Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Default Re: Sub-compact double-stack pistols?

The real issue with the P365 with a manual safety is finding one. I wanted the MS version of P365 and no one had one available. All LGS I called or visited said they couldn't get them. This was three weeks ago. That may have changed recently, as all things do.

I bought a Manual Safety kit from Osage County Guns. It was $70, but it came with a grip module that was pre-cut for the safety. I didn't need to buy the whole kit; you can get the safety, spring and detent separately from Osage or Mid West Gun Works, though they are often out of stock. But I figured if I ever needed to send the gun back to Sig for work, I could easily swap out everything and make it stock again. Plus I now have a second grip module to screw around with if I want to.

I really like my P365. More so now that I have the flat trigger installed. The curved trigger bit me, the flat one does not. The trigger pull on mine is light and crisp. Which is why I wanted the manual safety. My favorite holster is a N8 Tactical IWB that uses an elastic band instead of a rigid shell. Most comfortable holster I've ever worn. But the trade off is, there's enough flex in the material that, even though the trigger guard is covered, the trigger could still get snagged putting the holster on. I carried a 1911 for several years, I have a Sig P938 that is part of my regular rotation, as well. I'm comfortable working a safety as part of my draw. I know people argue that a manual safety is one more thing to break, but in 40+ years of shooting, I've only ever had one safety fail and it was the right side lever on my FNP-45. The lever is pressed on and had a nasty habit of popping off. A design flaw that FN still hasn't fixed. Had to go aftermarket.

I am a fan of Glock 43X,I do own Taurus G2C also both dependable with a $ 250 difference between the two ! I will add that the Taurus outshoots the Glock in accuracy,but Glock is a bit more comfortable to CCW .
    Last edited by MARINE DIVISION TWO; June 15th, 2020 at 08:32 AM.

I know there isn't a lot of love for Springfield Armory from their business dealing ends but my SA Hellcat is a great choice. I have big hands and found between the Hellcat and the SS 365, the Hellcat was much more comfortable to shoot and gave me the grip I require on a sub compact. It costs less than the Sig and holds one more round. The Taurus is much less $$ and I have handled them but never shot one. I have heard nothing but praise for it as well. There are a lot of choices now in subs. It took awhile before I did my upgrade. As Edger says............choose wisely!
    Engineers make things idiot proof! Evolution makes better idiots!

(Lancaster County)

A little chunkier and heavier, but the CZ 2075 RAMI is a great little gun. Double stack and your choice of manual safety or decocker.

(Dauphin County)

Quote Originally Posted by ethangsmith View Post
    A little chunkier and heavier, but the CZ 2075 RAMI is a great little gun. Double stack and your choice of manual safety or decocker.
    Yep, I love CZ's, and wouldn't mind a RAMI for myself. They are a bit chunky, and I don't think they are a true sub-compact, and don't meet the parameters of what he is looking for. The price is probably out of his range, too.
    Power always thinks...that it is doing God's service when it is violating all his laws.

(Montgomery County)

Smith & Wesson M&P 2.0 Subcompact in 9mm. Carry with flush mag, and it takes the longer mags as well. It comes with a sleeve for using the larger capacity mags and palm swells for changing the grip size.

(Delaware County)

Out of your choices I'd go with the p365. Easily slip it in a waist band or pocket. You can get a 10, 12 or 15 round magazine. I normally carry this in the summer and literally disappears on me and I'm not a big guy. If he is a BIG guy with big hands, may want to try it out first to make sure its not too small for his hands. Very reliable and for a 3" barrel very accurate out to 10 yards. Good luck.

(Dauphin County)

Thanks for all the input folks. My SIL got over the idea of needing a manual safety simply by watching some firearm safety videos and grasping that pistols don't really just go bang without user input, and that the operator is the safety, regardless of how many mechanical safety features a pistol has. He settled on the Canik TP9SC after I gave him a report after handling and shooting one at the western group shoot a few weeks ago. He purchased one last week, with the SMS optic included, since it was the only one in stock at Trop in E-town. Yes, with the optic (claimed $400 MSRP, I've seen for sale at $350) it was pricier than he wanted, but he didn't want to lose it and and have to wait for weeks or months to find another. They package is pretty nice, though. Two magazines, a kydex holster, interchangeable grips, magazine baseplate extension, and the red-dot. Hopefully we get to the range this weekend to check it out.
    Power always thinks...that it is doing God's service when it is violating all his laws.

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by ROCK-IT3 View Post
    Thanks for all the input folks. My SIL got over the idea of needing a manual safety simply by watching some firearm safety videos and grasping that pistols don't really just go bang without user input, and that the operator is the safety, regardless of how many mechanical safety features a pistol has. He settled on the Canik TP9SC after I gave him a report after handling and shooting one at the western group shoot a few weeks ago. He purchased one last week, with the SMS optic included, since it was the only one in stock at Trop in E-town. Yes, with the optic (claimed $400 MSRP, I've seen for sale at $350) it was pricier than he wanted, but he didn't want to lose it and and have to wait for weeks or months to find another. They package is pretty nice, though. Two magazines, a kydex holster, interchangeable grips, magazine baseplate extension, and the red-dot. Hopefully we get to the range this weekend to check it out.
    Sounds like a very good option!

I suggest you or someone else experienced with shooting handguns zero the optic. Might cause a new shooter some angst if he doesn't know if he's not making hits due to the zero or due to his fundamentals.

(Dauphin County)

Quote Originally Posted by jthrelf View Post
    Sounds like a very good option!

I suggest you or someone else experienced with shooting handguns zero the optic. Might cause a new shooter some angst if he doesn't know if he's not making hits due to the zero or due to his fundamentals.
    Good suggestion. I actually told him he should take the red dot off until he learns how to shoot (it is his first firearm). Maybe we will get to make a range trip tomorrow.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast