Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Delaware County)

Default Some 870 questions

My nephew asked me for some help on home defense. I recommended an 870 with an 18 or 20" barrel. He liked the idea and did some looking. He got back to me with some questions regarding the 870 DM. I have no experience with the magazine version. Any feedback, plus or minus, on this system would be appreciated. Thanks.

Bob D

(Bucks County)

Default Re: Some 870 questions

Quote Originally Posted by bug View Post
    My nephew asked me for some help on home defense. I recommended an 870 with an 18 or 20" barrel. He liked the idea and did some looking. He got back to me with some questions regarding the 870 DM. I have no experience with the magazine version. Any feedback, plus or minus, on this system would be appreciated. Thanks.

Bob D
    Most people seem to dislike the mag fed pumps. In a semi auto, it makes a bit more sense.

I don't really see a reason you'd be dumping 7 rounds of buckshot and having to immediately feed the tube. Slug change overs may be a bit weird with the mag system, not that it's that important.

Currently I have zero experience with the mag versions, tube fed has been perfectly fine for my pumps and semis. A magazine just seems like a point of failure that the tube fed never had. Stacking rimmed 12g shells on top of each other introduces interferences that a tube magazine doesn't have. Worrying about feed lips, the mag not seating, adding overall bulk to an already large weapon. I'm not old fashioned, and all my gear is definitely on the "tactical" side of the hobby. I run things in that mindset, including running 12g hard and fast for long sessions. Still can't see a reason behind a mag fed pump at all.

The tube fed 870's are tanks. Super reliable, and trusted for decades. Mag fed just seems like a marketing ploy, trying to get into the tacticool mindset.

If I were to be in the market for a home defense pump, the magpul edition 870 Tactical with ghost ring sights and the breacher choke ext, is my top choice. I currently run a semi for that application, and my 18" 870 synthetic stock lives a more sheltered life, lol

Nothing wrong with a regular 870 either. Tons of choices in barrel lengths and furniture.

How familiar is your nephew with firearms?
    Mostly browsing these days, and expanding the collection.

(Bucks County)

This^^^

I never handled or shot a mag loaded 870 but it seems like a silly solution to a problem that does not exist. A standard 870 with a mag extension can hold more rounds and would be more maneuverable since you wouldn't have that large magazine sticking out. Add to that the potential feeding issue with a magazine and for me it is a big thumbs down.

The only plus is I am sure the mag version will appeal to some Tacticool "operators" and Mall ninjas. If you make a vest that holds a dozen loaded mags then you would be ready for anything.

Removeable box mags were standard on most bolt-action shotguns , back when they made bolt-action shotguns.
    I don't speak English , I talk American!

(Chester County)

Quote Originally Posted by bug View Post

Bob D
    I have both Remington 870 and 1100 models for hunting/trap. I wonder if he*s overthinking the magazine though? Perhaps just keep it simple with the Remington or Mossberg models below.

rem-Vs-mossberg-1024x461.jpg

(Carbon County)

When new bolt action slug guns came out with box magazine fed systems, I could not believe it. Some of the most miserable guns to get rid of a feed problem were the early solid and detachable box magazine bolt shotguns. I have no experience with the new guns and don't want it either. That is my opinion.

(Clearfield County)

1. Stay away from new production remingtons, as the quality is shit. There are better guns for less money

2. Especially stay away from the mag fed remingtons. Their feed lips look ridiculously fragile, I'm fairly certain that if you dropped on them they'd snap off or bend to the point of being unusable.

(Bucks County)

I had an 870DM. Never fired it or loaded it. Traded it for another gun. The magwell was just riveted on, and felt cheesy as hell.

Jmho
    1. I don't think shotshells go with mags, especially stored long term, loaded, such as a home.defense gun. I think mags deform shotshells, which causes feeding and extraction issues
    2. I am a huge 870 fan. That said, IF BUYING NEW I would get a Mossberg 500. I do not trust current production Remington production.
    3. I recommend you do not store tube magazine shotguns loaded to capacity. I recommend you field test defensive shotguns and replace mag springs at any time feeding becomes unreliable
    Again, jmho

(Chester County)

Make sure you buy the Police model 870 and not the Express models that have the lower quality components on them. Some people are confused about Remington. They make top quality models for hard use in the Remington Defense line and the make lower quality models for the civilian, hunter and lower budget markets. If you can find a used Remington Defense model they are very reliable but they are difficult to come by right now.Keep the gun simple and practice with it. Have a good sling mounted to it so you can handle other things if you have to.

https://www.remingtondefense.com/shotguns/870-police/

https://www.remington.com/shotguns/p...ion/model-870/

Remington Defense Model 24903

Sargent Friday

Last edited by JenniferG; July 4th, 2020 at 01:31 AM.
    Corruption is the default behavior of government officials. JPC