Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Delaware County)

Default I'm all in on Glock because I'm left-handed: Change my mind

In pistols, I own a Glock 19, 26 and 43, obviously all chambered in 9mm to save on switching through ammo. I honestly don't know much about other handguns because as a left-hander, I can switch the mag release over to the right side and then the Glock is pretty much ambidextrous, so other than M9's in the military, I've always gone Glock. If there's anything out there that can beat it (in 9mm platform) for a lefty and is anywhere approaching Glock's renown for reliability, I'm all ears, thanks.

Last edited by Gman106; June 19th, 2020 at 12:51 AM.
    "Everyone is entitled to my opinion." - Gman106
    "Everyone has a plan till they get punched in the face." - Mike Tyson
    "Get the hell out of my way." - John Galt

(Cumberland County)

Default Re: I'm all in on Glock because I'm left-handed: Change my mind

Aaah a fellow lefty, got my first Glock in the late 80,s. Still have it and many more. Gens 2 3 4 and 5 reside on my shelf. All calibers except 357 sig and 45 gap are represented. Taught myself to run with a gen 2 left handed and been doing so for so long I don*t swap mag releases over even when I can. Glock is a ideal choice for lefty shooters and overall reputation is hard to beat. The platform is simple, rugged, reliable, affordable Also has a large aftermarket support base. These are all traits I look for in a handgun. Sorry I*m not gonna talk you out of them. I*m gonna congratulate you on a fine choice. Keep on southpawing and get a few more in other calibers. They are all fun.

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by red dog View Post
    Aaah a fellow lefty, got my first Glock in the late 80,s. Still have it and many more. Gens 2 3 4 and 5 reside on my shelf. All calibers except 357 sig and 45 gap are represented. Taught myself to run with a gen 2 left handed and been doing so for so long I don*t swap mag releases over even when I can. Glock is a ideal choice for lefty shooters and overall reputation is hard to beat. The platform is simple, rugged, reliable, affordable Also has a large aftermarket support base. These are all traits I look for in a handgun. Sorry I*m not gonna talk you out of them. I*m gonna congratulate you on a fine choice. Keep on southpawing and get a few more in other calibers. They are all fun.
    That's why I carry g27, a lot of police & military use them and I didn't hear of any complaints.. Never thought I'd own a plastic gun.. A holster is easily acquired for glocks being common , that was the main reason for my choice. I like the off the self desantis mini-scabbard, nice, small but no retention other than the sides of the holster which works well, I never open carry and with Both knees replaced and 60+ years old, I'm not running anywhere...
    Last edited by 51158; June 19th, 2020 at 07:18 AM.
    If You Need A Color In The Name Of Your Cause, You're The "RACIST" !

(Allegheny County)

All of the newer HKs are more ambidextrous. Ambi slide stops, truly ambi mag releases (don't need to swap, can hit it either side same way, helpful for shooting off hand), ambi safety if you want it.

Walther PPQ M1 is the same way (PPQ M2 you need to swap the button).

My FNX45 Tactical is same way, and has the button if you prefer that over paddles (I do not, paddle is superior). I would imagine most FNs are the same.

(Elk County)

No argument from me.

Many rooms in the house, each vehicle, my wife's purse, my briefcase, and my right hip are all loaded with a G19.

Noah
    Wisdom and knowledge shall be the stability of thy times.

(Mercer County)

I am ambidextrous, I EDC from either the left or right side and still own just one Glock (Model 29) which I sometimes carry. My carry firearms are 1911 pattern set up with ambi safeties, etc.
    The oracle is in. Age and treachery will always overcome youth and skill!!

(Montgomery County)

First off - if it works, no reason to switch. Glocks have the advantage of working well and are the kings of aftermarket accessories, replacement part availability and holsters.

Being a lefty as well I've learned to adapt. I use my trigger finger to drop mags and I slingshot the slide to reload. I can use any gun that isn't a left-side only manual safety.

I will always keep my mag releases on the standard side because I have guns that can't be switched and I've aligned to this technique.

The PPQ M1 is near the top of the best lefty gun list. Trigger finger paddle mag release and large ambi slide release. The APX and P320 are also nice with their ambi slide releases (gen 5 Glock too). But for the most part I just stick to slingshoting the slide or coming over top.

Quote Originally Posted by jthrelf View Post
    First off - if it works, no reason to switch. Glocks have the advantage of working well and are the kings of aftermarket accessories, replacement part availability and holsters.

Being a lefty as well I've learned to adapt. I use my trigger finger to drop mags and I slingshot the slide to reload. I can use any gun that isn't a left-side only manual safety.

I will always keep my mag releases on the standard side because I have guns that can't be switched and I've aligned to this technique.

The PPQ M1 is near the top of the best lefty gun list. Trigger finger paddle mag release and large ambi slide release. The APX and P320 are also nice with their ambi slide releases (gen 5 Glock too). But for the most part I just stick to slingshoting the slide or coming over top.
    I*ve switched the mag release on Glock to the opposite site and found I am more comfortable with it set up for a righty because that*s the way I always trained and what my muscle memory is use to.

The only time I ever had trouble with a mag release that was set up for a righty was a p938. Nice gun but it had a habit of releasing the mag when I shot because of the way I held the gun. It had a sensitive mag release.

Long story short, I keep my glocks set up the way they came because that*s what my muscle memory is use to.

The only ambidextrous feature I want on a gun (if it has one in the first place) is the safety. Everything else can stay right where it is because it's easier to access being left handed. This is not unique to Glocks.

I would argue that *most* handguns are lefty friendly without modification. I use my trigger finger to release the mag - no need to shift my grip like a righty does to hit the release with their thumb. Same for the slide release, though I almost always slingshot the slide. My SIG P239, P226, P227, and SP2022 all have decocker levers on the left side of the gun. All are easily activated with the trigger finger on my left hand without a grip shift. Not so for my wife who is right handed.

Handguns with a manual left side safety can be problematic, but not impossible to use. I shot a plain-Jane M1911 Gov't model in IPSC for many years. I got used to activating the left-side safety with my left thumb. I owned an H&K USP that only had a left side safety. I bought it that way with the intent of converting it to an ambi-safety, but then realized that it was impossible to find a parts kit at the time. Still, I shot many matches with that gun; and I used my left thumb to work the safety.

Oh so close to the Delaware River!, New Jersey

Yep. My brother has had a few over the years for those reasoms. Even some of us right-handed folk like them too!! ;-)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast