Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 4 of 14 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast
    (Bucks County)

Default Re: OAKS (Eagle Arms) July 18th and 19th, 2020

Yes, heard it correctly. 25 people indoors...250 outdoors. Although, the PA Dept of Health's court case was dropped against Carlisle Productions.

After hearing about the huge problems with testing and releasing the accurate figures in Florida...I'm wondering about the rhetoric coming from "officials"...

(Berks County)

Ok if a certain member puts his stuff at the front window and if streaker makes a huge batch of pickles and puts the barrel and a lock box at the mailbox we all could simulate a terrific show by drive by.
    The Gun is the Badge of a Free Man

(York County)

so a bit off clarity on several issues here:

Price gouging: Depends solely upon what you consider gouging. Does a $1200 price tag on a Mossberg 590A1 mean price gouging? if you answered yes, then check gun broker because that is what they have been selling for. does that mean that i would personally mark one up to $1200...not at all. I think that is stupid, BUT if I can get $1200 for it on gun broker and I know I won't get another one for months then guess im putting it on gun broker. I have been trying to survive on 6% profit margins for the last 14 months all the while some guy pulls up buds gun shop on his phone and says I. can get this $4 cheaper on buds, can you take $20 off? trust me, I try to buy from private sellers, distributers, and other outlets but prices on my end are being raised. distributer prices are up, private sellers often times want more for a used gun and a new one, etc.

Inventory levels: backorders....sure! Shipping delays...up to 3 months on some items. Some of my distributers are shipping within a week, other items I am still waiting for 3 months after I ordered them. I fully know know that if I order something today, I won't get it for 2-3 weeks at best and you cant prep for a show like that. When I do get something in, it is sold within minutes and sometimes I don't even have the time to put a price tag on it. What many people don't realize is that there is a shortage right now on firearms because our imports are shut down. once an import from Asia or Europe hits our shores, it sits in customs for months and waits to be inspected and released. its a bottle neck that was always time consuming and tedious, but now with shortages of staff to clear said shipments and the shutdown in Asia and Europe....we aren't getting and firearms from them. don't look to get much from imports for a good long time either. domestic producers are still making firearms but they learned a valuable lesson from Sandy Hook and will not repeat that failure.

Dealers coming to shows: I am a guy who strictly sold only at shows as I am a home based FFL dealer. But when all of this broke out I didn't have any traffic to make money. so I moved my entire inventory to a friends shop where it all sold in days. I have nothing left and as stated above, its near impossible to get anything. I spend all day and most of the night on the computer trying to buy, but there isn't anything out there to buy.

so, with dealers doing so well in their shops, why would we pack up on Thursday, load the truck on Friday, set up Friday afternoon, sit in the show all day Saturday and Sunday, load up Sunday evening, unpack Sunday night, and then put everything back in place on Monday and do paperwork when we could just stay at the shop and sell as much without doing all of that work? most people don't realize just how much work and how expensive it is to set up and at a show, but I can tell you its not easy or fun most of the time. that being said, with the restrictions on gatherings, I don't think we are going to see shows any time soon. I miss the shows a bit as I love to see friends and I enjoy the face to face interactions, but I have noticed that there are two distinct shoppers in the market right now. those that want something very specific like a compact carry 9mm pistol with a 30 round magazine....and those who know that that expectation is ridiculous and buy what is available.

(Delaware County)

Quote Originally Posted by Marines55 View Post
    so a bit off clarity on several issues here:

Price gouging: Depends solely upon what you consider gouging. Does a $1200 price tag on a Mossberg 590A1 mean price gouging? if you answered yes, then check gun broker because that is what they have been selling for. does that mean that i would personally mark one up to $1200...not at all. I think that is stupid, BUT if I can get $1200 for it on gun broker and I know I won't get another one for months then guess im putting it on gun broker. I have been trying to survive on 6% profit margins for the last 14 months all the while some guy pulls up buds gun shop on his phone and says I. can get this $4 cheaper on buds, can you take $20 off? trust me, I try to buy from private sellers, distributers, and other outlets but prices on my end are being raised. distributer prices are up, private sellers often times want more for a used gun and a new one, etc.

