Not that i was doing much today, but I do like to value my time. The barrel level and the scope level reference off of each other so it is perfect every time. The barrel level is very easily adjusted. It clamps on and has a fine adjust thumb screw.

I used a bipod to stabilize the rifle.

My only complaint with everything today had nothing to do with the leveling system and had to do with having the scope pulled bag as far as it could go to get a good sight picture. I'm sure this is all due to bolt position etc.

This definitely shaved a lot of time off of an otherwise tedious back and forth process.

I'll definitely be using it again in the near future when i mount a Burris 4-12 on an AR build and remount (because now i can make it perfect) a fixed 10x Bushnell on another AR.

Assuming the levels don't drain out over time, this tool will pay for itself very quickly.

This tool gets a thumbs up.

-Zach

(Bucks County)

Default Re: Wheeler Professional Reticle Leveling System quick review

I see in the ad description that a turret cap can be used to rotationally adjust the scope. Beware of that suggestion. I have found turrets off a few degrees.
    There are two kinds of guns. Those I have acquired, and those I hope to.

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by Bang View Post
    I see in the ad description that a turret cap can be used to rotationally adjust the scope. Beware of that suggestion. I have found turrets off a few degrees.
    Good point!

In a perfect world, they won't be. But i realize, these things are hand assembled and alignment isn't guaranteed. It certainly does get me close enough.

If that sort of perfection is required, i figure i could level the rifle using the reference off of the table and line the crosshair up with a leveled line drawn on a piece of poster board hung on the wall straight ahead.

It sounds way more complex than it actually is.

-Zach

(Bucks County)

I take a three-dimensional box lid having edges of approximately 1 inch depth and draw a line forming a 45 degree from one corner. I set the butt onto the lid, aligning it on the line with the butt up into the corner. I then shine a flashlight into the objective and cast the image of the reticle onto the lid. I then align the vertical of the reticle with the line drawn on the lid. Fast, easy, accurate. And CHEAP
    There are two kinds of guns. Those I have acquired, and those I hope to.

(Berks County)

I use a collimator with grid to level crosshairs and bore sight. Check grid for top dead center. Make reticule level with grid.

I never heard of levels leaking. I have antique wooden levels that are fine.
    The Gun is the Badge of a Free Man

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by Gunsnwater View Post
    I never heard of levels leaking. I have antique wooden levels that are fine.
    Sounds like you have never shopped at harbor freight then.

-Zach