Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Default Re: Sub-compact double-stack pistols?

Quote Originally Posted by ROCK-IT3 View Post
    Good suggestion. I actually told him he should take the red dot off until he learns how to shoot (it is his first firearm). Maybe we will get to make a range trip tomorrow.
    I agree 100%.

It*s can be challenging for experienced shooters to get used to the dot because it*s way less forgiving then iron sights. I bet is can really screw with new shooters since they will be chasing the dot that never stands still.

Great recent video on it from a very experienced handgun shooter. While he talks about the ACRO sight in the video it applies to all red dots.

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by Hodgie View Post
    I agree 100%.

It*s can be challenging for experienced shooters to get used to the dot because it*s way less forgiving then iron sights. I bet is can really screw with new shooters since they will be chasing the dot that never stands still.

Great recent video on it from a very experienced handgun shooter. While he talks about the ACRO sight in the video it applies to all red dots.

I do have to wonder, if he's not used to iron sights, if having him get used to using the red dot first would reduce the need to stumble over the "I'm too used to using irons" hill. Though part of getting used to the red dot sight picture is getting a good presentation, which isn't necessarily the first thing you learn as a shooter (safety, grip, sight alignment/picture, trigger control).

NOT saying that's what he should do, just thinking out loud. I typically like learning irons first.

(Dauphin County)

Quote Originally Posted by Hodgie View Post
    I agree 100%.

Thanks Hodgie, good video. I just had a conversation with the SIL, and he agrees it would be a good idea to learn to shoot the pistol with the iron sights first.
    Power always thinks...that it is doing God's service when it is violating all his laws.

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by TooBigToFit View Post
    I do have to wonder, if he's not used to iron sights, if having him get used to using the red dot first would reduce the need to stumble over the "I'm too used to using irons" hill. Though part of getting used to the red dot sight picture is getting a good presentation, which isn't necessarily the first thing you learn as a shooter (safety, grip, sight alignment/picture, trigger control).

NOT saying that's what he should do, just thinking out loud. I typically like learning irons first.
    I think there are pros and cons to both so as long as good trigger press and grip fundamentals are learned, the first type of sight picture learned isn't critical.

(Montgomery County)

Double stack, 10 rounds flush?

Now that manual safety is agreed to not be a worry... how in the heck is the venerable Glock 26 not in the running?

I had myself convinced by the marketing that one was bigger than I wanted for EDC, but it's totally not. I carry it in the same pocket I used to keep my 43. G19 mag and PMAG27 for reloads, because the world is going friggin' insane. P365 doesn't have a big stick mag as far as I know...

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by bluetrane2028 View Post

Now that manual safety is agreed to not be a worry... how in the heck is the venerable Glock 26 not in the running?

I had myself convinced by the marketing that one was bigger than I wanted for EDC, but it's totally not. I carry it in the same pocket I used to keep my 43. G19 mag and PMAG27 for reloads, because the world is going friggin' insane. P365 doesn't have a big stick mag as far as I know...
    P365 has 15 round magazines available with 30rounders allegedly in the works.
    Oh and the 15rd mag is only about an inch longer than the 10

(Dauphin County)

The Canik TP9SC is 12 rounds flush, 15 rounds extended available, and has a really nice trigger out-of-the-box. The price of the pistol itself was a factor. I don't know what the MSRP of the Glock 26 is, but I bet it is $100-150 more than than the Canik. He got the Canik and a $350 red dot for maybe $100 more than a Glock 26 without a red dot. And besides all that, the Canik is aesthetically pleasing, whereas the Glock....
    Power always thinks...that it is doing God's service when it is violating all his laws.

(Blair County)

Agreed, i have a p365 and a G26 Ive carried for 7 or 8 years. The p 365 has a nicer hybrid holster. Even still, 9 times out of ten I carry the G26. Its not really as much bigger as it seems. Its a more familiar draw for me and I can keep a coulple 33 rounders in the car.

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by ROCK-IT3 View Post
    The Canik TP9SC is 12 rounds flush, 15 rounds extended available, and has a really nice trigger out-of-the-box. The price of the pistol itself was a factor. I don't know what the MSRP of the Glock 26 is, but I bet it is $100-150 more than than the Canik. He got the Canik and a $350 red dot for maybe $100 more than a Glock 26 without a red dot. And besides all that, the Canik is aesthetically pleasing, whereas the Glock....
    I had to look up the Canik. I was surprised that when I looked up a comparison the 26 was thinner, lighter, and smaller. Not something normally attributed to it.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234