Inventory levels: backorders....sure! Shipping delays...up to 3 months on some items. Some of my distributers are shipping within a week, other items I am still waiting for 3 months after I ordered them. I fully know know that if I order something today, I won't get it for 2-3 weeks at best and you cant prep for a show like that. When I do get something in, it is sold within minutes and sometimes I don't even have the time to put a price tag on it. What many people don't realize is that there is a shortage right now on firearms because our imports are shut down. once an import from Asia or Europe hits our shores, it sits in customs for months and waits to be inspected and released. its a bottle neck that was always time consuming and tedious, but now with shortages of staff to clear said shipments and the shutdown in Asia and Europe....we aren't getting and firearms from them. don't look to get much from imports for a good long time either. domestic producers are still making firearms but they learned a valuable lesson from Sandy Hook and will not repeat that failure.

Dealers coming to shows: I am a guy who strictly sold only at shows as I am a home based FFL dealer. But when all of this broke out I didn't have any traffic to make money. so I moved my entire inventory to a friends shop where it all sold in days. I have nothing left and as stated above, its near impossible to get anything. I spend all day and most of the night on the computer trying to buy, but there isn't anything out there to buy.

so, with dealers doing so well in their shops, why would we pack up on Thursday, load the truck on Friday, set up Friday afternoon, sit in the show all day Saturday and Sunday, load up Sunday evening, unpack Sunday night, and then put everything back in place on Monday and do paperwork when we could just stay at the shop and sell as much without doing all of that work? most people don't realize just how much work and how expensive it is to set up and at a show, but I can tell you its not easy or fun most of the time. that being said, with the restrictions on gatherings, I don't think we are going to see shows any time soon. I miss the shows a bit as I love to see friends and I enjoy the face to face interactions, but I have noticed that there are two distinct shoppers in the market right now. those that want something very specific like a compact carry 9mm pistol with a 30 round magazine....and those who know that that expectation is ridiculous and buy what is available.

Thank you for taking the time to post this. The above is a very realistic and truthful presentation of a dealers perspective on gun shows. While it's true for any gun show, it's particularly meaningful in this current situation. I'm hoping to be able to walk over and say Hi in August but I kinda doubt that's gonna happen.

Bob D

(York County)

hope to see you there, but who knows with the current clown running the state.

(Bucks County)

25 people indoors is absurd. I've seen bathroom lines longer then that at other shows.
    Fuck...and I need some things and want to go
    It is difficult to free fools from the chains they revere. Voltaire

(Berks County)

New restrictions announced. Doubt it will happen.
    The Gun is the Badge of a Free Man

(Bucks County)

I just went to the Oaks website. The Eagle Arms show is not listed on their calendar. (Or am I missing something obvious?)

There is a craft event listed on the same dates in August, as "cancelled"...

(York County)

Quote Originally Posted by MattMPA View Post
    I just went to the Oaks website. The Eagle Arms show is not listed on their calendar. (Or am I missing something obvious?)

There is a craft event listed on the same dates in August, as "cancelled"...
    you aren't missing anything. tentative show dates are being cancelled frequently and under the new orders of the GOV, don't expect a show of any size to happen.

(Philadelphia County)

an outdoor show would be a cool F you move to the Gov - or just call it a protest and do it where i am in phila... in fact that was my idea for the mummers, if anyone knows the dude who runs them, pass this idea along, "yes we totally understand and will comply with the order to not parade down broad on jan 1st... instead we are planning a march down broad to protest 'inequality' and whoever wants to support us can come and line up on either side of broad st" (F our mayor)

outdoor show in the NE phila armory parking lot, its fenced, secure... room to social distance & bbq, thats my vote.

of course, handtrucks on grass and hauling gear would suck but its a nice idea at least

hey! trunk parking lot gunshow! yes...
    Last edited by bugout; July 17th, 2020 at 11:50 PM.

Page 4 of 14 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast