Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Dauphin County)

Default Ruger Blackhawk Owners- question

Last year I bought a brand new Ruger Bisley Super Blackhawk that was less than nice from the factory. The front sight was so canted I couldn't believe it made it from the factory. Anyway, I got that fixed(after 2 trips to Ruger) and it shoots fine. Question though...today after cleaning I noticed I can partially open the loading gate when the hammer is cocked. It opens enough to spin the cylinder but not load/unload. Is this normal? Anyone own one who can check?

(Bucks County)

Default Re: Ruger Blackhawk Owners- question

Quote Originally Posted by Whiterook View Post
    Last year I bought a brand new Ruger Bisley Super Blackhawk that was less than nice from the factory. The front sight was so canted I couldn't believe it made it from the factory. Anyway, I got that fixed(after 2 trips to Ruger) and it shoots fine. Question though...today after cleaning I noticed I can partially open the loading gate when the hammer is cocked. It opens enough to spin the cylinder but not load/unload. Is this normal? Anyone own one who can check?
    Unload it, BE CERTAIN, then check for lint in the mechanism. I almost shot my daughter a few years ago with a Blackhawk that was fouled with lint.

(Lancaster County)

Id say it still has issues, my standard .41 mag Blackhawk mfg in 1981, when in full cocked the loading gate only moves about 1/32" and the cylinder stays locked up tight. had a super .44 with the 10.5" barrel years ago, that was a real hoot to shoot

(Dauphin County)

Quote Originally Posted by SgtRecon View Post
    Id say it still has issues, my standard .41 mag Blackhawk mfg in 1981, when in full cocked the loading gate only moves about 1/32" and the cylinder stays locked up tight. had a super .44 with the 10.5" barrel years ago, that was a real hoot to shoot
    Interesting. Thanks. This thing has been incredibly disappointing. I emailed Ruger.

I've owned new model Ruger Blackhawks & Single Sixes for over 40yrs and have never even thought of trying to open the loading gate while one was loaded and hammer was cocked.

However , I did go thru the safe and pulled a half-dozen Blackhawks out and tried it. As you may know , the loading gate on a new model does interface with the lockworks and when opened , frees the cylinder to spin when hammer is down , which an old model or traditional SAA does not. Making sure they were UNLOADED the gates did open approx. 1/8-1/4.
    I don't speak English , I talk American!

(Clearfield County)

Just checked my 80's era .45lc, opens about 1/8" and the cylinder does not move.

(Bucks County)

Not a Super Blackhawk, just a late model Blackhawk in .30 Carbine, so may be different. At full cock I can open the gate .206" and cannot budge the cylinder.
    There are two kinds of guns. Those I have acquired, and those I hope to.

Quote Originally Posted by Bang View Post
    Not a Super Blackhawk, just a late model Blackhawk in .30 Carbine, so may be different. At full cock I can open the gate .206" and cannot budge the cylinder.

Since 1972 , New Model Blackhawks and Super Blackhawks use the same frame regardless of caliber. SBH has a non-fluted cylinder and larger steel grip frame. The .32s use the .22 Single Six frame , and Ruger has reintroduced their original mid-size Blackhawk frame in .44 Special.
    I don't speak English , I talk American!

My 10.5" silhouette SBH partially opens the same as others mentioned above. It does not unlock or even remotely effect the cylinder when attempted. (Per SgtRecon above...............it is a hoot to shoot!!!
    Engineers make things idiot proof! Evolution makes better idiots!

(Washington County)

Alright, I checked. My 454 will spin. My 44 won't. I won't worry about it though. It's not something that's going to happen unintentionally. My advice... don't do that.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast