Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Bucks County)

Default Sending out form1 parts kit to be built

I have a parts kit that I'm trying to turn into a sbr. I have the reciever and havent filed for a form 1 yet. The place that's going to do the build for me is in florida and they are a 07ffl / 02 sot. I inquired to them and they said to do the form1 first and then send them reciever and parts kit. How do I go about getting this done? Do I get the form1 then just mail it to them or do I have to contact anyone or ship it from my local ffl?

Default Re: Sending out form1 parts kit to be built

Do an eForm 1 online instead. Much easier and faster.

Here's a step by step guide
    https://www.nationalguntrusts.com/bl...-through-guide
    They also sell the kit to fingerprint yourself so you don't have to deal with going down to the cops to do it.
    AK-47s for EVERYONE!!!

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by Nickel Plated View Post
    Do an eForm 1 online instead. Much easier and faster.

Here's a step by step guide
    https://www.nationalguntrusts.com/bl...-through-guide
    They also sell the kit to fingerprint yourself so you don't have to deal with going down to the cops to do it.
    Yeah I'm all good with doing the efile form 1 I just dont know the legality of sending it to florida ( it wont be together just parts kit and reciever)

(Allegheny County)

I could be very wrong here, but if you're not the person putting it together, then you're not supposed to be doing the Form 1 right? Isn't the maker supposed to do it? If you're having someone else do it, aren't you supposed to Form 3 it from them to your dealer, from which you do a Form 4?

Tagging just to see where this one goes.... there is so much going on here that I dont know the answers to. (Can you form1 something that you dont intend to do the work on? How does the transfer to an out of state sot and back work? ) I know you can make a form 1 suppressor (drill the holes make baffles) then send it to be "recored"

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by Snuff View Post
    I have a parts kit that I'm trying to turn into a sbr. I have the reciever and havent filed for a form 1 yet. The place that's going to do the build for me is in florida and they are a 07ffl / 02 sot. I inquired to them and they said to do the form1 first and then send them reciever and parts kit. How do I go about getting this done? Do I get the form1 then just mail it to them or do I have to contact anyone or ship it from my local ffl?
    From my understanding, this would not be a form 1 situation.

(Berks County)

Quote Originally Posted by TooBigToFit View Post
    I could be very wrong here, but if you're not the person putting it together, then you're not supposed to be doing the Form 1 right? Isn't the maker supposed to do it? If you're having someone else do it, aren't you supposed to Form 3 it from them to your dealer, from which you do a Form 4?
    Quote Originally Posted by icp4life162005 View Post
    From my understanding, this would not be a form 1 situation.
    Curious as well. Form 1 is to manufacture an NFA item. If OP is not the one manufacturing, that seems right. OTOH, people have purchased pistols, filed Form 1, and sent the pistol and stock, along with copy of Forms 1, to a smith to be modified to accept the stock and have it installed.

(Bucks County)

https://www.atf.gov/firearms/qa/may-...urposes-repair I found that on the q&a on atf website. Would a parts kit be considered a purpose of repair... and it says "suggested" to let the atf know, not that it is mandatory.

No idea how I cant find anything on Google this has to be a semi common question.

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by Snuff View Post
    https://www.atf.gov/firearms/qa/may-...urposes-repair I found that on the q&a on atf website. Would a parts kit be considered a purpose of repair... and it says "suggested" to let the atf know, not that it is mandatory.

No idea how I cant find anything on Google this has to be a semi common question.
    It's not an NFA firearm that you're sending to the person, it's a box of parts.

IMO (standard IANAL disclaimer), if you're receiving it as an NFA firearm, it goes on a Form 4.

(Washington County)

I'm just going to say that it is a common practice in the AK building world to have form 1 SBRs assembled by a smith. At least, it was common 5 years or so ago. I have not looked into it lately. Despite that, there has been resistance shown to this practice, here on this board before.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast