Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Montgomery County)

Default CZ50 - New firing pin seems sticky

I picked up a CZ50 a little while back online. Unfortunately I didn’t notice until much afterward that the firing pin was broken. My fault for not taking a closer look when I cleaned it after I got it. A couple months ago I happened to be taking that closer look and noticed the problem. I wind up collecting more than shooting so I hadn’t even tried it out yet.

I finally got around to ordering a replacement and just put it in. It went right in but the back and forth movement of it seems a little rough and sticky. I checked some of my other handguns (CZ82, Beretta 81) just for comparison purposes and I can push on the back of the firing pins on those with a small dowel easily, smooth motion in and out. I tried lubricating the pin and plunger/spring that holds it in which is what it seems to ride against. Marginally better but not great.

When I dry fire I can see the firing pin reset most of the time but some of the time it seems to stay stuck in the forward position until I dry fire again. Anyone else ever experience anything like this or have any tips for me?

(Bucks County)

Default Re: CZ50 - New firing pin seems sticky

Sounds like you need to clean the firing pin channel. Surplus firearms are often filled with cosmoline and crud. Get some solvent, Q tips, and pipe cleaners and start scrubbing. If it is still binding you might have to fit the firing pin some.

And NEVER dry fire it. That is probably why the first firing pin broke. I don't have a CZ-50 but it is a known problem with other older CZ firearms. I broke one in a CZ-52 before there were warning about this.

(Montgomery County)

I actually did clean the channel when I was replacing the pin. Maybe not good enough? It didn*t seem that dirty to be honest. Maybe I*ll hit it again though. I knew about not dry firing the CZ52. I have one of those too. Didn*t realize it about the CZ50. I have snap caps for most of my calibers but since .32 acp is a newer one for me I don*t have any for that.

I*m actually wondering if the firing pin retaining pin on the spring (not sure if that*s what it*s actually called) is contributing to the problem and I was thinking I should have bought a new one of those too. It moves up and down freely and smoothly but maybe the face of it that meets the firing pin is bad or scored. Maybe I*ll try polishing it.

(Bucks County)

Suggest trying to determine the ID of the channel and the OD of the pin. Or try the pin in the opposite direction (push it into the face) and check for lateral freedom. It sounds like the pin is slightly tapered and is wedging. Can you chuck it in a drill and reduce the diameter a few tenths with a piece of wet or dry, or a fine stone? Do you have a micrometer or vernier?
    There are two kinds of guns. Those I have acquired, and those I hope to.

(Montgomery County)

I have a caliper but I don*t think it*s a problem with the channel or the diameter of the firing pin. The firing pin is not round anyway. It*s more like half round and the other side is kind of convex but has two sides. Think of an obtuse triangle but the long side is a rounded half circle. BFD308AE-61D6-4614-A23E-349A4B01D796.jpeg

Regardless, I think it is a problem with the firing pin lock. The firing pin moves freely in the channel with the lock out and no spring tension on it. The lock looked a little rough on the edges and the face where the pin rides against it, possibly from when the pin originally broke, and a little worn. I filed it down gently and then used a high grit sandpaper, like 1000 grit and it seems to have helped. I*m still thinking about getting a new firing pin lock. $10 shipped from Gun Parts Warehouse. I probably should have just ordered it when I ordered the firing pin.

(Bucks County)

Sounds logical. If what you did caused improvement, you're on the right track. Hope it works out for you.

(Bucks County)

That pin looks similar to the model 52 pin I replaced. I had to fit the pin by filing the angled area at the rear of the pin where the lock rubbed. My replacement pin would not even fit without a good bit of fitting. Then I polished the contact points on the pin and lock with a Dremel and jewelers rouge. I don't think a new firing pin lock will help.

You need to be very careful doing this so you don't mess it up. Make sure you understand how the pin and lock work together and go slow. One tip is to use a dry erase marker to blacken the contact points then put it back together. When you take it back apart you can see where the lock rubbed.

(Bucks County)

Was the firing pin problem resolved?

(Montgomery County)

After I played with it for a little while it seems to be better. I won*t know until I get a chance to shoot it.