Thread: Ammo craziness

(Berks County)

Default Re: Ammo craziness

Yeah I get that I*m just curious as to what the spread is here
    Gunowner99 - NRA Benefactor Life Member

Stone's throw from Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
    (Butler County)

Load-bearing capacity of flooring. Reinforcements are allowed.

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by Gunowner99 View Post
    Yeah I get that I*m just curious as to what the spread is here
    I want my grandchildren still shooting my supply with ammo to spare.
    I want someone looking at my ammo at a gun show in a 100 years and posting questions about the antiquated markings.
    How can you have any cookies if you don't drink your milk?

(Berks County)

much clearer now.
    Gunowner99 - NRA Benefactor Life Member

(Tioga County)

Quote Originally Posted by scruff View Post
    If anybody is hoarding, it should be us.

After Sandy Hook, I realized that I hoovered up way too much .22. Then I started selling it off to people who needed some. Then after 6 or 8 months with no end in sight, I said "what, am I crazy?" and stopped selling. Now I still have too much, and I'm starting to sell and trade to friends.
    I was just laughing my ass off back then at all these people buying massive quantities of 22LR, never made any sense.

I was a prolific smallbore rifle competitor, used to shoot 2-3 hours a day 5 days a week, over two dozen matches a year and I think I calculated I shot 20K rounds a year. How people thought they were ever going to use hundreds of thousands, tens of thousands of rounds was a hoot. My smallbore competition was basically another job and your average recreational shooter is not shooting 15 hours a week, week in week out.

(Lancaster County)

Quote Originally Posted by wanneroo View Post
    I was just laughing my ass off back then at all these people buying massive quantities of 22LR, never made any sense.

I was a prolific smallbore rifle competitor, used to shoot 2-3 hours a day 5 days a week, over two dozen matches a year and I think I calculated I shot 20K rounds a year. How people thought they were ever going to use hundreds of thousands, tens of thousands of rounds was a hoot. My smallbore competition was basically another job and your average recreational shooter is not shooting 15 hours a week, week in week out.
    It was never about them using it, it was about profiting on the secondary market.
    Rules are written in the stone,
    Break the rules and you get no bones,
    all you get is ridicule, laughter,
    and a trip to the house of pain.

But how much is really too much? Let*s just say that for every caliber gun that I have I have 5000 rounds on hand. 22LR 50,000

Is that too much? Too little? What*s the line?
    I have been trying to quantitatively answer that question for years. The problem is there are multiple qualitative factors that make coming up with a clear yes/no answer extremely difficult.
    I can track, with enough accuracy, the in and out flow of ammo, and even run projections based on the data collected, but what I can't do is accurately predict the future.
    Several months back during my analysis before christmas, I came to the conclusion that 4+ years worth of ammo for each caliber, based on past projections, was the best I could do as a personal answer.

Also, 50,000 rounds of .22LR is about 100 range trips for me and the kid. so, maybe 3 years supply? possibly less if we both decide to really pour on the shooting.
    I use .22LR pistols a lot to get in a bunch of gun handling drills and reps, and spend 1/4 or less on ammo for the same round count.
    Last edited by sota; June 30th, 2020 at 11:41 AM.
    Member: NJ "undocumented" Felons Club. NRA Life Member

(Tioga County)

But how much is really too much? Let*s just say that for every caliber gun that I have I have 5000 rounds on hand. 22LR 50,000

Is that too much? Too little? What*s the line?
    I think it depends what your needs are for ammo and also what your finances and resources situation are. A guy that goes deer hunting a few days a year that's it is going to be different from people that compete on a regular basis. Also I remember people after Sandy Hook buying up any ammo they could at inflated prices when they were in debt or were barely scrapping by financially.

In a hypothetical situation where the leftist antifa goons manage to trigger societal breakdown and the boogie, if a serious gun fight comes to your neighborhood with overwhelming force, how long will most people last based on their physical fitness and ability? Maybe 5-10 minutes, maybe a combat load of ammo? Maybe if it's prolonged and they win, the commies come back and maybe another combat load again?

I had this conversation with myself where I reached a point I could refill my magazines many times over, also reload all my spent brass at least once(assuming I would have the time to do so as the boogie consumes the USA) and realized I was better off investing now in a set of weights and getting back to riding my mountain bike. Or spending money on medical supplies, training, body armor, night optics, etc.

(Delaware County)

There are those who count their ammo in rounds...the rest of us count it by the ton...

(Chester County)

Quote Originally Posted by RenoV8 View Post
    There are those who count their ammo in rounds...the rest of us count it by the ton...
    ...and then there are others who practice fire discipline and know how to shoot.

Page 10 of 13 FirstFirst ... 678910111213 LastLast