Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: PA Knife Laws

Default Re: PA Knife Laws

Quote Originally Posted by Gman106 View Post
    The way the statute is written, it seems any assisted opening mechanism is prohibited, meaning a spring-assisted opening is prohibited, not just a switch-blade. Just to be clear of this, I opted for a simple thumb stud model which I can open one-handed pretty easily...

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0073H2P2O/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o05_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1&p ldnSite=1

I've heard knives with thumb-stubs are explicitly banned by some local ordinances. Thus the problem.
    I don't speak English , I talk American!

(Chester County)

I've been carrying a knife since 6th grade and will stab, cut, slash anyone that physically attacks me if I run run out of ammo. I'll carry one of my gigantic Boo Wee knives if I think I'm going to need it. PA law does not state daggers are illegal to carry. Assisted opening are legal in PA state law local laws and police may differ. Why would you go to Philadelphia?

§ 908. Prohibited offensive weapons.
    Any dagger, knife, razor or cutting instrument, the blade of which is exposed in an automatic way by switch, push-button, spring mechanism, or otherwise, . . . or other implement for the infliction of serious bodily injury which serves no common lawful purpose.

https://knifeup.com/pennsylvania-knife-laws/
    Last edited by JenniferG; June 21st, 2020 at 03:28 PM.
    Corruption is the default behavior of government officials. JPC

(Wayne County)

Quote Originally Posted by God's Country View Post
    I didn't neglect it. I always understood the curio exemption to be the responsibility of the owner to prove and as such, perilous at best, much less carrying one for protection.
    But, that is the whole point. If isn't the responsibility of the knife carrier to prove their innocence. It is the responsibility of the State to prove that a crime has been committed beyond a "reasonable doubt" (which is why I bring up the de minimus thing).

18 Section 908 is so damn poorly written (in a perpetjal runon sentence that is poorly punctuated to separate the primary clause from the subordinate), that it is unclear to ANYONE reading it whether daggers are unlawful, whether daggers exposed in a mechanical way, or ALL KNIVES exposed OTHERWISE (e.g., any knife seen or possessed in any manner, regardless of mechanism of delivery), are prohibited offensive weapons. It is completely immune to a plain text interpretation (and I believe intentionally so). As such, the case law referenced in my AKTI link should be in play.

Similarly, with regard to automatics, since there is no definition of what constitutes a "curio" under the statute, there is really no way to affirmatively demonstrate that an automatic isn't possessed as a "curio". The auto that I carry is a Gerber 06 auto in multicam. The multicam was developed to match the current Army issue clothing. Before that, 06s were issued by the thousands to military members. So many, in fact, that Gerber issued a higher quality 10th anniversary edition. As such, the 06s are definitely located squarely in the realm of "keepsake" or "rememberance", which should fit even the most strict interpretation of "curio". But, as it is not defined in Title 18, my definition is as viable as the next.
    Sed ego sum homo indomitus

(Berks County)

It would be great if we could preempt local knife laws. 2A covers knives too. Maybe we could get the state law updated too so that any knife is lawful to own and carry, unless used in a crime. Put some teeth in the preemption too.

Seems like this should be a no brainer and would be supported by a majority of the legislature. Guess Wolf would veto though.

(Jefferson County)

Quote Originally Posted by ExFlyinguy View Post
    That explains that. I think PA knife laws rival CA gun laws in stupidity
    Try Florida for that.. You need a permit to carry a knife with a blade over 4" in length. Even folding knives under 4" that don't resemble a "common pocket knife" will require a permit.

PA law pretty much only prohibits switchblades and other bladed weapons that have no lawful purpose. You could legally carry a Bowie knife in PA, sans any local laws on the matter.
    RIP: SFN, 1861, twoeggsup, Lambo, jamesjo, JayBell, 32 Magnum, Pro2A, mrwildroot, dregan, Frenchy, Fragger, ungawa, Mtn Jack, Grapeshot, R.W.J., PennsyPlinker, Statkowski, Deanimator, roland, aubie515

Don't end up in my signature!

(Bucks County)

Is it illegal to keep a credit card in your pocket with one edge sharpened like a razor? Asking for a friend.
    It is difficult to free fools from the chains they revere. Voltaire

(Wayne County)

Quote Originally Posted by knight0334 View Post
    Try Florida for that.. You need a permit to carry a knife with a blade over 4" in length. Even folding knives under 4" that don't resemble a "common pocket knife" will require a permit.

PA law pretty much only prohibits switchblades and other bladed weapons that have no lawful purpose. You could legally carry a Bowie knife in PA, sans any local laws on the matter.
    For the sake of argument, I will concede that automatic stilletos are designed to be more "stabby" than "slicey". (Although, I haven't yet tried one out for my lawful purpose project.). But, having said that, how does a Buck 110 automatic differ in function and utility (other than faster, one hand opening) from your standard Buck 110 (which is so abundant and "lawfully common" that, if you asked a random person off of the street to draw a large pocket knife, it would likely be a 110). I realize that I'm lreaching to the choir, but the difference is insubstantial and cosmetic, and any lawyer who couldn't successfully argue that shouldn't be a trial attorney.

There are so many knives on the market that have both auto and standard versions that the argument is further supported, ad nauseum.
    Sed ego sum homo indomitus

(Westmoreland County)

Quote Originally Posted by knight0334 View Post

I come from FL, which is why I posed my original question to start the thread...

(Philadelphia County)

A few years ago I was visiting friends in Ft.Lauderdale,we went to a flea market one day and I spotted a beautiful switchblade on a vendor's table.I was tempted to purchase and bring it back but after mulling it over I passed on it.
    There are no pacts between lions and men.

(Jefferson County)

Quote Originally Posted by DeltaCharlie View Post
    I come from FL, which is why I posed my original question to start the thread...
    PA, unlike FL, doesn't require a permit. However local laws could prohibit or regulate carrying here in PA.

Then you need to mind the Prohibited Offensive Weapons aspect. ...no automatic opening knives - period. You can own automatic knives as curios, but leave them at home as display pieces.

I would also stay away from non-typical knives too. There was a guy in the past few years that got convicted for carrying a dagger type knife where the blade came out from the handle between middle and ring fingers. Another guy got convicted of carrying a battle-axe.
    RIP: SFN, 1861, twoeggsup, Lambo, jamesjo, JayBell, 32 Magnum, Pro2A, mrwildroot, dregan, Frenchy, Fragger, ungawa, Mtn Jack, Grapeshot, R.W.J., PennsyPlinker, Statkowski, Deanimator, roland, aubie515

Don't end up in my signature!

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123