Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    (Centre County)

Default Re: Looking for AR recommendations

A NEW virgin AR lower receiver, whether it is a stripped lower receiver or a completely built lower receiver is classed as an "Other" on the BATFE Form 4473. It does not matter if it is completed with a pistol buffer and/or forearm brace or a rifle buffer with a fixed stock, it is still an "Other" UNTIL you put a completed upper receiver on it. It then becomes either a rifle or a pistol.

BY LAW, if you make a AR rifle initially, you cannot legally change it to a pistol as the law now reads (unless you fill out a Form 1 and pay the tax). If you make it into a pistol, you can, by law, make it into a rifle and then change it back into a pistol. If you try to argue the BATFE Thompson Center Contender decision about making a rifle into a pistol, it may not work. That decision was for the T/C's as you can buy all the makings for a rifle AND and pistol in one package and the BATFE allows a T/C to be made into a rifle and then into a pistol without filing a Form 1. However, if you put a T/C pistol barrel of less that 16 inches on a T/C frame with a rifle buttstock on it, you HAVE created a SBR, so be careful.
    Ron USAF Ret E-8 FFL01/SOT3 NRA Benefactor Member

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by Xringshooter View Post
    A NEW virgin AR lower receiver, whether it is a stripped lower receiver or a completely built lower receiver is classed as an "Other" on the BATFE Form 4473. It does not matter if it is completed with a pistol buffer and/or forearm brace or a rifle buffer with a fixed stock, it is still an "Other" UNTIL you put a completed upper receiver on it. It then becomes either a rifle or a pistol.

BY LAW, if you make a AR rifle initially, you cannot legally change it to a pistol as the law now reads (unless you fill out a Form 1 and pay the tax). If you make it into a pistol, you can, by law, make it into a rifle and then change it back into a pistol. If you try to argue the BATFE Thompson Center Contender decision about making a rifle into a pistol, it may not work. That decision was for the T/C's as you can buy all the makings for a rifle AND and pistol in one package and the BATFE allows a T/C to be made into a rifle and then into a pistol without filing a Form 1. However, if you put a T/C pistol barrel of less that 16 inches on a T/C frame with a rifle buttstock on it, you HAVE created a SBR, so be careful.

And if I make it into a pistol, do I need to feel out any other form? Basically, how do I make sure I stay legal? I don't want an NFA firearm just an AR pistol.

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by Mango View Post
    And if I make it into a pistol, do I need to feel out any other form? Basically, how do I make sure I stay legal? I don't want an NFA firearm just an AR pistol.
    No. You don't have to do anything. Build a pistol and it's a pistol - it's not an NFA item, and there is no additional paperwork that you could fill out even if you wanted to.

Isn't freedom a wonderful thing?
    I called to check my ZIP CODE!....DY-NO-MITE!!!

(Somerset County)

If you can spend up to $1500 hey something quality. If you spend closer to $1200 you have enough left over for a lightly used Aimpoint pro

Top choice would be Centurion Arms CM4. It is $1200 for a CHF chrome lined barrel, pinned gas block, and their very good cmr mlock rail. Best deal out their

BCM recce can be had for $1300-1500.

SOLGW has options

Sionics has options

(Erie County)

Quote Originally Posted by Emptymag View Post
    If you insist on buying it already assembled, consider looking for an upper with a pencil barrel.
    The bulk of an upper's weight is in the barrel, followed by choice of hand guard.
    Lowes are all about the same aside from the stock. Mission First Tactical's Minimalist stock is a solid choice for a lightweight stock.

Complete upper. Complete lower. Easy peasy.

If you want it to be as light as possible though, build it using the exact parts you want.
    Faxon pencil barrels aren't cheap, but they are the best value in a QUALITY pencil barrel, and are about as light as you can get in that league.
    This. Complete upper and complete lower of your choice. Snap together......Good to go.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123