Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Allegheny County)

Question Lee progressive press

First let me say I would call Lee and asked them, but with this virus you can't get through easily.
    So were all talking about the same thing, it's the dispenser on the four hole press. For about two years now is consistently thrown 4.2 grains of bull's-eye powder. This past week it started throwing 4.1 and on occasion 4.0 . I looked over the dispenser and I don't see any place that makes micro adjustments. My question is has anybody encountered this. Thanks Joe

(Bucks County)

Default Re: Lee progressive press

I don't have one, but I do have a Redding #3 powder dispenser.

If the Lee works the same way, I'm guessing one of two things...both having to do with a change in volume. One would be accumulated chopped powder occupying crevices that needs to be cleaned out, and/or wear on whatever stops the crank at the beginning or end of the throw.

If you wanted to throw (example) 2.7 grains of Unique, wouldn't you need to adjust it to throw that? Can't you adjust it to regain the 4.2 of Bullseye?
    Last edited by Bang; June 13th, 2020 at 03:52 PM.
    There are two kinds of guns. Those I have acquired, and those I hope to.

(Bucks County)

Is this the powder measure that uses a disk with different sized holes? If it is give it a good cleaning with alcohol to remove any buildup. Then check your scale. The Lee scales are the worst thing they have in their kits.

Then don't worry about it. You are not going to tell the difference between 4.2 and 4.1 grains of Bullseye

(Allegheny County)

Thanks Delkal, you were right on the money when you said it needed cleaned with alcohol. I couldn't believe how much residue there was in there, I must've used 20 Q tips before it came clean. Now it's back to throwing 4.2 grains again.
    I have an electronic scale that's quick and easy. Thanks again Joe