Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    (Bucks County)

Default Why are there so few decent and affordable bolt action rifles that use Stanag mags?

I'd like to own a non rimfire bolt action again, but i don't want to go through the cost of spare magazines all over again.

Sure i could just go with a traditional floorplate, but that seems limiting when there are so many models with box magazines on the market now.

I saw the Mossberg MVP, Ruger American Predator, and Ruger American Ranch. Not all of the Ruger models use the Stanag mags either.

It just seems like a no brainer to me to have rifles share magazines. But instead Ruger just wants to sell me their crazy overpriced AI magazines (yeah, i stupidly bought a Ruger scout when it was introduced).

-Zach

(Clearfield County)

Default Re: Why are there so few decent and affordable bolt action rifles that use Stanag mag

the AR mag release system is not designed for a bolt action, so it takes extra engineering to add one.

Default Re: Why are there so few decent and affordable bolt action rifles that use Stanag mag

Because real rifleman don't need more than 5 rounds with a bolt action rifle. One is usually sufficient.
    I don't speak English , I talk American!

(Clearfield County)

Quote Originally Posted by abner13 View Post
    Because real rifleman don't need more than 5 rounds with a bolt action rifle. One is usually sufficient.
    OK bill ruger

(Philadelphia County)

Probably not enough of a demand for one.

(Bucks County)

So i can assume you only have single shot rifles?

The fact is, i don't need a bolt action rifle at all. I want one. And arguing that capacity is unnecessary is a slippery slope. But the real reason (as I've already said) is that i don't want to have to buy several expensive magazines to keep around when i have a bunch of inexpensive AR 15 mags around already. It isn't like I'm talking about benching a 30 round magazine, and even if i was, who cares?

I suspect that if the cartridge in question were 22lr, you'd feel differently about having only 1 cartridge at a time.

-Zach

Bolt action rifles with removeable magazines are definitely in the sub-minority. There have been a few for hunters who think they will have a need to change bullet styles , or whatever.

And a removeable magazine is just one more variable. One more thing to go wrong , or lose.

Quote Originally Posted by zachomega View Post
    So i can assume you only have single shot rifles.

I suspect that if the cartridge in question were 22lr, you'd feel differently about having only 1 cartridge at a time.

-Zach
    Several. My hunting rifle consist of a Ruger M-77 (5-shot internal mag) and a Ruger No.1 , a single shot.

And the only .22 rifle I currently own is a Savage 1919NRA with removeable 5-shot mag. And those mags often bring more than I paid for the rifle.

I sold my falling block single shot Savage .22 a couple years ago.

Since I sold my No.4 Mk.I a few weeks ago , I don't own any center bolt actions with removeable mags.

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by zachomega View Post
    So i can assume you only have single shot rifles?

The fact is, i don't need a bolt action rifle at all. I want one. And arguing that capacity is unnecessary is a slippery slope. But the real reason (as I've already said) is that i don't want to have to buy several expensive magazines to keep around when i have a bunch of inexpensive AR 15 mags around already. It isn't like I'm talking about benching a 30 round magazine, and even if i was, who cares?

-Zach
    I suspect he was joking. You know smiley face,lol,haha. That sort of thing.

(Bucks County)

Bolt action rifles with removeable magazines are definitely in the sub-minority. There have been a few for hunters who think they will have a need to change bullet styles , or whatever.

And a removeable magazine is just one more variable. One more thing to go wrong , or lose.
    I agree. But I'm not exactly looking for a battle rifle. Just something fun. Wasn't the old tube fed Marlin thing something like "shoot all day"? Same idea.

And just to clarify on my bold words above, i didn't mean them with any sort of hostility. I meant them in that, i don't need a bolt action rifle, but if I'm going to have one, it'd be nice to have exactly what i wanted.

You lose an ar15 magazine and you don't sweat it. You lose an AI magazine and you are understandably upset.

The funny thing to me is, even when I had a magazine fed bolt action, i was pretty much just single feeding it anyway. I like the options.

And perhaps it is just what I've been seeing lately (and not the direction the industry is actually moving) but it looks to me like detachable box magazines are becoming fairly standard.

-Zach
    P.S. i completely get that the initial response was probably tongue in cheek. But even if it wasn't, that's okay too.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast