Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association

Default My new P226 after a couple of upgrades.

Picked up a new Sig P226 a couple of weeks ago and figured I'd show it off now that I got it all done up the way I want it. It's just a plain Nitron, that came with the E2 grips.

20200606-205631.jpg

20200606-205646.jpg

20200606-205717.jpg

Installed the SRT kit, and Gray Guns dual adjustable trigger. Adjusted all the pre-travel and over-travel out of it, and with the SRT kit it makes an already great factory trigger, excellent. When you put your finger on the double action trigger, there is NO slack. It's solid and as soon as the trigger moves, the hammer moves with it. And in single action, the trigger breaks and just STOPS, the movement from it's rearmost stop to the reset is not even an 1/8th inch. You just think about it and it's already reset, ready for the next shot.

Also added a set of Hogue checkered Rosewood grips. I was originally gonna go for their checkered, all-black G10 panels, but decided the combo of wood grips and railed frame gave it a kinda Retro-Tactical Chic vibe to it I like the contrast it gives the pistol. The gun originally came with a standard trigger and E2 grips, and even though the wood panels are quite a bit thicker all around than the E2 grips, I feel like I have a much easier reach to the trigger with this setup. The GG trigger is already profiled somewhere between the standard Sig trigger and the skinny Short Reach trigger of the E2 models. Also, taking out the extra pre-travel allows the trigger to rest a bit further back in double action, so that also helps reduce the reach. In the end, combined, the effect is probably the same as the factory Short Reach trigger, but keeping the classic fat trigger look (Short Reach trigger just looks too skinny on such a bulky gun) also the face of the GG trigger is rounded all the way across unlike the standard factory trigger that is flat in the middle and rounded off at the edges.
    This combined with the fact that while the E2 grips are skinnier, I find that they're not really skinnier in the one place it counts, namely the backstrap where the web of your thumb goes. The metal frame extends down a good bit into that area, so unless you feel like taking a dremel to your gun, you can't really reduce that area. So the E2 grips reduce the area immediately below that. While that does give you a shorter reach, it forces your hand lower down on the grip to get that benefit, which kinda exacerbates the whole high bore-axis issue that Sigs are famous for. If I try to grip the gun up high with my hand tucked right under the beavertail, I just end up right back where I would have been with standard grips, except now there's a weird hollow spot just below the web of my thumb. To me, the wood grips help me get a better grip on the gun, and fill the hand nicely without really affecting the trigger reach to a noticeable degree. Even when I tried wood grips with the stock trigger, the E2 grips just didn't really feel like they made it any easier to reach the trigger with.

Last thing left is just waiting on an order of Sig grip medallions from ebay. They'll finish the wood grips off nicely. Some 18rnd MecGar mags, to give this gun the ammo capacity to back up it's size. Gonna be my new EDC.
    AK-47s for EVERYONE!!!

(York County)

Default Re: My new P226 after a couple of upgrades.

Looks great! The p226 is my favorite pistol.